• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New DPMS.. but which one?

Aubie

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2010
Millington, TN
I've been shopping around for a DPMS 308 rifle and am sort of overwhelmed with all the choices. I would like to use this rifle as a bench/ground shooter to learn to shoot long distances. It doesn't need to look pretty but I won't be upset if it does.
laugh.gif

I started off looking at just the 24" barrels for maximum range. I came across the SASS and love everything about it except the fact that it's only 18". How much range am I giving up with those 6"?

Certain DPMS guns are chambered for 7.62x51 NATO and others for .308. At first I assumed that a gun chambered in 7.62 would shoot any .308 (like a gun chambered for 5.56 will shoot any .223) but read that this is not the case. Am I understanding that any rifle chambered in .308 will fire 7.62 and not the other way around like I originally thought?

My other concerns with the rifle are things like fluting, barrel threading, and trigger assembly. I could live without the fluting but I would sure like some sort of suppressor at the end of the barrel. I can't find any for sale that have pre-threaded barrels from the factory. I guess a bigger concern is the trigger assembly. Most people don't like the factory trigger assembly. How difficult is it to buy a new trigger (say JP 2 stage or one of the more expensive ones) and put it in myself. Is it something that will require any sort of gunsmithing?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: New DPMS.. but which one?

I wouldn't own a 308 semi auto over 20", my POF that I'm waiting on is 16" so don't worry about the max range. That SASS would likely reach 1,000 yards with the right ammo.

If you want a DPMS then go SASS if it floats your boat. What's your budget, just curious, there may be something better for the money.

J

I'd like to keep it under $3k for rifle and scope.. Thinking of getting a leupold 4.5-15X for around 1200.

Looking around it appears that you could get a used SASS in the $1500-$1600 range. Seems like a good place to start.

That would leave you some money to get a slightly better scope, look into a used Nightforce 3-15x50, it'll make you much happier in the long run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been shopping around for a DPMS 308 rifle and am sort of overwhelmed with all the choices. I would like to use this rifle as a bench/ground shooter to learn to shoot long distances. It doesn't need to look pretty but I won't be upset if it does.
laugh.gif

I started off looking at just the 24" barrels for maximum range. I came across the SASS and love everything about it except the fact that it's only 18". How much range am I giving up with those 6"?

Certain DPMS guns are chambered for 7.62x51 NATO and others for .308. At first I assumed that a gun chambered in 7.62 would shoot any .308 (like a gun chambered for 5.56 will shoot any .223) but read that this is not the case. Am I understanding that any rifle chambered in .308 will fire 7.62 and not the other way around like I originally thought?

My other concerns with the rifle are things like fluting, barrel threading, and trigger assembly. I could live without the fluting but I would sure like some sort of suppressor at the end of the barrel. I can't find any for sale that have pre-threaded barrels from the factory. I guess a bigger concern is the trigger assembly. Most people don't like the factory trigger assembly. How difficult is it to buy a new trigger (say JP 2 stage or one of the more expensive ones) and put it in myself. Is it something that will require any sort of gunsmithing?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

</div></div>

Bump for a good dude. Looks like we both just joined this site. You must be tracking me. I felt someone on my six.....lol

I have the 24" SS match upper in 260, it's a heavy rifle. The 18" 308 will go 1000yd as Lowlight has shown several times and the SASS platform is a great rifle. My LR-260 is a 5/8-3/4 MOA rifle at 300yd with hand loads and I've made a number of first round hits from 200-1000yd with it on steel.

Get some of the Magpul Pmags for it and you'll save yourself some money on the factory mags, plus they're practically indestructible.

Browntrout and Aubie, depending where you are, you're welcome to come out to the range with me and test drive the 24" before you sink the money into either one. I see that BT's in PA, I'm in West Chester and my 600yd club is in Gap, PA. Send me a PM if you're up for a trip and want to try out the rifle.

The 24" barrel can be cut back by a gunsmith for you, again, depending on where you are I might be able to help with that.

Jason also brings up a good point, if you can spend 3k on the package, look into getting a NF NXS 3.5-15x50 in the MLR/mil or NP-R1/moa package. The scopes are superior to the Leupy you're looking at and with some judicious searching you can pick up a used NF in excellent condition on here for between 1300-1400.

My LR-260 has a 3.5-15x50 NP-R1 and RRA NM 2 stage in it.

Bohem, thanks bud for the offer and maybe someday I'll be able to oblige. Aubie is close to, but unfortunately, I live across the state from you; just outside of Bradford, Pa. McKean county. Thanks again.

I'd love to run the .260 your referring to.

Jer: Considering your PM now.

Trout: Just joined yesterday. I've been shooting my 5.56 rifles for about a year now and I'm ready to move to something a little bigger!
laugh.gif

Jason: I am definitely going to research that Nightforce. I know Nightforce makes a good scope I just hesitate to spend so much. I think if I could only look through the two side by side I'd be convinced.

Bohem: I really appreciate the offer. Unfortunately I'm stationed at the Sub base in Washington State, who by the way just started enforcing sales tax for internet gun orders. I am moving to Tennessee soon so I'll hold off on my 308 purchase for a few weeks while I continue to learn about the 308 rifle.

Thanks for the advice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jer: Considering your PM now.

Trout: Just joined yesterday. I've been shooting my 5.56 rifles for about a year now and I'm ready to move to something a little bigger!
laugh.gif

Jason: I am definitely going to research that Nightforce. I know Nightforce makes a good scope I just hesitate to spend so much. I think if I could only look through the two side by side I'd be convinced.

Bohem: I really appreciate the offer. Unfortunately I'm stationed at the Sub base in Washington State, who by the way just started enforcing sales tax for internet gun orders. I am moving to Tennessee soon so I'll hold off on my 308 purchase for a few weeks while I continue to learn about the 308 rifle.

Thanks for the advice! </div></div>

Different Aubie, sorry bud, I thought you were someone else.

Oh well, it was a shot. Aubie, you'll be happy with either one I think. Welcome aboard.

BT: If you get the itch to drive a little and see an awesome place to shoot go visit Thunder Valley Precision in Coshocton, OH. It's well worth the 4hr drive for you IMO. I drive out from the Philadelphia area to the tune of 6.5hrs each way and regret none of it.

You might try these guys: http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/dpmslr308.htm They will add a Compensator for $175 (I dont think you need it). I just added scope(Wotac),rings and a Harris Bipod and I'm a happy camper. Only have a few rounds through it but it's exceeded my expectations.

BTW, I got the LR308(24"),scope (Wotac 4-14X50), Burris XTR tactical 30mm rings and labor for a gunsmith mounting and boresighting the scope for less than $1500.