• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New for the Remington 700 - the Bolt Lift

Re: New for the Remington 700 - the Bolt Lift

Brickzva, did you do a removable install with the epoxy by using a release agent on the knob? Or did you do the permanent install?

Justin

I used lots of shoe polish on the checkering of the bolt knob, and the bedding was flawless with MarineTex. 4 hours to removal and re-install with a drop of blue gel Loctite on the screw. Definitely one of the best aftermarket bits to install on a stock 700.

Massoud: PM sent for details on my bedding.

Awesome! It will be in your hands before you know it.

Thanks for the bedding/epoxy info guys. One thing I need to point out is that the included epoxy has a very long set time. The specs say 18 hours, but I give it longer than that. Our original intent was for guys to use Marine Tex, like Carbinero, or Devcon. But not everyone has that stuff laying around, hence the included stuff. It's good at what it does but I prefer Devcon for ease of use and faster cure.
Justin

Massoud, very interesting idea. Great for duty rifles. I've heard of it before somewhere but never seen one made.

I have a legit concern though, I skimmed through the posts but didnt see anything mentioned.

Ive ran into the problem of certain knob shapes touching the stock when attached where mine are. I attach mine in the same place that the top of yours sits... right above the factory knob.

I've made knobs very similar to this design, and they either hit the stock, or came very close when put this high up on the handle.

The pic of the AICS shows its very close.

Have you ran into this problem?

Not everyone knows to look out for this either, or that it will hurt accuracy.

Keith,

The bottom of the knob is relieved for clearance, as in the photo. So far we haven't heard of anyone, nor experienced ourselves, where the knob hits the stock. The Bolt Lift really doesn't add much thickness to factory knob in that area, same thing with the top side clearing the ocular on the scope. With the appropriate angle of taper (I'm assuming yours was lathe turned), you shouldn't have seen any issues. Of course that depends on how far up the shaft you cut and thread. We are of course fixed by the length of the factory shaft.

Just to add one thing. I have seen on more than one occasion, where the stock itself wouldn't let the handle go down all the way due an insufficient clearance in the stock. I don't recall this affecting accuracy. If it was only a few degrees of missing rotation it would not jeopardize breech strength to any significant degree (i.e. the T3 is a two lug with 70 or 75 degree rotation). The Remingtons have a pretty high amount of bearing area. For this reason, I'm curious what loss of accuracy you've seen from your turned knobs touching the stock?
Justin

I see the relief, it looks similar to my Phoenix as far as clearence goes. Never held one of yours though. Just going by looks.

I install just before the factory knob. I even leave a little of the factory knobs radius there to blend with my knobs better.

Ive had two instances where a knob touched a stock, that I know of.

What you said is true, some handles hit without a bolt knob at all. Some stocks/receivers just dont mate up perfectly.

It can/does effect accuracy though. It can transfer recoil through the bolt handle.

Anyways, just an observation I made. Like I said, I've ran into that problem. It was made aware to me by another smith on here and I was very appreciative of him doing so. I hadnt thought about it until then, I didnt think there was any way one would touch.

Just thought I'd mention it. Like I said, some people dont know that can be bad for accuracy. And I've ran into it before.
I made an announcement in my thread to let customers know to be aware of it.

But anyways, its a great idea. Perfect for people that have duty rifles like you said. One shaped like my Phoenix would be pretty neat.

Keith

...On the expoy idea, did anyone mention spraying the handle/knob with release agent before epoxying the bolt lift knob on? You could probably break off the knob and have a semi-clean factory knob/handle left. I use that spray on acra-release agent. Might work.

Wow. Just came in. Extremely fast shipping! So far, from product to packaging, I'm impressed. Now I just need to install it when I get off work.

Did anyone use the epoxy? Reading reviews in this thread shows it might not be needed....I guess if it gets any movement over time, I will use the epoxy. Thanks again for great service. Now if I could get that chassis for my remington.......

Just got mine, bolted it on real quick with just the orings/screw, and a drop of blue loctite. Works great, small twist as mentioned... if I make it, but nothing noticeable under normal use.

Finally got around to putting these knobs on. I installed one with the rubber O ring on my short action. Ran a few cycles with it, liked it, but notices some softness and a little movement. My 1969 long action has a noticable thinner bolt and more play. I went ahead with the epoxy and won't look back. Liked to so much, I went ahead and epoxied the short action too.
P2030096-1.jpg

P2041312.jpg

Plenty of clearance on a Elite 6500 & 4200
P2041308.jpg

Little side follow up on this thread.

I showed the bolt lift to my dad recently. Now (within a month) he's ordered three of them for his rifles. Nothing new for this thread I know. What is different is that he's adapted (with the help of a Dremel tool) two of the bolt lifts to a Win Model 70 and a Mosberg bolt. In all each alteration took no more that 5 minutes of careful alteration.

Little side follow up on this thread.

I showed the bolt lift to my dad recently. Now (within a month) he's ordered three of them for his rifles. Nothing new for this thread I know. What is different is that he's adapted (with the help of a Dremel tool) two of the bolt lifts to a Win Model 70 and a Mosberg bolt. In all each alteration took no more that 5 minutes of careful alteration.

If I get some pictures I'll post them up to the group. Good product all around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just ordered two.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Just received them both. One for a Remington 700 PSS in 308 and another for a Remington 700 PSS in 223. The 308 fit perfectly with the smallest o-rings and sealed shut and has no play. The 223 was odd; the small o-rings were too small, the large o-rings were too big to close it. Tried 1 small and 1 big - still no go. Finally, rather than go to the hardware store and get medium o-rings (and actually by accident), I installed it upside-down but it locked up tight and fit perfectly (with small o-rings). It wasn't protruding at an angle that was really different than that of the 308 and looked great.

I really like these and the fact that they can be installed in 5 minutes and removed as well. Definitely a good buy. The packaging in the tins was certainly a nice touch.

Thanks for your orders guys! Great pics too!

We've found that even though it reduces clearance slightly between the knob and the scope, it actually increases the clearance with your hand on the bolt, i.e. when cycling the bolt. Without it, I had to be careful so my hand didn't hit the ocular of the scope, not so with the Bolt Lift on there.

Brickz, I exchanged some emails with your dad, I thought our order system was screwy, but he told me what he was doing. That's awesome and I'm glad it worked out.

Justin

Got it installed on the M700 the other day.

The clearance is close at the ocular bell, but it passes. It's no closer than the factory knob. However the Bolt Lift now allows more fingers on the knob.

IMG_4442.jpg

earlier in the thread you asked what our ideas were for other materials... well, ive got one.
I have one on a 700, i like it, it works, but i don't care for the plastic at all. How about aluminum or a different metal. Imho, i would prefer an aluminum or steel bolt knob than a polymer or plastic one anyday. just my 2c.

--Btw, it works with McRee's fixed stocks.
smile.gif

I was thinking if it were possible to have the brass sleeves replace the two pins. This way, you would definitely be able to use bolts to crank down on the o-rings and have no gap whatsoever. I use the two large to get very little movement but there is a slight gap on the side closes to the stock. Still blown away with it anyway. +Price/+Value/+Function => can't beat that strategy.

okrebel, that was something that was a big source of consternation for us. We realized some people just don't like polymer, as you mention. So we did a version of both, but the Aluminum version didn't turn out as nice as we had hoped. The surface finish was not great. If we did do a metal version, would you want to be able to remove it still? Or would a permanent install only version be ok?

dtd80, by brass sleeves do you mean threaded ones? That one that's in there is stainless steel by the way, it get's a little discolored from the heat of the molding process. We did look at threaded inserts for the two holes where the pins are at now. However, the screw would have had to be tiny, a 2-56 I think which is really small, almost like a small electronics screw. We thought people might regard the small screws as weak or chincy. What do you think?

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Justin

Yes, I mean by changing out to threaded ones. I see where your point is. I probably wouldn't have a problem with it but many people tend to "over-torque" little screws like that. I see your method was the best overall. Just trying to think of possibilities to close that slight gap while having excellent tension on the knob so it has very little movement. Mine has VERY LITTLE movement and that's when I'm manipulating the bolt aggressively. Under most circumstances, it feels solid. I would suggest having a male/female clip in place of those pins but I believe it would break over time. Thank you for even thinking about it. Most companies would laugh and not reply.

Well, the way i see it, if it were metal, then I wouldn't ever have a reason to remove it since it would last the life of the bolt. As far as finishes, I think a CM or SS handle thats cerakoted or duracoated like a normal barrel should have great results. I think it would be easier to mass produce a machined bolt lift that was smoother and had less divits (like the Badger knob). Just my 2c.
smile.gif

I love the two I have and am ordering another one for my new .223 XCR Tact Long Range I just purchased.

Got mine and installed it today. I am impressed. It's very good quality...materials and workmanship are top notch.

These are g2g

Side note: my bolt handle from a 1995 700p was a little too large, 5 mins with a dremel and it fit right.

okrebel, pm me your address, we may have something for you to look at.

Super-tac, it still amazes us how much difference in size there is. Of course it is a cast piece and not a critical fit component. Glad you got yours working!
Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Massoud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">okrebel, pm me your address, we may have something for you to look at.
</div></div>

PM Sent,
Joe

Must be getting old to keep reading the same Old "LOVE THEM" line.

But if you're a skeptic like me on most things, no need to worry about these. As Tony The Tiger would say... They're GERRRATE!!!!

Way to go KRG!

just got mine in the mail and installed on my SPS TAC...I like alot! It's definitely worth the price and is a great addition to my rifle!

Awesome idea! Works great, no clearance problems on my Rem 700 XCR w/the B&C stock. Now I am going to have to buy several more!

I'm in for 2 as well. I think its going to be close with my Vari-X III on my 700 Police, but we'll see.

Great! If they don't work just send them back to us. BTW if you are active duty please mention that as there is a discount for military and LEO's. Thanks!
Justin

Mine came in today. Night & day improvement over stock!
Great product, Thanks Justin for the fast shipping!

Thanks gents!

A side question I don't think I've asked: If we did other colors besides black, what colors would you want? Options would be FDE/Tan, OD, stuff like that.

Thanks,
Justin

Got mine last week and LOVE it. Can't imagine having a gun without one now.

As for other colors Black worked great for me. Although if I had a stainless gun, I'd probably want some kind of silver that matched the stainless look.

This might be a stupid question but I did see anyone installing it on a left handed rifle. I assume it would work but???

Thanks,
Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RDW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say try and match the colors of the AICS skins. </div></div>

THIS.

Especially with the FDE color.