• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New CZ 600

CarbonMTN

224 Overbore
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
NV
CZ 600

I know that the CZ are showing up on Lipseys website but that doesn't mean that they are available. Any ideas on when these might be stateside?

And the only CZ I have is the 457 trainer and its awesome but how do you think the 600 will fair against Tikka and other factory brands?

I like the Trail and the Alpha but its looks like the Ergo might not come to the states and that's the one I am leaning towards the most.

Have a 600 Range on order in 6mm . Supposedly they are to be available 1st of the year i called also asked about replacement barrels and cost. No anser on that said to call back . Hopefully i dont kick myself in the ass .

First I've seen these.

I did not understand what the advantage is of having a polymer bolt handle.

It is indeed of their selling points.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211210-002553_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20211210-002553_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 183
Do not see anything on polymer bolt handle what model? I like the idea of easy switch barrel and bolt head. Only downside is you have to use CZ barrels. Anyway never been disappointed with a CZ.

All I know is the LOP on the the Lux is 14.6”??? What the heck? A rifle for gorillas? Gorillas that only hunt in t-shirts and not puffy winter jackets?

The switch barrel concept is more attractive to Europeans/Brits, as in Britain one can one have X number of rifles but apparently many barrels.

As an American, have no interest, really. Ugly things. CZ was, to me, the affordable Win70 in the small calibers I wanted (17 Hornet, 22 Hornet, etc).

For kicks go look at prices for a pre-64 Win70 in 22 Hornet. Jesus.

only in a plastic model not wood I do wish them well with it but wonder why companies choose plastic and not a really nice grade of wood ?

only in a plastic model not wood I do wish them well with it but wonder why companies choose plastic and not a really nice grade of wood ?
The lux has nice wood. But I like my guns with plastic, I don’t have to baby the chassis and worry about dings and chips to ruin the wood.

First I've seen these.

I did not understand what the advantage is of having a polymer bolt handle.

It is indeed of their selling points.

Any ideas?
It is just the bolt knob. Its lightweight, won't rust, and warm to the touch. I'm sure you'll be able to get a steel knob if you like big cold heavy knobs covered in rust!;)

Purchase orders were cut about a month or five weeks ago. No product deliveries just yet

@Cr1775 did you get your CZ 600 in 6mm? Any good? I was looking at it too and would be interested in first hand accounts.

No still waiting. But i do have brass and loading dies on hand for it when it arrives!

Reactions: Muriner
Gun broker supposibly has some for sale. I dont know how many of them are just pre orders.

My lgs said his distributor has me down for the first one that they get in so hopefully his distributor won't be the last to get them in. But anyway i have 2 other projects that I'm working on now!

Reactions: Muriner
Hopefully the internet can forego the Sig 320 test where they throw the gun down and see if it goes off?

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased
What they are doing is damaging further the viability of smaller varmint cartridges like 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet, .204, etc. Without good guns to shoot the small stuff, people will just use .223. And as if the sky-high prices for ammo isn’t enough…I’ll bet Hornady is a little worried shooters will just abandon their new-ish small caliibers.

Some of CZ’s wonderful little 527 models that they discontinued were the only nicely made (plus decently priced) and accurate guns of certain calibers readily available in the USA.

I mean, Tikka never made a Hornet (that I know of), and they just killed off their .204 worldwide. Ruger has a poor accuracy reputation for those calibers and Savage is junk (again, in those calibers, don’t know about others). Howa did make a .204, not sure if they still do. Damn Remington is so cautious that they too don’t make a .204 anymore!

With used CZ 17 Hornets going for $1500-$2500 on auction (up from $750-ish new), you think CZ might be smacking their foreheads and going, “D’oh!”

I can’t imagine CZ not coming back out with a 600 series chambered in those little fellas, but the one-two punch of “only affordable available guns are crap” plus $2.50+/round isn’t doing anyone any favors.

I guess we’ll all just shoot 22LR, .223, Manbun, and .308 and that’s it. Yawn.

I really don’t want to reload…

Reactions: psdan000
What they are doing is damaging further the viability of smaller varmint cartridges like 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet, .204, etc. Without good guns to shoot the small stuff, people will just use .223. And as if the sky-high prices for ammo isn’t enough…I’ll bet Hornady is a little worried shooters will just abandon their new-ish small caliibers.

Some of CZ’s wonderful little 527 models that they discontinued were the only nicely made (plus decently priced) and accurate guns of certain calibers readily available in the USA.

I mean, Tikka never made a Hornet (that I know of), and they just killed off their .204 worldwide. Ruger has a poor accuracy reputation for those calibers and Savage is junk (again, in those calibers, don’t know about others). Howa did make a .204, not sure if they still do. Damn Remington is so cautious that they too don’t make a .204 anymore!

With used CZ 17 Hornets going for $1500-$2500 on auction (up from $750-ish new), you think CZ might be smacking their foreheads and going, “D’oh!”

I can’t imagine CZ not coming back out with a 600 series chambered in those little fellas, but the one-two punch of “only affordable available guns are crap” plus $2.50+/round isn’t doing anyone any favors.

I guess we’ll all just shoot 22LR, .223, Manbun, and .308 and that’s it. Yawn.

I really don’t want to reload…
So glad I bought a 527 in .17 Hornet when CZ was making them, I only wish I would have bought the .204 at the same time. The 527 is a fantastic rifle, hopefully down the road CZ will offer more chamberings for the 600 series.

So glad I bought a 527 in .17 Hornet when CZ was making them, I only wish I would have bought the .204 at the same time. The 527 is a fantastic rifle, hopefully down the road CZ will offer more chamberings for the 600 series.
I, too, am thanking my lucky stars. I have all three of the ones I mentioned. I am only bummed for if my son is really into one of those calibers, when he leaves the house it might get expensive for me!

• Haha
I, too, am thanking my lucky stars. I have all three of the ones I mentioned. I am only bummed for if my son is really into one of those calibers, when he leaves the house it might get expensive for me!
yep, save your brass for sure. I don't find myself having time to reload much anymore. But when the time comes I shoot all my .17 hornet up, I will have enough brass to last the life of the barrel anyway. I have close to 1k rounds and figure I could get at least 3-4 loadings out of them (hopefully). I worry the same about my Rem 700 .17 fireball, its one of my favorite rifles and loves the factory loaded Remington ammo, but it's become non-existent and the last time I bought a few boxes it was $2/round. I will definitely reload for that when the time comes! But unfortunately that never leaves the back of your mind. It was a huge reason why I didnt take either of my .17 centerfires on a prairie dog hunt last June, which is a shame because that's the whole reason I buy these rifles. I ended up taking a .204 which I have a bunch of ammo and brass for and .22-250, which is still easy enough to find ammo for (at a premium of course!)...It's almost like the gun and ammo manufacturer's have forgotten about the varmint hunters.

yep, save your brass for sure. I don't find myself having time to reload much anymore. But when the time comes I shoot all my .17 hornet up, I will have enough brass to last the life of the barrel anyway. I have close to 1k rounds and figure I could get at least 3-4 loadings out of them (hopefully). I worry the same about my Rem 700 .17 fireball, its one of my favorite rifles and loves the factory loaded Remington ammo, but it's become non-existent and the last time I bought a few boxes it was $2/round. I will definitely reload for that when the time comes! But unfortunately that never leaves the back of your mind. It was a huge reason why I didnt take either of my .17 centerfires on a prairie dog hunt last June, which is a shame because that's the whole reason I buy these rifles. I ended up taking a .204 which I have a bunch of ammo and brass for and .22-250, which is still easy enough to find ammo for (at a premium of course!)...It's almost like the gun and ammo manufacturer's have forgotten about the varmint hunters.
Right on man! So I finally ran across another varmint hunter on this steel shootin’ paper punchin’ load testin’ chrono readin’ ballistics solvin’ PRS bitchin’ forum, ha!

I lucked out and had tons of 17 Hornet and .204 ammo bought before the last craziness. I am reluctantly saving my brass now, starting with a .223 rifle that is giving me fits. If nothing else, I can sell the brass vs giving it to the range for free.

I found my perfect combo for PD shooting…all with silencers…22LR in a Kidd 10/22, CZ 17 Hornet, and Rem 204. And damnit, I’m gonna shoot the stuff! Haha!

I think a large portion of the problem we’re seeing with regard to finding loaded ammo for the smaller calibers is just a result of the current circumstances. Ammo’s harder to find anywhere and in every caliber, so naturally the factories are going to focus more on the “usual” calibers that are in high demand.

Many of the smaller varmint rounds were pretty popular in their respective circles, and I don’t see them going away entirely. But until things recover, they’re definitely going to be more expensive and harder to find.

As for the CZ? I foolishly sold several CZ rifles back in flight school to help out there. I don’t necessarily regret it, but all those gorgeous rifles have tripled in price now! I had several 550FS and 527FS models in various calibers that I got for great prices, and now replacing them is going to be a daunting task when the opportunity arises. The FS models in particular are going to set me back a pretty penny as there doesn’t appear to be any chance they’ll make the 600 in a mannlicher stock. 😞 I’ll keep my eye on the 600 for a smaller sporting rifle if they prove themselves worthwhile, but I’m not seeing a ton on them lately. Time will tell!

I think a large portion of the problem we’re seeing with regard to finding loaded ammo for the smaller calibers is just a result of the current circumstances. Ammo’s harder to find anywhere and in every caliber, so naturally the factories are going to focus more on the “usual” calibers that are in high demand.

Many of the smaller varmint rounds were pretty popular in their respective circles, and I don’t see them going away entirely. But until things recover, they’re definitely going to be more expensive and harder to find.

As for the CZ? I foolishly sold several CZ rifles back in flight school to help out there. I don’t necessarily regret it, but all those gorgeous rifles have tripled in price now! I had several 550FS and 527FS models in various calibers that I got for great prices, and now replacing them is going to be a daunting task when the opportunity arises. The FS models in particular are going to set me back a pretty penny as there doesn’t appear to be any chance they’ll make the 600 in a mannlicher stock. 😞 I’ll keep my eye on the 600 for a smaller sporting rifle if they prove themselves worthwhile, but I’m not seeing a ton on them lately. Time will tell!
The funny thing is often one rarely realizes that they are in the golden age of…something…and naively thinks the current situation (whatever it is) will last forever!

I distinctly remember a feeling as a little kid, during an epic game of “guns” in high summer grass with friends, playing deep into dusk (with plastic/wood fake guns for the young ones who may have never done this). It suddenly struck me that, hey, this isn’t gonna last, this is too fun, too amazing, and I felt on the cusp of something.

Then mom called us in. Friends moved, we moved, and remember that cusp of something? That something was called “growing up.”

Still miss that magical feeling at summertime dusk, out in a field, with buddies, inventing games, when it felt like everything and anything was possible.

Yep. “You don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone,” as the saying goes.

Flying helis has been a lifelong dream of mine, so I know I did the right thing by being true to that. But dang, those rifles were nice! Someday I’ll replace them for sure.

Looks like CZ announced today that all the CZ 600 rifles will have to have the barrel permanently installed. One of the biggest selling points of the rifle was the end user being able to swap barrels easily. Not sure what I want to do with mine yet, send it back for a refund or be married to the .224 valkyrie...Disappointed either way!

Ouch.

These things are going to have to be a home run everywhere else.

Looks like CZ announced today that all the CZ 600 rifles will have to have the barrel permanently installed. One of the biggest selling points of the rifle was the end user being able to swap barrels easily. Not sure what I want to do with mine yet, send it back for a refund or be married to the .224 valkyrie...Disappointed either way!
Thanks for the news, I'm gonna cancel my order. Only half way disappointed. Gonna build a rifle now since i got brass bullets and dies and no 6mm now. Can anyone recommend a action that would work good for 6mm creedmoor ? This would be my first complete build .

Why did they do this?

Swappable barrels was a key selling point for me.

Why did they do this?

This is a guess and just a guess, but I bet they found out that their barrel to receiver interface was either unsafe or unsatisfactory from an accuracy/repeatability aspect and decided that the most efficient (for them) fix was to get rid of it and go back to a normal, torqued down threaded barrel.

This is a guess and just a guess, but I bet they found out that their barrel to receiver interface was either unsafe or unsatisfactory from an accuracy/repeatability aspect and decided that the most efficient (for them) fix was to get rid of it and go back to a normal, torqued down threaded barrel.

I don't see how they would go to a normal torqued down threaded barrel without radically changing the rifle. The bolt lugs lock into recesses that are either part of an extension or machined into the barrel, and the whole assembly is just clamped into the (aluminum in some models) receiver.

You can see the barrel assembly about 4 minutes in.

My take on "permanently installed" would be that they are using the same basic system, but either gluing, or in some mechanical way, locking the barrel in so that it cannot be removed. That's why this move looks like such a running face-plant to me, they went all the way from "swap it yourself" to "can't be swapped by anyone".

Reactions: ohiofarmer
I don't see how they would go to a normal torqued down threaded barrel without radically changing the rifle. The bolt lugs lock into recesses that are either part of an extension or machined into the barrel, and the whole assembly is just clamped into the (aluminum in some models) receiver.

My take on "permanently installed" would be that they are using the same basic system, but either gluing, or in some mechanical way, locking the barrel in so that it cannot be removed. That's why this move looks like such a running face-plant to me, they went all the way from "swap it yourself" to "can't be swapped by anyone".

This really sucks.

Hell even TC figured out how to do a switch barrel centerfire. Too bad it had that god awful stock and it never took odd.

I see.

The easiest way to make that an inseparable assembly is to machine the receiver with a solid front end (no clamping bolts underneath), keep the indexing feature that engages the notch on the barrel, and make the hole where the barrel fits undersized so that barrel installation is a heat/freeze shrink fit.

I inquired to CZ about how exactly they plan to make this happen....I'll keep you guys updated on any response I get.

From the European CZ website:

"
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE REGARDING CZ 600 BOLT-ACTION RIFLES
Česká zbrojovka (“CZ”) has recently learned of a potential safety issue with the CZ 600 bolt-action rifles. CZ is voluntarily initiating a recall of these rifles in order to protect the safety of its customers because of the potential for failure if the barrel is not installed correctly.
To prevent the possibility of death or serious personal injury, you should immediately stop using your CZ 600 rifle and do not fire it until it has been returned to CZ for inspection and to have the barrel screws affixed with thread lock.
CZ 600 rifles were designed to allow the users to replace the barrels themselves to change the caliber. CZ has learned that if the barrel is improperly installed, it is possible that the rifle could still be fired, but potentially result in a failure.
Based on the CZ values of providing the best, most reliable products and never compromising our customers’ safety, we have decided to issue a safety recall on the CZ 600 rifles. CZ will correct the issue by permanently installing the barrels in CZ 600 rifles. To minimize the risk of improper assembly, barrel replacement and caliber conversions are now available only through authorized service centers. The replacement or removal of the barrel outside of the authorized service centers will void the warranty."

Red highlighting added by me, but it kind of sounds like their "fix" is red loctite on the barrel clamp screws and the threat of a void warranty if you mess with them.

https://cz-usa.com/cz-600-series/

Really makes me wonder what exactly the unsafe condition is? Is it just that you could slip a case under the extractor with the wrong barrel (or no barrel and just a finger) to hold the case kind of in place and get an ignition? That wouldn't really be different from any other action. Maybe there was some issue with the different bolts kind of but not fully seating in the wrong barrel and still allowing ignition? Seems odd.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is pretty close to worst-case scenario from a brand reputation standpoint.

Wondering if anyone has sent their CZ 600 in yet and got it back? Curious exactly what they are doing. I printed the return label but still have not sent mine in yet.

I actually handled a CZ 600 LUX in 300 win mag today in a local store. I am a big fan of CZ rifles and own a few but frankly I was a bit disappointed. LOP was weird. I am an average statute guy, but it was way off for me. Action was gritty even by CZ standards. Sights felt a bit weird, but I suppose I could get used to them. In general ergonomics were meh. Super long bolt didn't help either. I hope it was a LUX thing, as I'd go for the other stocks anyway. Pretty rifle as usual but the wood felt a bit cheaper than the 'old' CZ's.

• Sad
I actually handled a CZ 600 LUX in 300 win mag today in a local store. I am a big fan of CZ rifles and own a few but frankly I was a bit disappointed. LOP was weird. I am an average statute guy, but it was way off for me. Action was gritty even by CZ standards. Sights felt a bit weird, but I suppose I could get used to them. In general ergonomics were meh. Super long bolt didn't help either. I hope it was a LUX thing, as I'd go for the other stocks anyway. Pretty rifle as usual but the wood felt a bit cheaper than the 'old' CZ's.
They list the LOPs as something like 14.6”. Insane!

Been cleaning up my 527’s and man, I cannot believe they discontinued them. They are sort of like the small caliber man’s Model 70 (with a bit crummier bolt feel). They are like little jewels compared to the big Rem 700 actions I have.

It’s almost like the project manager for the 600 series was 7ft tall with gorilla arms plus he overruled his engineers about the barrel QR system…🤔

Reactions: Basher
Remember when Winchester discontinued the pre-64 CRF action, and people whined and moaned and bitched about it for so long that they realized just how STUPID they’d been and they brought it back into production?

I hope that’s CZ in a decade with the 550 and 527…

Late post. I bought a cz 600 lux in 223. It had right twist for lighter varmint bullets. I shoot pdogs with it, wanted a shorter range (200 yards) rifle to augment my longer range 204 ruger.
the recall for barrel being fixed was disappointing, as i had plans for 221 fireball.
i found rifle to be accurate with factory 55 gr varmint loads (sub moa). The trigger is a delight.
i use spartan mag bipods, tripod adapters, and fitting one to front swivel on lux proved problemati. I finally had to replace the screw with a larger wood screw, and used jb weld to bond it with stock. I did use car wax on screw, so i am able to remove it later.
in the field, i used spartan bipods which are easy on, easy off which fits the lux configuration. I also used a light tripod with spartan adapter. the tripod will hold rifle but puts considerable strain on sling swivel/ spartan adapter as its the only support point. rifle will hang off that one point if you don’t support it. I am retrofitting a support arm on tripod to support the rifle under the rear stock.
i easily culled pdogs out to 200 yards. Nice addition to my stand armament, as i can pick up lux and roam about. Nice lite comfortable rifle to carry. Ill probably fit a sling.
would i buy it again, wo having user changeable barrel feature. Yes. All other features are very nice, i like the shorter bolt throw, easily adjust trigger, mag options. The safety is pretty intuitive and effective. Accuracy was as promised. As a hunting rifle it fits the bill well

CZ seems to make very good guns all the way around esp. for the price point. I can't say as I've ever bought one I've been disappointed in, they punch well above their price tag.

I don't think the lack of a switch barrel function (officially) is that big of a deal. To me for hunting, a switch barrel really needs to be a medium/long action that offers a versatile caliber change.

With the 600 before the recall you'd basically get (depending on receiver size) if I've understood it right, almost no site lists which calibers are for which of the 3 action sizes.
223, 224, 762x39
6mm, 308, 6.5 cm
6.5 PRC, 30-06, 300

Now if you could go from 223/224 to 6.5cm to 300wm or even just 308/6.5cm to 300WM now you'd have something actually versatile for hunting. The way the options were to gain any real versatility you have to buy 2-3 rifles anyway. The problem with doing a long action is by the time you do that, the expense and weight penalty usually push people into 2 separate guns anyway. I suppose you could run the 6.5PRC for deer and 300 for elk. Either way with the recall it doesn't matter now, CZ won't be selling caliber change kits I'd bet, and while you could I'm sure convince various smiths to create a barrel and maybe convince CZ to sell you a new bolt, if you are that motivated for a switch barrel hunting rifle there are probably higher quality custom options.

If they had made a short action Trail with a stock and went after the Sig Cross market, they'd have hit a home run, but not with the 2MOA guarantee the Trail has, and no option but a 223/7.62x39. I'd also say the 15x1 threaded barrel was a miss, even Sako figured out to offer a 5/8x24 on the s20. It's also too bad the 2 stage adjustable trigger is only offered in the Trail.

Seems like a pretty sad day that these are now the only centerfire rifles that CZ makes.

Reactions: Basher
Seems like a pretty sad day that these are now the only centerfire rifles that CZ makes.

Yep.

-CZ’s pistols: excellent all around.
-CZ’s rimfires: excellent all around (though I still want to see the return of the full-stock…)
-CZ’s centerfire rifles: pretty sad compared to where they once were, IMO.

C’est la vie.

Reactions: poznan85
I like the fact that they have 3 action lengths. for switch barrels in the lux, I considered russian ak round (for hog hunting) and the 221 fireball (have to be custom barrel). in retro spect, id probably never change the 223 barrel. I have cz457 in 22 mag, ruger 10-22, ruger 77-22 in 22 mag, an AI AX (sold) and an AI ATX. The AI,s were the only ones i switched barrels, mainly due to short barrel life of competition catridges.
i see a lot of lament over loss of cz traditional centerfires, partly in 22 and 17 hornet. I had expected barrels to be offered in different calibers in CZ 600 platform. W/o the switch barrel feature, only cz can offer that. Remains to be seen if we see those.