• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New from Orlando FL

arhim22

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2010
Hey guys, I'm a member on AR15.com and wanted to go into something more long range so I joined SH and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a student at UCF in orlando FL and I love to shoot, although there aren't any outdoor ranges nearby. I'm want to start shooting long range and learn all the windage, MOA etc. NOt sure what all that means now but I'm looking to learn. I will also be looking for a new bolt action rifle preferably Remington 700 .308. Not sure on what scope. THanks guys.

Re: New from Orlando FL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arhim22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a member on AR15.com</div></div>

Paging Boltripper...More refugees.

Welcome to the hide. Read up. I spent the first 18 years of my life in Montverde, Florida about 30 minutes west of you outside Clermont. The Navy put me out here in Cali...back on the East coast in January!

Josh

hahaha. I love any kind of forums. a lot of nice ppl and information.

Manatee Gun and archery is about an hour south of Tampa and 30 miles west of Bradenton. There is a range in Lakeland (Tenoroc) that is supposed to be decent and there's Port Malabar over by Melbourne.

For long range, Manatee and Port Malabar get you to 1000 yards. I have never been to Port Malabar but hear good things!

It's a very big state and there are ranges that are closr to Orlando. Try Florida Shooters Network for locations of ranges!

Port Malabar has a 600 yd range not 1000.
Non members can shoot on weekends during scheduled matches.
The Intermediate Training is for practice and a good way to get acquainted with
longer distances.
http://pmrpc.com/hp.php

Thanks for the correction. Been a while since I read the literature on Port Malabar. Was going to sneak o ver there while my daughter was rowing at FIT last January. Couldn't make it that day...

Sorry for the incorrect info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the correction. Been a while since I read the literature on Port Malabar. Was going to sneak o ver there while my daughter was rowing at FIT last January. Couldn't make it that day...

Sorry for the incorrect info. </div></div>

Your daughter rows for FIT? Is Casey still coaching? My wife rowed for FIT during her undergrad, but she graduated in '05.

the gun range in lakeland isn't anything great..just 100yrds. Manatee gun club is great... also there is a range up in bradford, fl just south of starke, fl you may want to check out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onebadscrambler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome from Fruitland Park. I believe there is a 300 yard range at Central Fl Rifle and Pistol in your area. </div></div>

You are correct. They have a 300 there and also have plenty of matches each month. I was a member there for many years. Nice club.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phantasm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the correction. Been a while since I read the literature on Port Malabar. Was going to sneak over there while my daughter was rowing at FIT last January. Couldn't make it that day...

Your daughter rows for FIT? Is Casey still coaching? My wife rowed for FIT during her undergrad, but she graduated in '05. </div></div>

No sir, she rows for Tampa Catholic High School! They attend an indoor regatta at FIT every January with schools and clubs from all over the state. As it is conducted entirely on Erg machines, in the main Gym at FIT, it is an unpleasant thing to attend as a spectator. Not that it's all that enjoyable for the rowers! They pull those erg cords like maniacs until the target distance is reached on the screen, trying to max out their stroke rate. As the spring sprint season is about to begin, they are intensely trying to make a place for themselves in their respective boats. So they are serious, anxious and without the usual comfort and comradery of the tented campsites we typically have at real regattas

So with there being little to no fun, nothing productive to do like launch and retrieve shells or prepare food for the kids, I hoped to get in some shooting a few miles away. Thus, I was hoping to dart over to Port Malabar that day as the event lasts all friggin day and there would have been ample time. Just didn't work out.

Maybe next year.

I am a member at Manatee and it is always good to get there whenever possible. During the "States" and "Southeast Regionals" regattas in April-May, both held this year in Sarasota, I was able to get away for a few hours each weekend to the nearby Manatee range. Very relaxing escape from the brief moments of intense rowing interspersed with long periods between heats, also with few productive things to do once the tents are set up and the kids are fed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phantasm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the correction. Been a while since I read the literature on Port Malabar. Was going to sneak over there while my daughter was rowing at FIT last January. Couldn't make it that day...

Your daughter rows for FIT? Is Casey still coaching? My wife rowed for FIT during her undergrad, but she graduated in '05. </div></div>

No sir, she rows for Tampa Catholic High School! They attend an indoor regatta at FIT every January with schools and clubs from all over the state. As it is conducted entirely on Erg machines, in the main Gym at FIT, it is an unpleasant thing to attend as a spectator. Not that it's all that enjoyable for the rowers! They pull those erg cords like maniacs until the target distance is reached on the screen, trying to max out their stroke rate. As the spring sprint season is about to begin, they are intensely trying to make a place for themselves in their respective boats. So they are serious, anxious and without the usual comfort and comradery of the tented campsites we typically have at real regattas

So with there being little to no fun, nothing productive to do like launch and retrieve shells or prepare food for the kids, I hoped to get in some shooting a few miles away. Thus, I was hoping to dart over to Port Malabar that day as the event lasts all friggin day and there would have been ample time. Just didn't work out.

Maybe next year.

I am a member at Manatee and it is always good to get there whenever possible. During the "States" and "Southeast Regionals" regattas in April-May, both held this year in Sarasota, I was able to get away for a few hours each weekend to the nearby Manatee range. Very relaxing escape from the brief moments of intense rowing interspersed with long periods between heats, also with few productive things to do once the tents are set up and the kids are fed.
</div></div>

I know the event you are speaking of. My sister was also on the rowing team at FIT. At that same even about 6-7 yrs ago my sister blew out her knee, thus ending her rowing career.

Best of luck to your daughter. I hope she does well.

Thank you. Very sorry about your sisters injury. Nor surprising given the crazed focus of these kids to row like beings possessed!

Mine does love it so!

Going into her junior year and there is talk my tuition burden may be lightened!

Sorry for the derailment of the thread...

Also sorry to hear Tenoroc is less than what I've heard. My main venues are at the Wyoming Antelope Club in St. Pete (16 miles from casa de QQ) and Manatee which is 65 miles away but a very scenic drive through some very pretty country.

When I win Powerball or complete the QQ Chronicals,(Whichever comes first!) I plan on building my own range somewhere in the rolling country between Dade City and Mt Dora.

One would be hard pressed to find prettier country in the state!

Welcome and the Remington would be a good start for a first rifle.