• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision New Color NV on Display, Netflix, "Night on Earth"

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Mentions use of "new tech" but doesn't go into detail. But it obviously is using the new all color NV I was talking about last year. It was the size of a large shoebox then, sat on a table and looked like it belonged back in the lab and not in the NM desert. Better than technicolor! Only way you can tell these images were shot at night is 1. you can see the stars a lot better and the blue of the sky isn't as bright and 2. shadows, due to the nature of light, are darker than they would be with full saturation and reflected light.

Must see for anyone into NV. One day these'll be the size of a 14...

In truth, I'd rather have one of these than a thermal clip on, no lie. True, thermal has it's advantages but so does the unobstructed naked eye and nobody is using thermal with day optics I figure, so...

Is it that contraption that basically has color wheels in front and rear of a pvs-14, spinning at a high rate(synchronized too iirc)?

I was gonna bring this up in this section but I thought eh surely nobody cares.

Will check it out. Those Sionyx units seem to be a step in the right direction as far as size/weight but most folks say the image quality is somewhere between Gen 1 and Gen 2.

Reactions: Cjwise5
    Hmm. Skipped over that show tonight. I will have to go back and check it out.

No problem, glad you guys can enjoy it. I noticed they use a variety of tech, but the one we all would be interested in was showcased best i think on the African plains. You'll notice it, it'll look like day only with denser shadows (because there isn't any sunlight reflecting in the background and since light diminishes at 1/D^2 it's even dimmer at night) and a "funny" looking sky.

Are you talking about this??

Edit: Finally read the title past New Color NV, ?.
    I'll check it out!

No, but they probably used that too. And white hot thermal. They use a myriad of techniques, not just one. I can't find the particular thing I posted on here about it, it was a year or two ago I suppose, but this picture looks a lot like what it can produce --I'm guessing there's more than one player in this now. But it was nothing you could walk around with, was the size of a large shoe box and had a large cooling apparatus connected --but it all starts out that way.

This is what to expect though. This was taken at night and the stars are what gives it away, but look closely and some of their gear hints to that as well.

x27-color-night-vision.jpg

So Vic, when these coming out at 1lb. or less, $4k or under and fit common shrouds?

Oh, and it's a cool nature show at any rate...

Also it may have solved a mystery --when I moved here last late Oct./Nov., families of black tail deer would come waltzing down the street in the middle of a town... Then they just stopped? Haven't seen 'em since. Apparently in Anchorage though, it's a big deal every Halloween for moose to show up for the pumpkins and Jack-o-lanterns. Can only guess...

Next time I'll just get in the pack and follow along, it's not like you can scare a black tail off anyway.

You'd be surprised how next gen (even current gen) NV is being used. Your observation of the celestial clarity is rather astute. Now think about how that might help someone.... :cool:

I was just watching that shit last night and telling my gf one day that’ll be a clip on.

Mentions use of "new tech" but doesn't go into detail. But it obviously is using the new all color NV I was talking about last year. It was the size of a large shoebox then, sat on a table and looked like it belonged back in the lab and not in the NM desert. Better than technicolor! Only way you can tell these images were shot at night is 1. you can see the stars a lot better and the blue of the sky isn't as bright and 2. shadows, due to the nature of light, are darker than they would be with full saturation and reflected light.

Must see for anyone into NV. One day these'll be the size of a 14...

In truth, I'd rather have one of these than a thermal clip on, no lie. True, thermal has it's advantages but so does the unobstructed naked eye and nobody is using thermal with day optics I figure, so...

depends...if you are talking detection and observation and shooting of prey, game etc then thermal has no equal...even unobstructed color vision.

Reactions: deersniper
    depends...if you are talking detection and observation and shooting of prey, game etc then thermal has no equal...even unobstructed color vision.

Edit: I see you edited your comment about the stars (so I edited my response appropriately). Hyperspectral sensors certainly have some rather interesting and useful characteristics....

No problem, glad you guys can enjoy it. I noticed they use a variety of tech, but the one we all would be interested in was showcased best i think on the African plains. You'll notice it, it'll look like day only with denser shadows (because there isn't any sunlight reflecting in the background and since light diminishes at 1/D^2 it's even dimmer at night) and a "funny" looking sky.

No, but they probably used that too. And white hot thermal. They use a myriad of techniques, not just one. I can't find the particular thing I posted on here about it, it was a year or two ago I suppose, but this picture looks a lot like what it can produce --I'm guessing there's more than one player in this now. But it was nothing you could walk around with, was the size of a large shoe box and had a large cooling apparatus connected --but it all starts out that way.

This is what to expect though. This was taken at night and the stars are what gives it away, but look closely and some of their gear hints to that as well.

x27-color-night-vision.jpg

So Vic, when these coming out at 1lb. or less, $4k or under and fit common shrouds?
    What’s in that jar on the hood?

And when are we gonna see clip on models fused with thermal?

An awesome oral antiseptic for when you can't brush your teeth regularly....

Watched this recently, seem to remember maybe seeing something like this
    on here with guys walking at distances for target identification.

R

Wow, ridiculously good content.

The lens used for the Cheetah scenes seemed aweful fast as the depth of field was just so extremely shallow.

In the behind the scenes episode I saw, relating to the ultra low light camera footage, the use of a Panasonic Varicam (35?), IR Converted Sony a7 series (S or SII) and a RED cinema camera. It was hard to tell but a couple frames might have also shown an ARRI and a Canon professional.

Watched a bit of it doesn't seem to deal with fast movements of the animals very well without allot of blur

I've been trying to find details on the equipment used to film the show but so far not too much out there. There was another similar series called Planet Earth II and in it they used a Sony A7S II full frame camera which is spectacular in low light. But what was really impressive were the IR modified RED 6K cameras and the thermal.

Equipment Used To Film Night Scene Of Planet Earth II

I believe the thermal they used came from a company called Leonardo DRS and its called the SLX SuperHawk.

SLX SuperHawk