• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

new Frankford Arsenal M Press inbound

mikeshaw2

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2022
NoVA for now
Found a deal on an M Press and HAD to have it. Seems to have favorable reviews.

Once it gets here and I load some rounds I'll post my thoughts.

I have a perfectly functional RCBS press that I inherited, but oooh! shiny! new! ...and no case holders floating around the bench

Likely to end up with their progressive (that's not out yet) at some point too

M

Found a deal on an M Press and HAD to have it. Seems to have favorable reviews.

Once it gets here and I load some rounds I'll post my thoughts.

I have a perfectly functional RCBS press that I inherited, but oooh! shiny! new! ...and no case holders floating around the bench

Likely to end up with their progressive (that's not out yet) at some point too

M
It sure looks like a winner since it looks like it operates very much like the Forster Co-Ax. It's disconcerting there so many reports about the shell holder being too flimsy and won't hold up to a lot of pressure. I'd take a close look at that if I were you.

Good luck!

It sure looks like a winner since it looks like it operates very much like the Forster Co-Ax. It's disconcerting there so many reports about the shell holder being too flimsy and won't hold up to a lot of pressure. I'd take a close look at that if I were you.

Good luck!
Saw the Forster. Don't get a deal on those.

This looks like the next best thing, but I won't know till I know

M

Saw the Forster. Don't get a deal on those.

This looks like the next best thing, but I won't know till I know

M
Yeah, Forsters can be really hard to find as there's such a high demand . . . and of course, that's the main reason there's no deals on them. Maybe a deal if one can find it's precursor, a used Bonanza. There's some presses out there at a much higher price that one might consider better than the Forster Co-Ax, but not really better in terms of functional results one will get from it.

Showed up today.

You've seen pics so I won't post any.

First thoughts: heavy, seems well-made. Slightly 'gritty' feeling pulling the arm, but I haven't tried lubing the thing yet.

I don't seem to have the 'shellholder plate doesn't turn' issue.

Did an initial quick setup on a couple dies. Easy peasy.

Here's hoping it does the job. Initial thoughts seems like it should. I'll load up some rounds after I shoot one of my rifles tomorrow

M

Reactions: straightshooter1
so I lubed up the arms and some of the 'gritty' feeling went down. Then I realized it wasn't the arms, but the post that separates the shell holder making it feel 'gritty.'

Now that I've run some brass thru it seems that the plus is also the minus: the easily removable dies means there is a bit of play. That plus adds to concentricity and means that when you're decapping there's a bit of play in the system that may leave your pin hitting somewhere other than the primer. It's easy to get the pin into the hole, but it means lowering the ram and adjusting by hand.

The Mighty Armory decapping pin I got to 'fix' a bent pin on the Lee universal decapping die is another great thing. Recommended.

IDK if Forsters do that too. It's a minor nit to pick cause otherwise, the M Press seems a good deal.

The combo of M Press and Frankford universal seating die is a fantastic combo so far.

M

I’m on my third M-press (well, actually back to my first, technically).

My shell-holder plate failed. A stuck case popped the plate right out, having stripped the threads in the cast base.

I filed a request for a new bottom cast base and, while waiting, spent $100 on a tap and die set, retapping the base for larger cap screws, and got it back in order.

Ultimately they sent me a second, new whole press instead of just the base.

Since mine now worked fine with the larger machine screws, I passed the new one to my buddy. He later had the same issue, and they sent him another new one.

So, I’d recommend considering upsizing the machine screws as a preventative measure.

Other than the proprietary quick change die holder issue you’ve mentioned, the only other issue I’ve had is slop in the hinged arms which can be fixed with retightening a couple retaining screws.

Not a bad device, but I ultimately upgraded to a Forster and prefer it over the M-press. Given the extra headaches endured with the M-press, the forester is worth the extra $, if the availability/lead time issue is no longer a thing.