• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Colt CM901 Questions.

Cfl Mike

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2011
The Land of Nod
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I took a quick glance to try to place this in the right spot. I also didnt want to have to sign up for another forum site for 1 question. Anyways here goes; I have been looking for a new assault rifle style gun, and upon my research, I came across this new Colt CM901. It seems like a really nice gun but I have a few questions I hope someone can answer, because there isnt loads of information out on this thing yet.

First, I have read a few different articles, that have a conflicting story, and I cant really see for myself due to lack of content. I know I read at least one that stated it was a piston driven rifle; while I had at least 1 other one saying it was direct gas. So does anyone know for sure? (It says on the Colt website its direct gas for the SP901, but it looks like a different model than what im looking for so I cant say for sure)

Next, it doesnt seem like its out yet, at least for civilians, correct me if I am wrong here. So does anyone know a release date and prices (most of my research indicated in the 2K range)?

Most importantly does anyone here have any experience with it? There are some articles on it, but not really reviews, although admittedly I havent dug really deep just yet so hope you guys can help me out. So a review would be awesome. Also if any of you have how would you say it compares to a Scar?

Any good input is appreciated, thanks.

Re: New Colt CM901 Questions.

I called Colt awhile back about this and they reverberated what was going around the internet at the time; that they are waiting on patents on the parts enabling the caliber conversion to be awarded before releasing it, and they said they were expecting it to come out in fall. Obviously that isn't true.

Lol, yea I am really starting to have second thoughts about that gun, I think I might just straight shoot to the SCAR. Though when I first started reading about the 901, I had high hopes.

I believe the upper of the CM901 is supposed to be interchangeable, initially colt was supposed to have DI, then later have piston or some type of hybrid upper. Please forgive me, but I read on ARfcom that they might have the CM901 available maybe Feb 2012 or slightly later.

As of today if you'd go and look at the Colt Defense website you won't even see the CM901 listed. On the Colt Manufacturing website there is the SP901 listed, and it is a di gas system. Looking at earlier videos some had them telling us it was a piston, while others di. Going by Colt's website I'd say it is di. However it looks like there is going to be a 6940 with a piston coming out. It will be quite interesting to see exactly how that pans out for them. The way it sounds there is something unique about it over other piston systems available on the market.

Yea that is what I was talking about, from what I saw from their website, the SP901, but it was my assumption from research that was to be the civilian model.

Anyways, I have been doing more reading, and it seems like some hate it, and some still have their hopes up. From what you guys see now (now I understand that what you might say isnt going to be an end all be all thing, its strictly forward opinions.) do you think about this gun as compared to the newer battle rifles coming out like the SCARs, ACRs, and etc?

Just a heads up, I am not necessarily looking to turn this into a dumb VS thread and going "o so which one is better". I am just looking around for info on these newer rifles because the only assault riffles I have ever owned are AKs and ARs for the most part. Thats why I am asking for opinions and not necessarily a "right answer".

Discus!

i came across an article on this rifle a while back..ill look for it. i believe it was also talking about the government contract for them

Really? They really havent even released how the modules fit together (for patent reasons) so it would be a surprised that the government would be even looking at them yet, when they already have some of the new rifles like the SCAR trying to make their way in along with others.

I guess no updates? Sorry I havent actually been googleing the past few days due to the holidays.

Well incase anyone was wondering I have done some more research and I found out that the first ones to come out will probably be direct gas, but they do have piston ones too. Im not sure on the release date still, same with the prices. Although mine and most peoples guesses is probably going to be in the ball park of 1500-2500. Personally from what I have seen so far I wouldnt want to pay more than 1800, depending on which upper I get.