• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"New" Giraud Trimmer

Walt K

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2008
Clinton Twp. MI
Check out the new Giraud trimmer. It is caliber specific but it trims to length and chamfers inside and out. Can be secured in a drill motor or drill press or as he states anything that goes round and round. I think it uses the same carbide cutter as the table top unit. It is adjustable for length and chamfer angle. Info is on his website. Costs $90.00. Very interesting.

It's about time someone put a cover on the trimmer housing, so brass doesn't fly everywhere! To bad I own the bench top version, I'd like to try this out.

JW ,

If you didn't have the tabletop do you think you would pick this over your current setup? I've only got 200pcs of 308 but I plan on getting up to about 500 by year end.

JW ,

If you didn't have the tabletop do you think you would pick this over your current setup? I've only got 200pcs of 308 but I plan on getting up to about 500 by year end.

I do a lot of brass prep, so I probably wouldn't pick the new version over the bench top one for two reasons.
1. I don't have to burn up all my drill batteries (I don't have a drill press)
2. The bench top version is so damn accurate!

I might still pick one up for caibers that I don't load often, just to try it out :D

I wonder if there's going to be a 3 month wait on these too. It kind of bothers me that he's coming out with new products when he can't deliver what he already builds in a timely manner.

I wonder if there's going to be a 3 month wait on these too. It kind of bothers me that he's coming out with new products when he can't deliver what he already builds in a timely manner.

Actually, the current wait times are better right now. I ordered a desktop version on Monday, and I was told it would take 1 month. They even gave me the date. :D

Ordered 08/11
Estimated Ship Date: 09/11

Last edited:

It's his business, he's free to run it as he sees fit. If waiting for a product bothers you then you are free to shop elsewhere, that's how Capitalism works. It bothers me when people complain about someone else's business. His products are in demand and there's a wait, if every American business did the same this country would be in much better shape. I guess GAP with their ten month wait on Gap10s are doing it wrong too, and Manners with their 3-6 months on premium stocks. If you want it faster buy something cheaper that doesn't last or work properly, if you want quality gear sometimes you need some patience.

Nope, these take just a few minutes to assemble, set and package; less time than caliber conversion kits really. With this week's shipments, I will be down to the 40 day range from machine order to shipment, from the 90+ I have been at since before Obama's re-election and the Sandy Hook debacle. Seems most firearms, ammo, and accessory manufacturers are getting caught up now. I have had this design sitting on the shelf for almost six months waiting to get the backlog under control before introducing it. More new stuff coming as well.

Doug Giraud

I broke down and bought the original Giraud Trimmer...I don't know why i waited so long...i trimmed 300 cases in 15min:36secs...that's how God intended case trimming to be done.

Great Product Doug!

Ordered Friday, arrived wednesday. Great product. Smart design and quality manufacturing.

Bjay: one $90 tri-way will do 308, 7-08, 243, 260.

I have been using the forster trimmer, it's $100 for the trimmer then $86 for a 3-in-1 head for each caliber: that's $360 to do 308, 708 and 243. Or $90 with the Giraud.

The sample case was 7 thou short (1.998) but length adjustment is as easy as it gets. Very smart design on that so I got dialed in fast. It indexes off the shoulder so you will see case length variances if you have hs variances. Forster indexes off the base of the case, but it's more difficult to adjust and over time it can get out of calibration if the trimmer head is getting knocked.

Once you set the case length, setting the chamfer is slightly more difficult to get right where you want it, but no harder than the forster.

after setup, running the giraud is fast and easy, this is a brilliant product and a great value.

I do have a couple suggestions...If you're running a 4th axis anyway, you could engrave the brand/model info etc on the body. The sticker looks good but the clear guard is so tight (that's good) it already started peeling the sticker off. You could also engrave a direction arrow on the body to make sure they don't accidentally run it backwards...Just an idea since it's just another op or two in the fixture. Maybe an extra minute of run time? It would be cool if the cutter blade was on a threaded shaft so you could fine adjust it back and forth but not sure how to do that.

Again, I'm very pleased with my new tri-way and I'm excited to finally own a Giraud! Thanks for making an affordable and very useful product! Oh and my girl says whoever took the order (wife?) was great, very nice and easy to deal with. Thanks

Last edited:
Did you guys notice in the manual:

The trimmer comes complete in one size. A sample full length resized case is included with the tool to identify the size it is setup for and to show the expected
finished product, if used properly. Attempting to process fired or neck sized
cases will most likely yield less than acceptable results. This tool is intended for
use with full length resized cartridge cases.

I don't full length size until the bolt starts to stick, and I tend to trim every time I neck size so I'm not sure this is really going to be useful for me. Is the fullsize trimmer also limited in this respect?

Did you guys notice in the manual:

I don't full length size until the bolt starts to stick, and I tend to trim every time I neck size so I'm not sure this is really going to be useful for me. Is the fullsize trimmer also limited in this respect?

Correct me if I'm wrong please. I see these variables:
Concentricity, shouldn't be a problem with neck sized?
Shoulder to case mouth, this is probably the main issue and the reason they recommend fls. Indexing off the shoulder for trimming means you're going to get consistent results in terms of datum to mouth with trimmed cases, but base to datum variances will be passed on to your case length. I don't think there's any other reason you can't use ns. If you're confident that your hs is consistent you can just adjust the trimmer to suit

The reason you may not be able to use neck sized case is that they are by definition oversize and may not fit in the case holder without interference. Yes, the same thing happens on the bigger powered trimmer, but I modify case holders to fit as needed for that trimmer. Not a service I want to offer for a budget unit at this time. Solution, trim after you full length resize. Neck sized usually don't grow enough to warrant trimming every firing.

Doug Giraud

The reason you may not be able to use neck sized case is that they are by definition oversize and may not fit in the case holder without interference. Yes, the same thing happens on the bigger powered trimmer, but I modify case holders to fit as needed for that trimmer. Not a service I want to offer for a budget unit at this time. Solution, trim after you full length resize. Neck sized usually don't grow enough to warrant trimming every firing.

Doug Giraud

Thanks for the reply Doug, in speaking with a few people I've determined I'm just adding needless steps to my process by trimming every time. I'll be ordering a trimmer momentarily and hopefully saving a bunch of time next time I need to full length resize.

Mr. Girauds tabletop trimmer is outstanding. I have had mine for years. I process a lot of brass, I think that 3,000 pieces of 308 brass is a lot. I full-length size and trim all rifle brass I shoot.

I have two suggestions:

Create a way to adjust the cutter with a fine screw to get the chamfer good both in and outside. The set screw and push-it-around-until-you-get-it-right method is not ideal.

Create a longer caseholder and let me put a big hex nut on it that I can lock into place with a set screw and tighten with a wrench. If I had this, I could switch between 308 and 300WM really fast instead of taking five or ten minutes to get the depth right.

Mr. Girauds tabletop trimmer is outstanding. I have had mine for years. I process a lot of brass, I think that 3,000 pieces of 308 brass is a lot. I full-length size and trim all rifle brass I shoot.

I have two suggestions:

Create a way to adjust the cutter with a fine screw to get the chamfer good both in and outside. The set screw and push-it-around-until-you-get-it-right method is not ideal.

Create a longer caseholder and let me put a big hex nut on it that I can lock into place with a set screw and tighten with a wrench. If I had this, I could switch between 308 and 300WM really fast instead of taking five or ten minutes to get the depth right.

Bax,

Agree with you on #1. #2, I think the new tri-way resolves this unless I misunderstood your point. It is extremely easy to adjust depth quickly and precisely, then lock it down. Pretty elegant design.

Bax,

Adding cost to every cutter head I sell, raising the price significantly, isn't going to be popular. I hear enough that everything is too expensive. Especially when you can get extra heads and leave them set for specific diameters, a once and done thing. Penalizing all customers for a once a decade adjustment isn't practical.

Making the case holder longer isn't practical either, that would eliminate about a third of the cartridge choices because the case wouldn't leave enough to hold on to. I think if you look a little closer, you can see that a regular locking die ring fits just fine on the existing case holders and make the changes easier with the parts just the way they are.

Doug Giraud

Wallnutt,

Nope, the cartridge choices for the Tri Way were chosen for the customer base the product was intended to serve. Those are the six most popular cartridge choices I have sold for the past 5 year and represents a huge portion of my sales. Those and 130+ other sizes are also served by my existing powered case trimmer. I know I will never satisfy everyone with these choices, but it lets me reach more new customers without impacting existing sales and customers.

Doug Giraud

I can not really understand your problem, I do not shoot a 300 wm, closest would be the 7 RM but this needs another cutter head so no good comparsion. But changing between a 308 and 30-06 fx is done in no time.
Have you tried using a coross bolt lock ring with wrench flats?
Set it at the correct length, lock it and torque it with a torque limiter every time to get consistency?
Alternatively get another cutter head to preset that too if needed.

As for the adjustment of the tri way cutter, it comes nicely adjusted already with the cutter head, pre configured for each caliber you specify, buy a case holder and cutter head for every cartidge you use and you will not have anything more to complain about.

A case holder for 30$ is about the same for a trim chamber for any of the popular trimmers for drill chucks (WFT, Trim it, CTS etc)
The cutter head is for your convenience if you do not want to adjust one for every different type of cartidge that needs adjustment, then buy one and be rid of the problem, it is really that simple.
Other trimmer will also need adjustment to the cutter so the point is moot really.

Your pretty much complaining about a non existent problem, only thing needed is a bit of creativity.

Have 2 of Dougs power trimmers and they are the best case trimming tool ever designed, will not even consider any other options.
Also you have more choice of cartidges both wildcats and standard then any trimmer i know of will accomondate without mods.

And for anyone complaining about price take a look at the cost of components, the design and the time it takes to make one complete unit, along with being dependent on sub suppliers for Motors etc.
He also has great CS and stand by his products, witch this thread should pretty much prove.

My only gripe about Dougs products is not being able to get one of his annealers, but that's not his fault.

Keep up the good work, and bring us more quality products as you already do.

Last edited:
Mr. Giraud,

Thanks for the reply. I had about 250 cases to trim today and I had a spare Redding knurled lock ring. I spun it onto the case holder, set the depth, and it worked perfectly! The next time I need to trim .308, all I have to do is spin it into the cutter body - maybe 10 seconds.

I just ordered 2 more rings from Brownells, one for 300 WM and the other for 5.56.

I only trim .308 and 5.56 with your trimmer. I may go ahead and order a second cutter head, set it for .223 and I can skip the whole adjustment process.

Last edited:
Got my second Tri-Way Cutter a few days ago, this one is in 223. Finally got out to use it today. Busted thru a few hundred cases in no time. Damn these things are SLICK! The finished cut is really nice and clean. The adjustment is simple, I cranked mine in about .005 and done. My only complaint, not even a complaint really.. but, I can't feel my thumb and index finger!! 223 is a little harder to hold onto than 300wm… I know… Wahhh… My pussy hurts.. Anyway. Thanks again Doug, these cutters ROCK. Anyone still on the fence about getting one, get over it and freakin order one (or two)

Tim

I'd rather that than seeing out of stock all the time then a buying frenzy till the next out of stock notice goes up.
This is the world of firearms and reloading. Tell me when was the last time you could find everything you want when you wanted it?
I've been waiting since January for a Noveske 16.7" handguard.
When I called in April I was told 4 more weeks, when I called back in July I was told 4 more weeks.

Got my second Tri-Way Cutter a few days ago, this one is in 223. Finally got out to use it today. Busted thru a few hundred cases in no time. Damn these things are SLICK! The finished cut is really nice and clean. The adjustment is simple, I cranked mine in about .005 and done. My only complaint, not even a complaint really.. but, I can't feel my thumb and index finger!! 223 is a little harder to hold onto than 300wm… I know… Wahhh… My pussy hurts.. Anyway. Thanks again Doug, these cutters ROCK. Anyone still on the fence about getting one, get over it and freakin order one (or two)

Tim

+1 on the temporary nerve damage :) Tim not sure if you're using one but a nitrile-coated work glove helped a lot with holding the cases. And my fingers are back to normal a day or two later.

Tim

Get brass grippers: Brass Grippers