• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New Colt Competition Pro 3-Gun rifle

Macdaddy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
Clarke County, VA
I don't own an AR platform but lots of longrange bolt rifles and various other hunting rifles too.
I am looking to purchase an AR now . I would use it for some hunting (varmints mostly) and some longer range target shooting (800 yards).
I would prefer to buy it complete and not have to piece it together. Would like at least an 18-20 barrel. Not looking for a carbine
I have been looking at .260 platforms (hard to find), 6.5 Grendel and .223.
I noted the subject Colt rifle and it seems to be quite nice as an out of the box package. Does anyone have any experience with this rifle and if positive, a recommended source for purchase? Suggestions on the others welcome too.

Again,
Thanks,

Re: New Colt Competition Pro 3-Gun rifle

Don't know much about the Colt model you speak of but you can NEVER go wrong with Noveske
smile.gif

Thanks. I'll take a look at the Noveske rifles. Over the course of time, I have noted lots of good things mentioned.

We can get the Colt Competition Rifles, but we'e never had anyone ask about one.

Another brand to look into is JP rifles. You can get any of the calibers mentioned in any number of configurations. The .260 would be in an AR-10 based platform (aka .308 size) while the other two would be on the smaller AR-15 platform.

Shoot me a PM if you want some more info on either.

-Sean

If you're looking for a 3 gun rifle, the JP is the way to go, hands down the best 3 gun or tactical rifle.

+1 for JP Enterprises. They have both large and small platforms including 260. Their 223's are very popular amongst 3-gun shooters. I've has several over the past 15 years and they've all been 1/2moa or less rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WILongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're looking for a 3 gun rifle, the JP is the way to go, hands down the best 3 gun or tactical rifle. </div></div>

Best 3 gun rifle? Absolutely. Best tactical rifle? Not even close

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WILongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're looking for a 3 gun rifle, the JP is the way to go, hands down the best 3 gun or tactical rifle. </div></div>

Best 3 gun rifle? Absolutely. Best tactical rifle? Not even close </div></div>

So for a tactical match you say a JP isn't even close? What is your reasoning?

Tactical match is one thing, a true tactical working gun, the JP isn't there. As a gamer gun the JP is great. As a working gun (which is what I took from your "tactical" statement) the JP isn't.

Getting back to the original scenario, I am not specifically looking for a 3 Gun rifle. I just happen to notice that the "Colt Competition Pro 3 Gun" rifle seemed to scratch my itch for a rifle that was both accurate, seemed to be suitable for reasonably long distance shooting and wasn't too big to lug around while hunting. Kind of a compromise of several things I am looking for.

The previous suggestions however all seem to move me in the right direction. I am still interested to know if anyone has handled or shot the new Colt as I have not been able to put my hands on one.

Thanks to all.

I have one at the store where I work. From my very limited hands on time, it seems ok. I will stop tuesday when I go back to work and play with it a bit and let you know what I think.

Are you wanting the 260 or a 6.5G or 223. This will dictate responses vastly. Only production gun in 260 I am aware of is from DPMS. It will let you shoot further than you want. A 223 at 800 is pushing the limits of the round itself unless you are shooting 77 or heavier grain bullets

I am on the bubble with caliber. I love the .260s (I have one in bolt action) but as you mentioned, hard to find. I thought Armalite made one but I only see the listing but no one actually has one as far as I can tell. Maybe it was a short run.

I was thinking the Colt simply because the ammo is plentiful and it comes with a 1 MOA or better guarantee in a pretty neat little package.

I do like the Grendel too but the down side is not much in the way of ammo yet although I understand it's no longer proprietary so it should open up some.

I can be swayed.

Thanks,

I have had no recent problems with Grendel ammo---you would be well served with that format in a 20" rifle---much easier to carry and hump over the hills than an AR10

Ever consider 6.5 Creedmoor? I think it would do everything you're looking for.

Deadly,

Did you ever get a chance to play with the one in your shop? Just curious as to your assessment with the cursory review. thanks