• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft New Ghillie *Pics up*- criticize it please

_Shay_

thing 2
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2009
USA
Well, My ghilie is done... maybe. I'm thinking of putting some more just on, it was kinda thin after the mud bath and for some reason, I hate bare spots on my ghillie... Well, what are your guys's opinions?

DSCI0310.jpg

DSCI0309.jpg

DSCI0309.jpg

Right after the mud bath.

DSCI0303.jpg

Pre- swim

DSCI0302.jpg

DSCI0299.jpg

Re: New Ghillie *Pics up*- criticize it please

Any help on getting veg to stay in place? I put it in and it falls out... gets me mad... maybe rubberbands? I'd like something that would last... tac con veg holders?

I would say it needs more green of a darker shad since right now it looks too uniform in color. It will appear as a uni-color blob from a distance.

You may consider canvas over the entire front of the legs as if you were actually crawling you would need it.

Also, it may be worth trying one solid piece of canvas on the front of the blouse so you dont have the split between sides of the chest and possibly rip off buttons. Just have to pull it on over your head with it already buttoned up.

Now go play in the mud and roll in the dirt more with it. All in all a really good job though Shay.

Yeah, some darker brown and green would help break up the pattern.

I guess it does need another mud bath, I must of washer it out too much yesterday, but it is a lot darker than it was. I'll fill in bare spots with darker browns and greens and a little bit more tan, and go swimming again.

When you guys give yours a mud bath, do you rinse it all out or leave the mud it?

Thanks
Shay

DSCI0320.jpg

Wow, after seeing this bigger than the camera screen, I am way too easy to find... I need more veg and another mud bath...

This is pathetic...

Shay, when you take pics of your ghillies, dont put the ghillie right in the center of the picture ... everyone expects it to be in the center of the shot. Take a pic with it on the edges and then ask people to see if they can find it.

More canvas/skid material on the thighs. Look at the areas of contact when you are low crawling and dragging, upper thighs, inner calf area, forearms etc. For attaching veg I just pull the guts out of paracord sheath, burn the ends and tie it on. As for color, remember it is always easier to go darker than it is to go lighter.

only thing i would add, is yes, more green. and yeah, a little more canvas on the legs, but that is an awesome ghillie. some minor adjustments and you are good to go. i think it came out great.

Paulus

I blame Rory for the picture...

I'll add a little more dark colors and get some hair ties or rubberbands to hold the veg in... and it needs another bath.

Well, I added more canvas to the legs, and it rained a lot today, so I think another mud bath is in order for tomorrow...

Then i should probably buy some hair scruntchies to hold in the veg... how many should I get? close to 50 or so?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any help on getting veg to stay in place? I put it in and it falls out... gets me mad... maybe rubberbands? I'd like something that would last... tac con veg holders? </div></div>

In Most cases I don't have issues getting my VAG to stay. I guess that comes with being well endowed but if you have issues maybe a little more Foreplay will help you out...

Just kidding...

Twist Ties, Rubber bands, Baling Twine work best for me...

yeah, I'll get some hair ties for it.

Something to think about.....no matter how you make it....when you go to use it....enhance it with natural area vegetation. I've never seen a perfect ghillie that you could use in all environments and not be seen without a little local help.

yeah, I didn't have near enough veg in at picture time, I should get more today though.

Well, here are some more pics.
DSCI0373.jpg

DSCI0371.jpg

DSCI0369.jpg

DSCI0366.jpg

I need to get some of it blending here pretty soon

Man Shay,

Your Ghillie's are looking better with every new one you put together!

Nice work,

-Pat

is that 100% jute? just with different colors?

Thats not my personal preference. Dont get me wrong! the craftsmanship looks great, but alas, the "danglers" looks suspect.

I like to use about 25% stalk grass in terrain suiting colors, 15% bristle weed in proper colors, 10% jute just to fill in areas and break up others, and the rest with as much natural as it takes. All in all, its roughly 90% natural.

I'm pretty much using jute as filler and natural veg for the rest.

You look like chewbacca. Remember the stuff put on a ghillie is only to help break up the human shape. Thin out your jute and replace it with natural foliage from the area your operating in.
If you havent done it now sew in some foliage bands into your suit. Looks like it just needs a little tweaking but the craftsmanship is really good.

Nice ghillie Shay, keep up the good work.

It thinned out more after another mud bath. There are a whole bunch of rubber bands in the suit.

use it enough at all jute will lose its died color. Sniper instructors always say you can always go darker with natural veg but its hard to go lighter. I think its looks pretty decent. Dont focus too hard on the jute coverage.

"Natural Veg is the edge, men" Favorite quote of sniper instructor friend of mine. Its true too, perfect your selection, implementation and attachment methods of natural veg. I use bungee hair ties at wall mart, the brown kind. You can buy 10 packs of them for like 5 bucks. Buy 30 dollars worth, cut them on the mold mark and loop them into your suit, then tie in the veg as you see fit. I say veg loops every 4 square inches, more on the Boonie.

I would spray down the front of the suit though to take the shine off the canvas. It will give you better freedom of movement to the ORP.

There is actually a lot less jute on the suit than it looks like. There are quite a few bare spots. I've trimmed quite a bit off of the shoulders and boonie, there was just too much on there for my liking. I think what's next is trimming the jute so it is about 4" shorter.

Is that a Glock Mag half buried next to your suit?

Nope, it was a piece of plastic I found in the yard so I grabbed it and set it there so I wouldn't forget to throw it away. Dad doesn't like having random stuff in his yard.

Few more pics

DSCI0374.jpg

DSCI0381.jpg

Easy to find, I found a shadow that doesn't belong...