• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New from West Texas

Which is the preferred caliber for ranges up to 1000yds.

• 6mm Creedmoor

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • 6.5mm Creedmoor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

xswab

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2020
A little about myself, old guy, 77, 10.5 years in US Navy, Vietnam Vet, don't hunt but love to shoot. Trying to get back into long range and was hoping someone could save me a lot of time. I have a 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor and was wondering what seems to be the best weight bullet to use, also on the 6 does it make a difference if you use the small or large primer cases? Don't know a lot about ballistics, going to have to learn. Did get me a chronograph, just got to learn how to use it. Started watching the King of the Mile, You Tube stuff, got me itching again. Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 338dude
A little about myself, old guy, 77, 10.5 years in US Navy, Vietnam Vet, don't hunt but love to shoot. Trying to get back into long range and was hoping someone could save me a lot of time. I have a 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor and was wondering what seems to be the best weight bullet to use, also on the 6 does it make a difference if you use the small or large primer cases? Don't know a lot about ballistics, going to have to learn. Did get me a chronograph, just got to learn how to use it. Started watching the King of the Mile, You Tube stuff, got me itching again. Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Listen sir, you've come to the right place. How many sections do you have and when could I come by for a hunting/ bullet selection discussion trip?

• Haha
I'm just picking on you. Either of those chanberings will handle 1,000y with ease. A little more recoil with the 6.5, but also less wind drift. I seem to remember the wind was pretty rough out there is west texas.

I'm just picking on you. Either of those chanberings will handle 1,000y with ease. A little more recoil with the 6.5, but also less wind drift. I seem to remember the wind was pretty rough out there is west texas.
Picking is ok, I have been known to do a little myself. Wind gets a little rough at times. Every once in a while, we get a calm day. Today was not one of those days. By the way, I got no land. Wife chose a house in the big town of Pecos. Have a friend with about 150 sections, he just want let anyone hunt on it, too many wells. National Forest in Cloudcroft New Mexico not very far from here.

welcome I vote for the 6.5 creed but you could use either of them just as well or bad depending on your skill .

I remember the first time I spent some time down there and found out that I'd been pronouncing "Pecos" wrong all my life, and only the locals knew the correct pronunciation. I like it down there.

I remember the first time I spent some time down there and found out that I'd been pronouncing "Pecos" wrong all my life, and only the locals knew the correct pronunciation. I like it down there.
Originally from Odessa, moved to Pecos in 2004 for work. Most people not from West Texas pronounce it wrong, mostly Pee-coos. Good place to live, local people are great, and it is nice seeing someone you know almost everywhere you go. Too old to move again and don't know where I would move to if I did. We are starting to get some new stuff here. Mostly fast food but we did get a large United grocery store which is great. Now we get fresh stuff.