• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New GAP 7 WSM and USO

dpreston

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Western Pa
I bought the rifle for some long range hunting in Wyoming this fall. I have an antelope and mule deer combo hunt scheduled for the 1st of October.

Bartlein Barrel - 24"
Weight - 8.5-9 lbs
Decelerator pad
15 MOA base

Here are the specs on what I was shooting:

Win Brass (turned to .0135)
H4831SC 64.5 gr
180 Berger Match VLD
Fed 215 Primers

537 yard hog I shot
IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

Here's a pic with the newest addition to the family (my USO)
IMG_0064-1.jpg

--------------------------------------------------
UPDATE

Today I shot a few 5 shot groups with H4831SC and RL-22. I got some very nice groups with 4831, but the RL-22 seemed to open them up to just under an inch. All groups were shot off a bench with a bipod and rear bag.

78 degrees
5 mph right to left (10 mph gusts)

Heres a pic of the H4831SC group from 100 yards.
64 grains on left, 64.5 grains on right
IMG_0167.jpg

The group on the right can easily be covered by a dime.
IMG_0073.jpg

Re: New GAP 7 WSM!!

Nice setup dude! By the way what manners stock is that, looking to purchase one soon.

great looking rifle!let us know she shoots and good luck this fall hunting.

Is that the 7WSM that George had earlier this week, if so I was trying like hell to sell some things to snag it. O well good luck I am sure you'll be happy. If I remember correctly it was a light tactical model, what is the weight?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GB213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that the 7WSM that George had earlier this week, if so I was trying like hell to sell some things to snag it. O well good luck I am sure you'll be happy. If I remember correctly it was a light tactical model, what is the weight?</div></div>

Looks hell of a lot like it.

Nice rifle.

GG

Now that's a nice rig right thar... No doubt about it - gonna be a shooter!

I like that scope rail - what is it?

It is indeed the rifle George listed a few days ago. I have been looking for a long range hunting rig for a while in the for sale section, but nothing caught my eye until this.

Barrel is 24" + brake

Weight is 10 lbs. (with bipod and sling) (bathroom scale)
--so I figure it will be about 11.5 when its all said and done

And I am not exactly sure which base is on it (when I saw it I knew I wanted it, so I didn't ask too many questions or it woulda been gone). The base has 15 MOA in it. If anyone knows for sure by looking at it I would like to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice rig !

where are you coming hunting out here ?

got lots of good coyote calling
grin.gif
</div></div>

I'll be out in Wheatland... An outfitter there is going to take me and my father out. Do you know if thats a good area?

Nice stick!! I just got the call last night - my new GAP 300 WSM shipped out today. It should be here next Wed. - I can't wait!!

Where you at in Western Pa - I'm up near New Stanton/Greensburg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice stick!! I just got the call last night - my new GAP 300 WSM shipped out today. It should be here next Wed. - I can't wait!!

Where you at in Western Pa - I'm up near New Stanton/Greensburg</div></div>

Congrats on the 300 WSM! I ordered mine on Wednesday, and I got the call to come pick it up today.... now that's fast shipping!

I live in Greenville which is about an hour north of Pitt

I've been waitin for 9 months for this bad boy to be done!!

Your base may be the "hunter style" base for the Templar Hunter action - not positive though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been waitin for 9 months for this bad boy to be done!!

Your base may be the "hunter style" base for the Templar Hunter action - not positive though.</div></div>

haha I waited 2 days.... but I do have another build I've been waiting on for about 6 months... should be done in another month.

And I think you may be right on the base. What is the difference between their hunter style action and their regular actions?

The action on the Templar Hunter has the port opened up more to allow for top loading of the rifle & better case ejection out of the port for hunting purposes.

I have the Templar Hunter coming on my 300 WSM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpreston</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice rig !

where are you coming hunting out here ?

got lots of good coyote calling
grin.gif
</div></div>

I'll be out in Wheatland... An outfitter there is going to take me and my father out. Do you know if thats a good area? </div></div>

Lots of Goats for sure. Gonna be a good year for horn growth on everything !! lots of rain and green grass. Will be some nice ones for sure
cool.gif

I wonder how a US Optics O.D. Green hard anodizing would look/match the paint job on this....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The action on the Templar Hunter has the port opened up more to allow for top loading of the rifle & better case ejection out of the port for hunting purposes.

I have the Templar Hunter coming on my 300 WSM. </div></div>

Why would it be more opened up for top loading when the rifle is built with DBM?

I think he meant its opened up for easier single loading, more room to drop a round in the action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lostsheep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is it throated to seat the 180Gr berger to magazine length?</div></div>

It is.

In the next week or two I will have a full report on a ladder test and 5 shot groups.

Re: New GAP 7 WSM!! Ladder Test Update (6-13-10)

Nice rifle. Try RL-25, that should give you the velocity your looking for.

Why so many pokes,while spinning your wheels?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why so many pokes,while spinning your wheels?</div></div>

excuse me?

P.S. fill out your profile

Looks very promising...that ought to get you a mulie and pronghorn.

What does a profile have to do with you flinging bullets?

I take it that you are more than a touch unsure as to why you do what you do.

Nice Stick....I like your 5 gallon seat as well
wink.gif
haha....."necessity is the mother of all invention!"

Hykin,C

I'd be very dubious as a minimum,to read "results" collected in such a manner. The ladder stuff has always cracked me up as much as break-in and the two conjoined,while firing a single poke,is a textbook example of how to yield nothing but spent primers.

Just sayin'.

Its all opinion buddy. You've got your view, I've got mine. And mine has worked out damn good for me in the past so there's no reason to change now.

so your saying that breaking in a new barrel and shooting ladder tests are pointless?

Especially in conjunction,because you are entering variables...when you should be eliminating same.

Wow. Freshkills.

Anyhow, waiting on my 7wsm now. Looks like you got a nice piece there.