• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing New GAP 6.5 SAUM on the way 130 or 140?

ROCKer

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2005
Madison,MS
I've got a 6.5 SAUM almost ready and I'm trying to decide what hunting round and load to use. I'm torn between the 130 and 140 Hunting VLD. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I second the recommendation for the 140's. Depending on Barrel length, 3200 should be damn easy.

Now for the $64,000 question. Did you manage to get your hands on any brass? :D

r

For steel and general prone fun I go with the 140's
If you want to get more speed and really flat trajectory go with that pointed 130 VLD. I am running a MILD load at 3200. And that is what we hunt with.

The beauty of the 6.5 SAUM is the low pressure it runs off of. You can probably get a 130gr bullet upwards of 3400+ fps if you want.

I've got to call Copper creek and get some brass on the way.

Last edited:
Mine should be here in next week too !! :cool: George used the 130 VLD up in Montana last year. It was incredible. We had a blast whacking steel with it as well.

will send ya a PM Rocker...

I ran the numbers today for a 140 hybrid and a 130 vld at the numbers Pat has posted over at 24hourcampfire today. I used the Litz g7 bc's for both and it is pretty much a toss up. 140 hybrid was .5 moa less wind and 100 more ft/lbs of energy at 1000 yards (1000 ft/lbs vs. 900 ft/lbs) than the 130 vld. The 130 was 1 moa less elevation. All this was run at 1300 ft elevation with the standard weather data on ballistic.

xhunter004.jpg

A look at my GAP "Extreme Hunter", 6.5 SAUM.

So far this rifle drills everything I shoot through it. 139gr scenars at 3100fps are stupid accurate. The 140gr Hybrids are no slouch either. I've also tried 130 JLK's, and 130gr Berger Hunting VLD's at 3240fps. There will be four or five of these rifles at my shoot up here this weekend. We will test different loads out to a mile and see what we come up with....George's comp rifle has 3300 rounds through it and still hammering. Performance and durability.

640004.jpg

"Wolfie" would have been in dire straights at 640 meters with a stiff crosswind.

saumgroups003.jpg

Not bad for a sub nine pound hunting rifle......

What are the specs on that rifle?

xhunter004.jpg

A look at my GAP "Extreme Hunter", 6.5 SAUM.

So far this rifle drills everything I shoot through it. 139gr scenars at 3100fps are stupid accurate. The 140gr Hybrids are no slouch either. I've also tried 130 JLK's, and 130gr Berger Hunting VLD's at 3240fps. There will be four or five of these rifles at my shoot up here this weekend. We will test different loads out to a mile and see what we come up with....George's comp rifle has 3300 rounds through it and still hammering. Performance and durability.

640004.jpg

"Wolfie" would have been in dire straights at 640 meters with a stiff crosswind.

saumgroups003.jpg

Not bad for a sub nine pound hunting rifle......

Psinclair, keep me posted on the loads. I'm getting my parts together for my loads. Looks like I'm going to run 130 berger vlds and h1000. About to call copper creek and get brass. George has my action and barrel ready and I'm waiting on the stock to be painted. I shouldn't have gone with the custom paint job.

Last edited:
I have a 6.5 saum being built as well should be done in the next month or so. Looking at doing some load development with the 140 Hybrids and H-1000 or Reloader 33 (if I can get my hands on it).

Side note Copper Creek sells 6.5 suam stamped brass. Im not sure if they still have any in stock but worth calling and checking

I went with a 6.5 wsm through pacnor but mine wont be here till the end of june :( i am going with 140gr Amaxs is the plan anyways.

I just ordered 250 rounds of brass from Josh at Copper Creek. Man, he's one hell of a guy! A+ with customer support and service.

Pat,
What would be the valid reasons to go from the 7WSM to the 6.5 SAUM, besides less recoil?

I am in the process of putting together components for a 6.5 SAUM build as well.

I am curious as to your brass prep. Are you doing it in steps going from 300 SAUM brass down to 7 SAUM then down to 6.5 SAUM? Are you having to neck turn the cases? This is what I have been preparing to do with my set up.

I was able to purchase some 300 SAUM brass and I have dies on order. I have my action, barrel, muzzle brake,the chassis, trigger, and the reamer is on order...hoping to get it up and running before fall hunting season. I am planning on running the 140's as well, possibly 140 berger hunting VLD's if I can find them.

Very nice set-up you have there!

Alright guys, I've read this and the other thread about this beast. Couple of questions: Who's making dies for the 6.5 SAUM? Anyone have data/velocities on the 160 matrix? I'm betting the Nosler 129gr LR accubond would be a monster in this caliber... I think I need to call Ken.

Redding is making dies. I ordered mine from Midway 30+ day back order on them through midway. Not sure what velocities are going to be, Looking forward to playing with it though!