• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New future competition shooter in the works! -Pics

MPWarrior653

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2011
St. Cloud, MN
Hey everybody! I've been around SH for over a year now, finally decided to start pushing limits and seeing where I stand!

I just bought a Savage MKII BV right around thanksgiving, haven't stretched it out too much, furthest I've been able to shoot so far was about 185 yards. Put together what I thought was a decent grouping though, and now I'm REALLY hooked! I picked up a big piece of steel to shoot at from work yesterday, because .22 holes are kind of hard to see at 150+ yards.. The shots showed up really well on the rusty steel lol, but now what do I do? Can I paint over them and shoot more? What color works best? Do you guys let the paint dry before shooting your next round?

I've read quite a bit here, but I'm always up for new ideas for targets to make / shoot at! My parents land from corner to corner is only about... 300 yards I would say, so I'll try stretching it out to that distance now that I put the bipod on my rifle! I was just mainly doing prone (somewhat) supported. lol.

Okay, long enough intro already, I'm from Central Minnesota and I'm in the National Guard. That is all! Thanks for all the information you guys have provided me so far!

Re: New future competition shooter in the works!

Welcome, Shooting at longer ranges with the .22 is a blast!!! Keep it up and you will be wishing you had more than 300 yards. ha ha

summer time. paint the steel white. You can hits out to 300 yards.

Winter time, white still works but tough to pick up the target in snow. Orange maybe?

Glad to hear your enthusiasm for shooting. Learn as much as you can about your gun, the ballistics that effect your shots and how to judge and compensate for the wind and you will do well. The rest is just trigger time and keeping the ammo stocked up. Good luck and have a blast.

Paint and shoot, repeat as needed. No need to let it dry. Buy the cheapest stuff you can buy at your local discount store, you don't need Rustoleum. Use flat colors as it will dry much faster. White and black are all you should ever need.

We use neon orange, it shows up against grass, trees, dirt, snow, and the bullet pock marks are very defined even from .22s.

Thanks guys! It's been a blast shooting, now that I'm laid off for the winter I plan to make it out shooting a thousand rounds or so a week. Which still only costs like $30 lol.

I was at Walmart last night, that's where I've been getting all my ammo because I've just been shooting all bulk, and looked at all the different kinds of 22LR ammo. Oofta.. there's a lot of choices haha, I plan to pick up some CCI Mini-Mags, maybe some Maxi-mags, the Federal Bulk Match Ammo... I don't plan on shooting expensive stuff a lot, I like my less than 3 cent ammo lol, but it would be cool to know I can stretch it out and get head shots on a gopher way out there lol.

I've been starting a log book, kind of. Sometimes I just get so into the shooting and getting hits that I forget to keep track of everything lol. I bought the cheap Centerpoint 4-16x40 Mil-Dot scope. So I have a lot of data to collect! At the moment it's zeroed at 100 yards, about how far do you think I'll be able to zero to before I run out of elevation? Any guesses at least?

I've noticed I'm a little more long winded than most people here... my bad haha. I'll try to keep them shorter / sweeter from now on! Thanks for the warm welcome boys!

Here are some pics, this would have probably spiced up the topic in the first place lol.

Here's my baby... I call her Sweet Caroline.

SweetCaroline.jpg

One of my first 100 yard groups with my new 22!

100Yardgroup.jpg

First 150 yard group. Was supposed to be a 10-shot group, I shot one as an aim point... Not sure how I ended up with 12 hits in this group though lol.

150yardgroup.jpg

The 100 yard group was made one day, pretty calm, with Winchester 333 round bulk pack. 150 yard group was with the federal 550rd bulk pack 5-7mph wind, from my 2 O'clock. So far my rifle likes the Federal WAY more, plus they sound a lot better haha. Can't wait to test out some GOOD shooting ammo!