• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns New Glock 19 Gen 4 Range Report

jwsnydes

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
South Dakota
www.snipershide.com
Over the last few weeks, I've been doing research on my next purchase, a Glock 19. For a number of reasons, I've decided to give it an opportunity to be my CCW gun. When I took to the internet to do my homework, I was confronted with a ton of bad press on the new 4th gens. Most were stove pipes, FTF and erratic ejection patterns.

My personal opinion on anything that I read on the internet is that, for every one post about something not working, there are 1,000 happy people, who aren't taking to the forums to report their experiences. Then I stumbled onto the Glock voluntary recall on RSAs. It turns out that they put a .40 RSA (stamped 0-3) into the first batches of Gen 4 G19s. Also people were reporting that the extractor might be to blame for their problems, as Glock now uses MiM extractors.

Despite all of this, my local store told me that if I wanted to shoot it after I bought it, and it didn't preform correctly, they would take it back inside of 60 days. So I bought one.

Mine was built and test fired in mid February 2012 at the Glock factory, and it has the updated recoil spring assembly stamped 0-4-3. It came with 3 15 round magazines, multiple different sized back-straps and (the selling point for me) the ability to flip the magazine release button to the right side of the firearm (lefty).

So I went to the range, loaded all 3 mags with Winchester 115gr target load (what people said that they were having issues with) and let them fly. The recoil was much tamer than a previous Glock I had owned,and it fed everything without issue. Same for the next 100+ rounds I shot after that, and the 147gr PDX1s I carry also had no issues. It grouped very well and the mags dropped cleanly.

As a lefty, I had no brass hit me in the face. I was doing some moving and shooting, so I can't comment on the ejection pattern, but if it isn't hitting me, I don't care where it actually rolls to a stop.

Looks like Glock worked through the early kinks. Buy with confidence guys.

30946901.jpg

Re: New Glock 19 Gen 4 Range Report

The problems get inflated due to the internet. Every person I talk to about my Gen 4 19 is "oh my gosh, that thing must have given you all kinds of problems"......my answer "nope not a single problem in about 12000 rounds", but the internet said they were having all kinds of problems.

I have read a theory as to why Glock had the problems that they did, and if I can find that post I will link it. I believe it to be almost the case.

i had a gen 4 glock loved it but i could not hit nothing with it, just cant run it, but it is a fine fine product. I shot probably 500-700 through mine, my wife shot 5 through hers lol, i just couldn't get use to the grip angle. she is a weird woman she couldn't hit the target she picked up her M9 and stayed with it, only if i would have known that before lol lol.

what im getting at is i have friends with the gen 4's and all of them to my knowledge have had no problems with them and they are LEO's and shoot way more than i did with theirs. Fine fine gun, Ill stay with the 1911 or the M9 though.

Just picked up a Gen 4 21, it's my first handgun and it feels very natural to shoot. I've yet to shoot a 1911 yet, but i have held one and it wasn't as comfortable to me, though the grips were to big for my tiny hands and there was no front or back strap checkering. Where as the glock has the grip all around.

It's nice to see more reports of Gen4 9mm's coming flawless from the factory. I am considering getting a 19 in the next few weeks.

yeah this is good news. I've heard very few reports of the Gen 4 running strong. I'm still sticking with the Gen 3 for awhile just cause I have boxes of parts for them. Will the Gen 4 work with Gen 3 holsters?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Munson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Will the Gen 4 work with Gen 3 holsters?</div></div>

Yes

gen 1-4 will work in same holsters to my knowledge on any model

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gen 1-4 will work in same holsters to my knowledge on any model </div></div>

Not the case. SOME holsters I believe its the Comptac will not work with the Gen 4 34/35 because the dust cover is made differently. But thats the only case I have see that a holster would not work, and it is clearly on their site that it wont work.

I CCW'd the gun today, it was surprisingly easy to conceal. I sure do like having 15+1 on me instead of the 8+1.

FYI the gen 4 mags are backwards compatible, and will work in gen 3 guns.

The gen 3 mags also still work in the gen 4 guns, as long as you haven't flipped the mag release button to the left handed configuration.

What's the easiest way to tell between a Gen 3 and 4? I just picked up a Glock 23 with that stippling on the grips. It didn't come with any backstraps or anything. I assume it's Gen 4, but not sure.

If its a gen 4, it will say "Gen4" on the left side of the slide near the model number. Also, it will say "MBS" on the right side of the frame in front of the trigger guard. See pic below for an example of the "Gen4" rollmark behind the model number.

mhxclk.jpg

Thanks for the report JW.

I have been looking at them for a couple weeks, but the the only one in town is a gen 3 mod 19 with one mag that is 6fuckinghundred59 dollars, and not wearing night sights!!

So with that being said, I am looking for the best deal online to have shipped to my FFL. Any ideas?

I have found $549 with free shipping on Gunbroker. So far thats the best I have found with three mags, but will keep searching.

I want one.

My gen4 17 runs great, only one stove pipe after 1300+ rounds of 115 and mixed carry loads.

There is still nothing better than my old gen3 19 with over 4k rounds through it there is just something about it that makes it my favorite im sure if its a gen4 19 it would be the same.

Drifter-I sent you a pm on a lead for a G19 gen4.

I have had 4 Glock 19s over the years. I use them to teach new shooters, whenever I teach someone they end up buying it from me. The next one Im keeping.

I went out for round two. I shot 100+ rounds of UMC 115gr, no problems at all.

The real test was when I gave the Glock to my friend (100lb girl) who continually got stove pipes out of a Beretta PX4 compact, that I shot fine, with no stovepipes.

She also shot the Glock with no issues.

This did allow me to view the ejection pattern. I noticed that the brass only arced back a few feet instead of the few yards that I had expected. It seemed fairly consistent in it's pattern.

Perfect sized for ccw, great capacity and weight. One of my favorite guns.

Another hundred rounds, no issues.

I did start to really get a hold of the Glock trigger reset this go around, and shot some really good groups.

I wouldn't mind improving the pull a little bit, so I ordered a Ghost Tactical 5.0 Setup Kit, it should be here in a few days. I'm hoping for good things from it.

That is good news.

I just dropped the hammer on a Gen 4 19 last night, its in the mail. I was torn between the 19 and the 23, but ammo prices in town made that an easy choice.

Now I am shopping some night sights, I definitely need to upgrade those.

Glad to hear its running smoothly.

I was nervous about buying mine before reading this review...but I'm going to order my gen 4 model 35 today! Thanks for the review-keep us posted!

i love my gen 3 G19 and my wife has been bugging me to get her a G19. if you have no backstraps on is the grip size about the same as the gen 3? I have never liked the idea of having a piece on the grip that could break or fail.

I was really thinking of getting the G19, but decided to do a G23 instead. I bought the LEO model Gen 4, which I have yet to breakin (just got it yesterday). Thanks for your review as I'm sure the G23g4 will perform just like your g19...

I bought the Gen 4 19 and put just over 200 rounds through it but i am having a problem with extracting cases straight up or back and hitting me in the face chest. not such a big deal when at the range with glasses on . but if/when i use this for CC i dang sure wouldn't want to be getting hit in the face while i am defending my family or myself. Should i talk to Glock about this or send it to a smith ?

Those symptoms are pretty common for the gen4's. I'd send it back to glock on their dime to fix the problem.

Don't take this wrong, but...

If a loser can shoot a Congresswoman in the head at close range and she sees another day in Congress, well... that's not the caliber I would want to use to stop a giant Pacific Islander invading my home.

.45 ACP or 10mm and NO less.

The fifteen-round mags scream firefight. If I'm confronted in a DLP, concealed-carry scenario there won't be no firefight.

In my not-so-humble opinion, 9mm just does not get 'er done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't take this wrong, but...

If a loser can shoot a Congresswoman in the head at close range and she sees another day in Congress, well... that's not the caliber I would want to use to stop a giant Pacific Islander invading my home.

The fifteen-round mags scream firefight. If I'm confronted in a DLP, concealed-carry scenario there won't be no firefight.

In my not-so-humble opinion, 9mm just does not get 'er done. </div></div>

This is ignorant^^

She was shot by an FMJ. There is a high likelyhood the outcome would have been the same with a 45 fmj.

Quality, defensive ammo designed to transfer its energy would have changed things.

Another point, is that NO pistol really "gets it done". That is what rifles are for.

Yes sir,

For a CCW you have much better ammo choices than ball. I posted this a week ago in another thread, but with quality ammo and high capacity Im comfortable with a 9mm.
handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

Love my 19gen4. My wife shoots a gen2 19, but I'm thinking we need to get her a gen 4 as well. I recently switched from 1911 ccw to the 19 and I'm happy with the change.

I have several glocks, the only time I have issues was when it was new (before the recoil spring update). As it stands with my personal glocks I have only had 2 failures and one of them was a light strike when I was testing new components (I was using a 4 lb striker spring which is to light for reliable ignition). (playing around with them to make them better for competition sometimes makes them less reliable). I have however seen other peoples glocks be screwed up (poor maintenance, being dumb asses and running pressures higher than sammi spec). The ejection leaves a little to be desired/ lowering the ejection port can be helpful. (example, my 1911's and my Ar's put spent cases in a 5 gal bucket when timed and sprung correctly)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't take this wrong, but...

This is ignorant^^

She was shot by an FMJ. There is a high likelyhood the outcome would have been the same with a 45 fmj.

Quality, defensive ammo designed to transfer its energy would have changed things.

Another point, is that NO pistol really "gets it done". That is what rifles are for. </div></div>

This is ridiculous ^^^^^

One thing I am NOT is ignorant of the NON-stopping ability of a 9mm Auto. That's well-documented.

I don't usually carry a rifle around town on my belt.

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't take this wrong, but...

This is ignorant^^

Another point, is that NO pistol really "gets it done". That is what rifles are for. </div></div>

This is ridiculous ^^^^^

One thing I am NOT is ignorant of the NON-stopping ability of a 9mm Auto. That's well-documented.

I don't usually carry a rifle around town on my belt.

Cheers

</div></div>

Since the OP did not ask for a caliber debate, why even speak? You added nothing to this conversation other than to turn another thread into a caliber debate that nobody will ever agree on. If you can tell the difference between being shot with a 9 or a 45, I will shit you Tiffany cuff links... Good day sir

You're absolutely right. My apologies to the Original Poster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're absolutely right. My apologies to the Original Poster. </div></div>

Class

Love my Gen4, hope you like yours.

Just another update. I put another 100 rounds through, no issues. I've tried all kinds of range and SD ammo. No issues.

I put in a Ghost tactical connector and have it set up to still be 5 lb trigger. Man I am shooting this thing great now!

I convinced a friend to pick up a Gen 4 19. He has the current RSA that I also have. No issues on his gun either.

Same here. I found a gen 4 19 and have only had one quick trip to the range with it, 250 through it without a hiccup.

Mine was a fresh one, test fire date was 2/17/12, picked it up on 3/17/12. Only the test date it can be much older, who knows. Thought that was cool tho.

Definitely liking the gen 4 grip. Thanks for the review.

Well, wife just got an upgrade from a 19 Gen2 to a 19 Gen4 today. She hasn't shot it yet, but she's excited about it.

I also have the Gen 4 G19 and it has been trouble free thus far. I have both the original spring and the updated one. I've had no issues with either. Thus far, I want to upgrade to some Heinie Ledge sights and eventually add an X400, other than that, I don't think there's much I'd rather have for it.