• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New components on my AR

mwilkins

Minuteman
Jun 1, 2010
Sachse, TX.
Got my feet wet with AR's awhile back. Started with a flat top and mounted an Eotech. Did the quad rail with LED light and green laser. That was fun for a few. Then started shooting down range a little further. Well that did it. Here I am today.

Jumped in and purchased my first match grade barrel along with a few other items. The upper has a 20" 1-8 twist SS barrel with compensator. Adjustable gas block, free float hand guard and low mass BCG. The lower is fitted with a Timney drop in at 3 lbs. Ergo grip, Magpul PRS stock with an Accu Shot mono pod and low mass buffer assembly. Scope is a Nikon 4x16x50 mounted on a JP one piece 30mm mount. I will be adding a Harris to it this coming weekend. Just started the break-in on the barrel this weekend. I am very please with the groupings thus far. I can only imagine what road this will take me down in the near future.

Photo0227-1.jpg

My best group from todays session.

Photo0226.jpg

Re: New components on my AR

Might want to delete that 3-shot group or you will get "the speech" about 3-shot groups.

anyhow, nice rifle

Thanks Longrange...... I was originally shooting 5 shot groups until I got lectured at the range. That is when I started in with 3 shot groups. So if I get "the speech" on here, so be it. I have thick skin.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwilkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..... I was originally shooting 5 shot groups until I got lectured at the range. That is when I started in with 3 shot groups.</div></div>

What was the 5 shot lecture?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwilkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Longrange...... I was originally shooting 5 shot groups until I got lectured at the range. That is when I started in with 3 shot groups.</div></div>

What jackhole gave you a "lecture" about 3-round groups somehow being a better test of your rifle's (or your) abilities??? They'd be wrong whoever they are...but I'll let somebody else give the lecture!!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ando</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwilkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..... I was originally shooting 5 shot groups until I got lectured at the range. That is when I started in with 3 shot groups.</div></div>

What was the 5 shot lecture? </div></div>

The five shot lecture, is that 3 shot groups are statistically insignificant to prove anything about the rifle, load, or shooter. At least 5 shots, preferably 10, would give you a better idea of the accuracy potential of a given load or rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ando</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwilkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..... I was originally shooting 5 shot groups until I got lectured at the range. That is when I started in with 3 shot groups.</div></div>

What was the 5 shot lecture? </div></div>

Not trying to stir up any controversy here guys. I am new to precision shooting so I took the word of someone at the range before putting any thought into it. As a result, I started shooting three shot groups.

Just so that all understand, my posting of the three shot group was the best grouping of my session at the range. It made me feel good about the purchase of the equipment that I bought so I shared.

So now I know for future reference. I better be careful about postings on the forum. I am sure many have been here before as we all have to start somewhere.

No need to be careful...just start shooting a min. of 5-round groups!!
wink.gif

Seriously, there is a group shot policy for the forum that is a sticky. It is a worthwhile read and will give you some background on the reasons for encouraging (and insisting as far as the posting of targets on the forum goes) the shooting of more meaningful groups.

We all started at some point in time and we all had to learn.

As for your target...it looks like you have a promising rifle that is starting out well. Keep up the good work and let us know how it shoots once you get the barrel broken in.

nice! ever think about shooting 3 Gun with it?

Thanks for the heads up ORD. I found the sticky with the guide lines for posting group shots. Moving forward, I will make sure to adhere to them.

Merc- This is my first go round with a quality barrel. Although the competitions do sound appealing, my skill level is probably no where near what would be needed to compete with. Although I wouldn't mind attending an event to see how it works.

dont let your skill level put you off from going and trying it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwilkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Longrange...... I was originally shooting 5 shot groups until I got lectured at the range. That is when I started in with 3 shot groups. So if I get "the speech" on here, so be it. I have thick skin..... Maybe make a change to groupings of six. Wouldn't that throw some people off. </div></div>

Had somebody given me that lecture at a range they'd likely wish they hadn't. Since complying with the 5-shot group policy I've found my groups to be...well...the same size with the same level of consistency. Only now it costs me an extra $2.22 per target to achieve the same result. So damn the torpedoes...I'm going back to 3 shot groups when dialing in optics/rifles. I just won't post the results. I can shoot plenty of 5-shot targets to post when I need to make a point about something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayjayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i shoot one round.....groups? I'm just that good </div></div>
The one shot group is the most important of all
cool.gif

...sometimes I practice by shooting other peoples bullets out of the sky.
grin.gif

Nice shooting and nice rifle. I see you are located in Sachse, do you shoot on your own land or do you go somewhere?

I have several locations that I shoot at. Couple of them are on private property. Unfortunately, none of them are mine. The pic from above was from the Garland range on Pleasant Valley. It is close enough to my house (Only about a three minute drive)that I can tell when cease fires are called. It is really convenient to go shoot there if I don't have a lot of time.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwilkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although the competitions do sound appealing, my skill level is probably no where near what would be needed to compete with. Although I wouldn't mind attending an event to see how it works. </div></div>

Don't let lack of practice (=skill level) keep you from trying new things! In the last couple of years I have started shooting IDPA (action pistol), smallbore silhouette (~2-3 MOA animal-shaped steel targets with a .22, standing, from 40-100 yards), and am about to start shooting high power service rifle. I'm not especially good at any of it, but it sure is fun! Work on improving your skills and having a good time. The guys who shoot perfect or almost-perfect scores didn't start out that way, they've been shooting those competitions for five, or ten, or twenty years (or more!). The only way to get good is to do it.

Without exception, every shooting competition of ANY kind that I have been to has been very welcoming of new folks and the experienced shooters have been very helpful with new guys. Heck, at the first smallbore silhouette match I went to, one of the guys wanted to get me and my friend to come to an air rifle silhouette match the next week and offered to bring two extra $1000 air rifles for us to shoot.