• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Colt Bolt action .308

Ultraman550

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2011
Utah
I just saw one of these yesterday and it's pretty sweet looking. I was looking over the chassis and it really looks a lot like the one Accurate Mag is bringing to the market except the forearms are quite different. It comes with a 5 round Acccurate Mag so I'm wondering if there is a joint venture?

Attachments

• IMG_4039.jpg
    IMG_4039.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 11
I've seen one shot at a sponsor day "people were hogging it" and I didn't get to shoot it unfortunately, but it looked like it shot very well, since it was being shot a ton and it had one of leupold mk6 scopes on it. I'd give it a go if its a good price, I've shot colts other bolt action with the hs stock and it was pretty nice.

That's the M2012. I have not gotten to handle one, but reports show result that are "fair" at best, especially when you consider the pricetag.

Here's my "issues" with the rifle (at least the one pictured above):

1) .308win ONLY for the model with the chassis (and ONLY .260Rem is a secondary caliber available one one other model in that lineup);

2) accuracy "guaranteed" only to an awe-inspiring 1MOA based on a 3-shot group at 100yds (WTF Colt?!?! Really??);

3) 10" twist, 22" Shaw barrel (or at least "licensed" by ER Shaw whatever the hell that means); and...perhaps best of all,

4) price tag of close to $4k (the one I saw had a $3,800 tag on it...can't make out the price on the pic above, but it looks like ~ $3,600)!

Thanks a lot Colt...but I'll gladly pass right on by for those features for that kind of money! Too many other fish in the sea to even pause to look at that one...unless of course you just want to "pay" for the Colt name/horsey! ;)

I've handled 2 of them now and both of them had the handguard move side to side by squeezing it to the barrel. I have to believe it would not be stable on a bipod. I really wasn't impressed.

Looks like they are for sale at Buds right now: Buy Colt Rifles

$2300 for .308
$2500 for .260

and $3100 for another, not sure what differentiates it.

Comes with a Timney trigger and some other aftermarket stuff. Doesn't sound like a horrible price if they shoot decent. Full chassis factory rifle for under $2500.

the 2300 and 2400 priced colt 2012's at buds have the laminate wood stock while the 2600 has a manners stock and the 3100 has the aluminum colt chassis.

Once again Colt has missed the mark. If they would just increase the quality of their current offerings then they would see an increase in sales. If they would actually produce decent numbers of SAA revolvers that would be nice. Right now you have to solve a masonic puzzle, and do exploding fistbumps with the owner of Colt to get a new SAA from them, but I digress.

I feel their prices coupled with their current reputation for lack of quality will make this a losing proposition for Colt. Not only that, but for that money you can almost get rifle that is guaranteed .5 MOA.

Er Shaw barrels are bottom of the barrel.

My Model 70 .308 has a Shaw barrel, and I am able to hold consistent sub MOA groups, usually around the .5 mark(on the plus side but close) on my better days, better if I throw it in a vise/rest to zero. Im not going to say they are the go to accurate budget barrel manufacturer, I talked to the owner a few times face to face, and his unwillingness to guarantee any accuracy under any conditions, even from the factory in their optimal conditions, made me nervous enough to not buy another for my 2 builds currently in progress. I will admit without shooting other Shaw barrels, I may have gotten lucky, or got one of the older barrels before he went mass production quality be damned...

That being said, if the rest of the fit and finish on the Colts are sketchy, if you have a luck of the draw barrel in regards to accuracy, the luck may run out before you hit your target.