• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new from Texas

hoghunter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2010
Texas
Well how do we start, I am located outside of Austin and we have had a time with feral hogs. We kill on a bad month aprox 50 pigs,We give all the meat to whoever will take it,The problem we are having is some of the long shots are getting out of range for the 300 I shoot,I found Snipers hide and have been reading the posts and decided to build a semi-auto that i can put a good optic on and in the future add night vision too.What I have started with is a DPMS LR308 with a 24 inch barrel,harris by-pod and the next step is the optics,,the farthest shot will be aprox 500 yards.I have been looking at the Nightforce optics nxs 3.5-15x50 with a atn 3p for the night shots.ammo is looking like black hills,any thought would help,Thanks Greg

Re: new from Texas

Nothing wrong with that setup, don't know much about the NV. but that setup will get you there no prob.

I would say you might want to look into doing some reloading for best results out of you rifle, but there are some factory loads that will work for what your going to do. Hornady 168 A-Max, FGGM. 175gr. Black hills 175gr.

If you need help killing those pigs give me a call!!!
grin.gif

Welcome to the Hide.

I might look else where for NV optics. ATN doesn't exactly have a good rep, and for good reason. Do so searching and you will find good intel on NV. Or for that matter there are some people you could PM/call and they will get you some good 411.

BTW I'm always willing help a fellow Texan with his hog problem
wink.gif

Sounds like a good kit for those hogs. Just one question...what kind of 300 were you shooting? RUM, WIN Mag, and Weatherby Mag will all reach out and touch anything inside 1200m (1500m with the right conditions!). Just curious. Your DPMS will deliver. Especially for the follow-ups.

Good hunting.

Remington 700,I picked the dpms due to the thought of multiple shots before the pigs make it back to the woods,if you know pigs you know you can kill alot if you do your job with a quality weapon.The atn will only reach aprox 300 yards with good starlight so it will be removable so we can shoot in the daylight also.

I can recommend a few guys in Austin to show you the ropes and help engage your hogs at extended distance if needed.

he should work up a hog shooting party, brings some atvs flush them out and bang,bang,bang wheres that wabbit.
and theres no problem about feeding the guest; theres plenty of pork to go around, lol!

we might have to get a party together,the problem is the right to passage for all then people that we dont know.The landowners are so scared of law-suits,bla,bla.
we have tried to sell hunts for the pigs just to pay for corn and yall no the idiots that you get out and say thet can shoot 300 yards open sights with a 45-70 in the dark "yea right" thats why we stopped the hunts.might start again.we will see?

If you do your vetting on the help, you'll find a number of use on here are not only decent shots but good stand up people that wouldn't jeperdize the hunts over some pride. I'd also like to be considered if you need any help.

thats what im seeing thanks for all the responses.fly-boy what part of Houston you in.

Shoot me a PM with your contact info and I will let you check out my night vision setup. I use a PVS 14 with a supressor. The guy I shoot with has PVS 7D goggles. I also reload 308 so I can trade all kinds of information for some hog hunting.

Make sure you get the DPMS 308 with the forward assist. I have a lot of trouble with mine that doesnt have one. Nothing worse that being on a hog and hearing that CLICK.

check your feed ramps; I had to have mine sent back to recut and polish them. No issues since.

I am just down the street from you and would love to help out in shooting some hogs!!!

The N/V can be very expensive, but it only hurts once. I would forget ATN as formentioned. If you can afford it go with Gen 3 scope, give Victor a call at Tactical Night Vision he can give some advise in that regard. The D-740 4x or D-760 6x would be some to consider.

Nothing wrong with taking occasional shots or hunting hogs but if you are really serious about hog control, ditch the LR rifles, night vision stuff etc and either buy you a helicopter and a couple of AR's or hire a service that will do aerial hog erradication.
You are dreaming if you think you are doing anything substantial for reducing numbers by "hunting" them. 50 hogs in a month? that's an hour or two flying. Dont get me wrong, every dead hog is a good hog!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nothing wrong with taking occasional shots or hunting hogs but if you are really serious about hog control, ditch the LR rifles, night vision stuff etc and either buy you a helicopter and a couple of AR's or hire a service that will do aerial hog erradication.
You are dreaming if you think you are doing anything substantial for reducing numbers by "hunting" them. 50 hogs in a month? that's an hour or two flying. Dont get me wrong, every dead hog is a good hog!
wink.gif
</div></div>

Wow there is a service that shoots hog by air. How cool is that!!! damn how many hogs are out there?

If you are serious I can get you hands on time with NV, Suppressed Semi auto rifles, and other top notch hog killing stuff, I am in Wimberley, around 25 mins from austin.

unfortunately it's illegal to sell hunts from helicopters.

there are services that do that, but it's not for "sale" to you or me.

Otherwise it would be getting done already.