• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New from Kansas

NightsX2

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2022
Kansas
Hello from Kansas,

I am new to this website as well as to long range shooting.

The only experience I have whatsoever was a short day class that my daughter and I took back in 2017 at the Mill Creek Gun Club in Kansas. The Instructor was absolutely fantastic - and we both enjoyed the day very much, despite showing up with 2 AR’s for the class.
The Club itself required a sponsor to join - and not being particularly outgoing myself, I admit that I was intimidated by the process involved to go about joining and I never did.

But that did not mean that I did not want to someday be able to participate in long range shooting somewhere - so I first went about getting a more appropriate rifle. After a little researching - I was greatly encouraged by the fact that so many manufacturers were close by. I wanted to purchase as much as possible from the Kansas City area as I acquired a setup for me to participate. I went with a 2017 300WM rifle from GA Precision with a Templar LA V2 in a McMillan Adjustable A-4 stock. If I had known at the time that Manners stocks were built here as well - I would have chosen them for that reason. But the McMillan has been fine so far (especially considering how little I have used it).

At the time, I found deals on a pair of used US Optics ER-25 5-25x58 scopes w/ Horus H59 reticle and thought they would do ok - until I actually learned what it is I wanted. (The only reason I bought 2 - was that the first one needed immediately sent back in for repairs). It seems in reading the web now that these have quickly been surpassed by other scopes and may not have been very good to begin with - but hopefully they will do ok to get me started.

Only 250 Rounds through the rifle, and 5 years later - I realize unequivocally that I am not very good at finding places to shoot - nor learning this sport on my own. After researching this site about 2 TBAC suppressors that I recently purchased (Magnus & Dominus-K) - I decided to try joining this forum and learn whatever I can.

God Bless,
J.D.
Kansas
Galadriel 1.JPG

I'm in Olathe. If Mill Creek had required a sponsor when I joined it would have been near impossible. Not sure when they started that. Membership was still open the last I heard but filling up. There is a place near Ottawa that shoots steel out to 1K. Membership there is a bit pricey, at least in my opinion.

Reactions: NightsX2
I'm in Olathe. If Mill Creek had required a sponsor when I joined it would have been near impossible. Not sure when they started that. Membership was still open the last I heard but filling up. There is a place near Ottawa that shoots steel out to 1K. Membership there is a bit pricey, at least in my opinion.
Thank you Hetzer.
I checked the current MCRC site - and at first read just the Application Process that did not mention a Sponsor and was thinking maybe I had gotten that wrong or it had changed.
But after looking into it a bit more, I found under the Membership Requirements it does still state:
Applicant is required to provide two letters of reference. One from a current sponsoring MCRC member and the other from an acquaintance. Both must have recent target shooting experience with the applicant.
It also looks like they are now at Membership Capacity.
I contacted the Membership Director in hopes that maybe I can be added to the Wait List - and then sort out the Sponsor part when and if that ever becomes a possibility.
I will check out the Ottawa place you mentioned though.
Thank you very much for the reply and information.

Last edited: