• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new dpms lr 308

sgtusmc_nc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2009
north carolina
Just got my dpms lr 308 24in barrel, cant wait to break her in and get going. looking for any ideas on scope. rings etc... anyone currently running one show some pics or post opinions. in advance thanks for any info.

Re: new dpms lr 308

I use a vx3 8.5-25x50 on mine, I usd the burris xtr rings. Best 2 mods I made were a giesselle trigger and magpul prs stock.

Badger 22 moa rail, scrap the metal magazines if they give you any greef (DPMS will exchange them for Magpul composites)

down the line get an adjustable gas block.

IMG_1761.jpg

JP Handguard
JP Trigger
JP Benny Cooley muzzle brake
JP adjustable gas block
Magpul PRS with extended buttpad
Accu Shot BT13-QK monopod
Phase 5 EBRv2
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP
Burris Xtreme Tac 30mm medium rings

Recently found out that I can only dial out to 800yds so I am eagerly waiting for the new GAP 20MOA mount to become available with 30mm inserts.

Copied/pasted from 308ar and shortened a bit...:)

geissele two stage trigger
accurizing wedge
hogue grip
prs stock
$70 Centerpoint scope
Federal gold 168gr (upside down box..lol!)

I decided the break-in was hog wash after countless hours of searching on the net, the main thing was to not kill the crown and rifling by improperly cleaning..at least in my book.

I made my own patchworm. .281" hole seems to fit nicely with the thickness patches that I am using. Took me 45mins to get all the copper out from DPMS test firing.

First shot was (i guessed through scope) 15in low, 7 in left. I took a peek at the barrel, no copper...so I made adjustments then fired off the second round, 3in right, 1in high as you can see. Again, no copper so I continued without cleaning.
Again I made adjustments and decided to fire off three rounds to get a group at 100yds. I'm pretty happy with that, looking forward to this thing breaking in some more :)

I let my brother, his fiance and my dad shoot a few rounds thru it. I then shot another 3 shot group with two rounds almost in the same hole and one about an inch high and to the right....I then discovered a loose scope ring...and figured I would stop while I was ahead, plus it was 95 degrees in the shade..i'd had enough.

2011-06-18_13-09-48_430.jpg

2011-06-18_13-05-48_565.jpg

2011-06-20_06-48-37_81.jpg

I used the nightforce uni mount and love it, never an issue, I used the 20 moa mount and it shoots to 1000yrds plus. my longest is 1160 yrds with the 20 moa base.

I've got a better scope on the way, 6-18x -40mm 1 in tube, do you have a p/n and source for that base to fit my dpms? Thanks!

DPMS308-1.jpg

The USO has a large bell. I needed an A.R.M.S. riser and high rings to get it done. It was hard to clear the barrel.
I wish I had "beefier" rings but after 5 years and 350 rounds my zero is still true.

so far
tubb speedlock carrier weight
jp trigger
tubb buffer spring
burris xtreme tactical rings
for now a bushnell elite tactical scope

after barrel break in, i took the gun to or training yesterday wow was i impressed. groups were easily as accurate out to 300 yards as our 700p bolt guns. we did some positional shooting at 50 and 100 on steel moving plates and I could just wear it out never coming off target. There are 2 of us on the team with these rifles so hopefully we will be able to carry them on duty!!! now all I need is a better scope than my SS20 power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EmergencyNrse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DPMS308-1.jpg

The USO has a large bell. I needed an A.R.M.S. riser and high rings to get it done. It was hard to clear the barrel.
I wish I had "beefier" rings but after 5 years and 350 rounds my zero is still true. </div></div>

Good looking rig..how does it shoot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EmergencyNrse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DPMS308-1.jpg

I wish I had "beefier" rings but after 5 years and 350 rounds my zero is still true. </div></div>

What rail is that?

I will be getting a dpms lr 308 and a weaver 3-15x50 tatical scope. first off do i need to get a jp trigger if so is that the best brand and 2nd what are some quality.... BUT affordabl rings and mounts...lol is that all i need to mount a scope? first time geting a nice scope and rifle combo just want to make shure im do in it right. any other thoughts would help to. also can any one "school" me on the proper way to "break in" the dpms lr? i hear so much mixed emotions on it. please help thanks!

Lots of functional rings out there for not a lot of money (burris, warne, leupold). You could also get a 1pc scope mount like the Burris PEPR (70$). Might be a better idea as it'll give you a little bit more eye relief.

Barrel break-in? Go out and shoot it, that is your break-in.

when cleaning a ar10 i saw on a bolt action they have bore guides do you need one for the ar10 any one have a good link to show me the "right way"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaycar85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when cleaning a ar10 i saw on a bolt action they have bore guides do you need one for the ar10 any one have a good link to show me the "right way"
</div></div>
No... just remember to clean from chamber to muzzle and you'll be good...

Question for all you guys that have rifles in pics. Are you guys shorter? Not trying to bust balls or anything, but curious about the placement of your ocular lenses on scopes relative to the butt. I see there are a lot of magpul stocks, but I've got an A2 stock with the DPMS extender thingy (maybe 1" increase in length of pull) and my ocular lens is just about at the charging handle catch. I'm 6'3", thus the height of shooter question.

How do you guys get a good cheek weld with those setups?

Alter,

Good question... I have noticed the same thing. I would say that it has more to do with eye relief of specific scopes based on shooters comfort area. I'm 5'11" and mine are all...
2qn9imq.jpg

5v59ft.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlterEgo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question for all you guys that have rifles in pics. Are you guys shorter? Not trying to bust balls or anything, but curious about the placement of your ocular lenses on scopes relative to the butt. I see there are a lot of magpul stocks, but I've got an A2 stock with the DPMS extender thingy (maybe 1" increase in length of pull) and my ocular lens is just about at the charging handle catch. I'm 6'3", thus the height of shooter question.

How do you guys get a good cheek weld with those setups? </div></div>

My ocular is even with the charging handle and I'm 5'8". Where exactly <span style="text-decoration: underline">"should"</span> my ocular be? I'm not a fan of getting "scope bit" so I try to keep the ocular as far forward as possible. The eye box for the PST is a little touchy, but I usually don't have any issues finding it even at 24X.

My Magpul PRS has the enhanced recoil pad(1/2" thicker) and I shoot with the butt extension just a little shy of max. My cheek weld is very close to the front edge of the comb riser.

I am patiently awaiting the release of the new GAP-10 20 MOA mount with the 30mm inserts so I can have some extra room to manuver my ocular slightly forward of the charging handle (along with 20 MOA of elevation). I've already have both the rings and scope mounted as far forward as I can get them.

I suppose that things should be set up per user preference. However, I seem to get a better cheek or more consistent cheek weld chicken-necking it. Obviously that would lead to getting scope bit (for myself) in some of those setups. Tig-Ol's stuff looks more like mine...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badger 22 moa rail, scrap the metal magazines if they give you any greef (DPMS will exchange them for Magpul composites)

down the line get an adjustable gas block. </div></div>

the above quote is 100% true!!!!!

with the rings, get the Badger Ordnance standard for 30mm and 34mm. If you have a 35mm go with TPS TSR lows and you are set.

Trust me on this. Its the best way to roll.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badger 22 moa rail, scrap the metal magazines if they give you any greef (DPMS will exchange them for Magpul composites)

down the line get an adjustable gas block. </div></div>

the above quote is 100% true!!!!!

with the rings, get the Badger Ordnance standard for 30mm and 34mm. If you have a 35mm go with TPS TSR lows and you are set.

Trust me on this. Its the best way to roll.

John

</div></div>

Any reason not to use a unimount like NF or GAP/Badger?

Sir,

I have found them all to tall.

The key is this.

Marty at Badger Ordnance made the 22 MOA base with the same angles and shape as his 20 MOA bases on a Rem 700. He added the extra 2 MOA for the mechanical offset distance from a Ar-15/10 compared to the rem 700 mechanical offset.

So what it all comes down to is this.

You can take a rifle scope off a rem 700 with the right height rings for that setup, and mount it to a AR-15/10 and use the same rings and spacing.

now its so easy to get the right height for the rifle scope. 99% of issues with Ar15/10 shooting starts at the cheek weld. with this setup you slam down the scope as low as it can go, and get a proper cheek-weld and 22 MOA of added adjustment.

Can you get the proper cheek-weld with other mounting options? yes you can but can you dial to 800+ yards with that setup? I would say mostly no unless you buy a optic with a lot of travel.

so its just easier to go with the 22 MOA mount, and low rings, if you have two rifles Rem 700 with a Bad rod 20 MOA base and a AR-15/10 with the Bad Ord 22 MOA base you can swap the riflescope back and forth and only be 2 clicks off from the ZERO on both systems.

Its the way to roll. Oh, also it lets you get NTC for a solid index point for eye relief. This helps alot in positional shooting.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sir,

I have found them all to tall.

The key is this.

Marty at Badger Ordnance made the 22 MOA base with the same angles and shape as his 20 MOA bases on a Rem 700. He added the extra 2 MOA for the mechanical offset distance from a Ar-15/10 compared to the rem 700 mechanical offset.

So what it all comes down to is this.

You can take a rifle scope off a rem 700 with the right height rings for that setup, and mount it to a AR-15/10 and use the same rings and spacing.

now its so easy to get the right height for the rifle scope. 99% of issues with Ar15/10 shooting starts at the cheek weld. with this setup you slam down the scope as low as it can go, and get a proper cheek-weld and 22 MOA of added adjustment.

Can you get the proper cheek-weld with other mounting options? yes you can but can you dial to 800+ yards with that setup? I would say mostly no unless you buy a optic with a lot of travel.

so its just easier to go with the 22 MOA mount, and low rings, if you have two rifles Rem 700 with a Bad rod 20 MOA base and a AR-15/10 with the Bad Ord 22 MOA base you can swap the riflescope back and forth and only be 2 clicks off from the ZERO on both systems.

Its the way to roll. Oh, also it lets you get NTC for a solid index point for eye relief. This helps alot in positional shooting.

John </div></div>

Thanks for the quick reply Mr Boyette.

I was afraid of the height and proper cheekweld. I was looking at the NF 20 moa unimount with 1.375 ring height. But, I'll definitely take a look at the badger setup.

OBX

Oh,

All these pretty rifles need to meet the mean sister. That will smack the crap out of them at 800yds
smile.gif

DSCN0201.jpg

DSCN0210.jpg

DSCN0209.jpg

DSCN0205.jpg

DSCN0204.jpg

DSCN0202.jpg

smile.gif

John

No doubt, she looks used...
like a small condom at a Lexington Steel video shoot.

But I'm sure she shoots well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TigOlBitteez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No doubt, she looks used...
like a small condom at a Lexington Steel video shoot.

But I'm sure she shoots well. </div></div>

yes sir, all my posts on equipment and how to set these things up is not second hand, or third hand info.

I train alot of people and see alot of gear. I know what works and what does not. I do not push X brand, I push what works for anyone.

Like the A1 stock on this rifle. The A2 is too long for any shooter. I am 6'5" and its to long for me. The A1 fits me and most anyone over 5'4"

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_2289.JPG
</div></div>

I can only say two things to this post:

1. That is one fine looking weapon!
2. I like your play on the binary system in your signature,
intellectual humor is way underrated and underused.

Carry on.