• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition New F/TR Stock

30SMK

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2012
MO
I have a stock savage F/TR and after shooting all year with the factory setup I am in the market for some upgrades over the winter. I am planning on upgrading the stock first and am curious about what you guys think are some good options. I have been talking with Ray Bowman about one of his Lowboy F/TR stocks but am curious what else is out there that is comparable to a PR&T stock.

Aaron

There is nothing comparable to Ray's stock. :)

I figured I would let you guys know that I did end up going with one of Ray's F/TR Lowboy stocks. I had him bed it with a vee block and but I did all the finishing on it. First time spraying a stock but it turned out really well and I am very pleased. The quality and precision of his stock was excellent and he was a really good guy to deal with. Looking forward to the upcoming season!

Last edited:
Great job finishing the stock! You did an excellent job polishing the action as well. That looks like chrome!

I'm looking forward to seeing it on the line this year.

That is awesome.

Even better that there is a Savage in the middle of it!

It looks better in person than in the pictures. This is one of the better finishing jobs I've seen.

and does it shoot better with the new stock?

Well it has been really cold and windy here since I finished so I haven't gotten to really test it out yet. Its been killing me b/c I need to do some load development but it was a heck of a shooter before the new stock so I can only expect it to shoot as good or better. I do think the new stock will gain me a couple points in matches though and like the feel and the way it tracks much better than the stock f/tr stock. Here is a good representation about how it generally shot before the new stock.

Looks great. Now that you have it, do you feel that you should have got the adjustable cheek? Ive been considering a lowboy for my savage, but have been trying to decide about the adjustable hardware.

I only have a few ounces to play with so I wasn't looking to add more weight. I like it the way it is without hardware.

I shoot the same stock with the adjustable cheek but rarely use that feature. Glad you went with Ray's stock instead of something "similar". Why get a copy when you can support the original designer? AG

Good points. Thanks for the feedback. Im sure I would be close to weight with my pig of a scope.

Any idea what your stock weighs Aaron?

I haven't weighed it after I finished spraying the clear on it. I will have to break it apart and weigh it one day, I had a Vee Block put in by ray so I am sure you could save a few ounces without that. I know the whole rig weighs 17lb's 13oz's or so.