• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft New Ghillie order, thoughts?

GhilliedPeeper

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2011
If interested please email me for a quote.

[email protected]

011.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

0212.jpg

020.jpg

014.jpg

009.jpg

Last edited:
Re: New Ghillie order, thoughts?

I like. Personally, I like duck canvas because it's not as shiny, it takes dye better, and it's a little bit quieter when things brush against it. Also I keep the base color of the reinforcements light, such as tan, so it won't make any dark spots on my suit when not in the prone. Then I spray on dye to break up the color.

But it's not my suit, but I love how it's constructed. May I ask how much minus garnish?

Not bad. Way too much jute though. Even ha;f of that would be too much. My new suit is going to be built on some desert marpat, and I might go with coyote brown skids if I cant find some desert marpat cordura.

I Find that tactical consealments camelbrown drab is a happy medium between coyote brown and coyote tan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dangedan87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I Find that tactical consealments camelbrown drab is a happy medium between coyote brown and coyote tan. </div></div>

I might have to try it...

If you need MARPAT 1000D codura in desert or woodland and Multicam,check with rockywoods.com they have it in stock.And for a good deal on thread go to the threadexchange.com....

Not sure what mesh your using on the back,if its a porthole nylon mesh over time stuffing veg. into the suit will tear holes in it because its a light weight material.The best mesh for the job is this one,,,, http://www.lowyusa.com/mesh8885

The stuff you are using will work just as well. It doesnt have large holes in it, so you'll be ok.

I'm going to try paracord for jute attachment for my next suit. Seems like it would be a fun project and something new.

i've done a few paracord models in the past and it seems to be a better method than using netting, but much more labor intensive. also allows the suit base pattern to show through the garnish for even more of a 3 dimensional effect.

Chance the mesh you are using is the best and most durable,one thing I would add as a backer to the mesh is a fine mosquito netting.Small ants can still work their way through the mesh and the netting will give a smooth backing to the coarse mesh.

I would take extra care when stitching in the mesh and double stitch with 69 thread and go over the seams with edge binding tape to leave a clean seam.Its great to have a suit with alot of ventilation but I would'nt compromise the integrity of the suit and material with to much of a good thing.You don't want to have your gear coming back for repairs because you did not add in some extra stitching.The heavier you build the suits the better your machine needs to be and in the long run the better your suits will turn out.

I have tried all types of netting and keep going back to gutted 550 cord,its easy to get online and comes in the colors I need.

You can get away with a smaller grid. Use a 2" or 1.75" grid, and you'll still have good coverage.

Guys, I know I'm jumping in mid discussion. But... I had a think/question or three on this.
Has/does anyone using fishing net? It's cheap, as well as strong. In addition to being available in various hole sizes. And if you want stuff that's nigh on indestructable, Spectra/Dyneema netting's the way to go. Though, make sure you're sitting down when you look at the pricing on it. Spectra's pretty much immune to UV, & has amazing abrasion resistance.

Has anyone used Carharts as the base for a suit? That, or Filson's... And yeah, I like seriously durable tools & toys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jean Lafitte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, I know I'm jumping in mid discussion. But... I had a think/question or three on this.
Has/does anyone using fishing net? It's cheap, as well as strong. In addition to being available in various hole sizes. And if you want stuff that's nigh on indestructable, Spectra/Dyneema netting's the way to go. Though, make sure you're sitting down when you look at the pricing on it. Spectra's pretty much immune to UV, & has amazing abrasion resistance.

Has anyone used Carharts as the base for a suit? That, or Filson's... And yeah, I like seriously durable tools & toys. </div></div>

I've used fish net before, many times, it works well. But from now on it is paracord for me. Much stronger , but like Brutus said, much more labor intensive.

Guess I goofed description wise on the netting. I was referring to the various commercial grades available. With it, strenght is NOT an issue. Just don't use polypro. It's too slick to easily tie much onto it, & polypro likes the sun about as much as Dracula.
And by polypro, I'm referring to the same stuff that's used for inexpensive water-ski tow ropes.

I can't say I've used that before.

Some's strong enough that if you get too many fish in the net, & they decide to haul ass straight down, they'll take the vessel along with'em.

The best netting I've found is nylon knotless netting it will sew down flat where netting with knots will brake needles.I found a company that would custom dye netting for me but I would have to order a shit metric ton of it.

A 2x2 is how I sew down the Para cord grid and gutting the cord makes for a better secure stitch,sew over the cord then back the machine up and then forward for a triple stitch.

The plus I see with para cord is stuffing in veg...

cant wait to see pictures. Another tip, tack the 550 down with a dab of glue, it will be easier to sew.

Looks good. On the next suit, try a larger grid. You can still get good coverage and a lot less labor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good. On the next suit, try a larger grid. You can still get good coverage and a lot less labor.</div></div> Agree on the larger grid. From a user standpoint, I like about 1.5" squares. Gives enough room for shoving the veg in but still holding it in place so it isn't flopping around.

Damn these suits look great. Where were you guys in '95 when I was wearing my fingers out sewing my ghillie by hand?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good. On the next suit, try a larger grid. You can still get good coverage and a lot less labor.</div></div> Agree on the larger grid. From a user standpoint, I like about 1.5" squares. Gives enough room for shoving the veg in but still holding it in place so it isn't flopping around.

Damn these suits look great. Where were you guys in '95 when I was wearing my fingers out sewing my ghillie by hand? </div></div>

From what I've seen around the forum... Shay was probably playing T-Ball at that time. :p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost1941</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good. On the next suit, try a larger grid. You can still get good coverage and a lot less labor.</div></div> Agree on the larger grid. From a user standpoint, I like about 1.5" squares. Gives enough room for shoving the veg in but still holding it in place so it isn't flopping around.

Damn these suits look great. Where were you guys in '95 when I was wearing my fingers out sewing my ghillie by hand? </div></div>

From what I've seen around the forum... Shay was probably playing T-Ball at that time. :p </div></div>

Heck, by 95 I was finally a year old!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost1941</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good. On the next suit, try a larger grid. You can still get good coverage and a lot less labor.</div></div> Agree on the larger grid. From a user standpoint, I like about 1.5" squares. Gives enough room for shoving the veg in but still holding it in place so it isn't flopping around.

From what I've seen around the forum... Shay was probably playing T-Ball at that time. :p </div></div>

Heck, by 95 I was finally a year old! </div></div>

Damn, even younger than I thought. Seen a lot of your work around. Good job bud.

Thank you, Sir. I try my best to make good gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thank you, Sir. I try my best to make good gear.</div></div>
You definitely succeed Shay!

Well, I have supplies coming for a new suit... Gonna try my hand at using paracord.

How many feet of paracord have you used on the suit? It's looking outstanding.

Ahh, gotcha. I have 200 feet and I decided on a 3" grid for my suit, since I never really use a lot of burlap, and it will be easy to stuff leaves and such in. I've found that it makes it so much easier to tack the paracord down with glue then sew it. By far, yours looks a ton better than mine, but mine will get the job done. Great work, Sir.

DSCI0577.jpg

Here was my try. Not as professional looking as yours, but i like the way it turned out.

I'm not sure. I've been working on it about 4 hours a day for the last week and a half. It's been close to 30 hours.

great looking suits guys. Trying to decide whether I want to tack the para cord down with a sewing machine or glue it. What kinda glue did you use to tack your paracord down Shay?

hey the suit looks great! where would i buy that burlap from? could you send me the link on where i could purchase it from please? and why does everyone cut theyre jackets open? im new to it all?

THESE ARE GREAT SUITS.. HOW WOULD THE PRACORD HOLD UP WITH JUST THE GLUE?? WHAT IS THE REASON FOR THE MESH? I AM NEW TO THE SUITS BUT I WANT TO BUILD MY OWN..

THANKS BRENT

I used shoogoo and e600 for my suit, didnt sew it yet, but so far, no failures after a few months of hard use. I guess this glue works.

What kinda of zippers do you use??? Im trying to get all my stuff together so i can get started

Thanks,
Brent

Nice suit. I have made several but only most recent one has been any good. I am curious, Why did you put zippers on the sides of the jacket? I assume it was you can access a tac belt of vest correct?

looking good Chance.. im almost ready to get started on my first suit

construction looks tight
not to be a debbie downer, but you may want to watch the paracord grid pattern if you are selling these. not that im a fan of government enforced patents at all, but i do believe tactical concealment holds a patent on the 550 cord grid and bar tack. all you need is an injunction, court order or a law suit

Following the logic of Axeman,

To save corners how about rectangles...not squares and keeps you with same basic manf process........These look Great!!!!

nice, heavy looking ghillie. are you actually using bolt camo material or premade pants/shirts?

for what its worth, i think the patent is only enforceable if you are making them for sale or engaged in commerce with the design that is patented. but i could be wrong. so if its for personal use, there shouldnt be a problem, as in a shooter making a suit for himself.

* rant on *
this is in no way a bash on tac con...
but just to illustrate the silliness of patents and/or intellectual property.
in the 20th century someone found out that the wheel barrow, an ancient design copied by every civilization throughout history, wasnt patented. someone took the design to the patent office and it is now patented.

lots of companies these days are forced to take out a patent on an item as a defensive measure. in another words to make sure they dont get sued if another company uses their design, goes to the patent office and gets a patent on the item the first company was already making. because the new company now holds a patent, they can sue the company originally making it (but without a patent) for patent infringement.

I did a patent search every way i could think of, including by inventor's name and came up with nothing on this. You should always do your own (preferably using a Patent lawyer), if you plan to sell these suits.

Frankly, it seems unlikely the gridded paracord method would qualify as being innovative enough (my humble opinion), since netting already exists and does the same thing. My first ghillie used a similar method and i had never even looked on the internet.

I looked into the patent process several years ago and found it difficult to prove you really have something new and innovative, regardless of how great you think it is. I found some innovative attachment patents that involve ways to manufacture ghillie suits with netting or otherwise attach camouflage to this or that. Perhaps the inventor is someone else. I didn't find this patent under Mike's name, nor under Tactical concealment.

I have continued searching and still nothing except an old patent from 1993 that is not Mike's and not about 550 cord. There are quite a few ways to word this idea, but generally inputting a name of inventor will come up with something if there is a provisional patent (Patent Pending) or a patent on something by that person. just saying i wouldn't give up on your idea until you know for sure.

There are some patents by cabelas, and various others for camouflage related material and attachment ideas. An exhaustive search including the full name and middle initial of the inventor would be the best bet. Finding that middle initial is the trick.