• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Gradous gunsmith class build, pic heavy

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
I heard about Robert Gradous' gunsmithing classes last year and immediately put it at the top of my bucket list. About three months ago I was sitting in Afghanistan thinking of what kind of trip I'd take to when I got home and figured that taking a class from Robert would be just the thing. Robert and I talked about the build over the phone. I researched various aspects of the build here on the Hide and was able to order damn near everything I needed online (thanks to US Optics, Mile High Shooting, 3rd Generation Shooters Supply, and Stocky's).

After getting the parts together, Robert and I settled on four days to work together in October, and frankly I'm surprised we were able to find 4 consecutive days that both of our schedules allowed us to build this gun: a 7wsm on a surgeon action with a 22" barrel. I wanted a hybrid rifle that was light enough to take hunting, but accurate and meaty enough for tactical comps.

Here are the components, each of which I'll review in another post, with an asterisk denoting Robert's recommendation:

1. Surgeon 591R WSM action*
2. Krieger SS 1:9" standard palma 22" barrel* (31" blank)
3. Manners T2 FDE stock with Mini-chassis
4. Jewell trigger*
5. Alpha Industries WSM mags
6. Atlas bipod w/ rail
7. US Optics 3.2-17x mil/mil with H25 illum reticle, very low rings
8. Badger Ordnance thruster brake*

First, my disclaimer: I have never built a rifle, never taken any kind of gunsmithing class, or ever worked on a lathe. The extent of my gunsmithing knowledge has come from trial and error working on my ARs and pistols, but with my bolt rifles, I always send them to a smith.

I flew out of Washington-Dulles early Tuesday morning to head to Robert's shop. As my luck (or lack thereof) would have it, the second half of my itinerary down to Georgia got cancelled when I arrived in Charlotte. US Airways can kiss my ass for that. But, as I was standing in line to get another flight (getting bumped from a 11am flight to a 4pm flight!), I saw a guy with an ACU pattern backpack who was going the same direction as me. Come to find out he just retired from the Army and was going the same direction as me. I got out of the Army last year and figured hell, I might as well have some company on the road. I rented a car, invited him along, and picked up our baggage. The good news was that we arrived safely, the bad news was that I was almost a day behind on my build!

First thing Robert and I did was go over all the parts, all the details of the build to make sure we had everything that we needed. Next, Robert showed me how to make all the necessary measurements on the Surgeon action. Finally we set up the Krieger SS 1:9" twist standard palma barrel in the lathe, making sure that the barrel was as centered on the bore as humanly possible. By now, the day was done and it was time to turn in. Robert drove me down to the cabin and I got to smoke a cigar and read a bit before bed. Work started early the next day.

The next day at 7am Robert and I were back at it. He showed me how to work the lathe and off we went squaring the shoulder, getting the barrel threaded for the 591R action and chambered.
2rostg8.jpg

2w4fs79.jpg

21smr.jpg

That took the majority of the day since I was getting used to the lathe. Had Robert done the majority of the cutting, it wouldn't have taken half the time. But, one of the major goals of the class was for me to do as much of the hands on work so that I learn how to build a rifle. I was pretty slow on the lathe, but my cuts were good and I didn't break anything. Mission accomplished there.

On day 2, we had to thread the barrel and crown it, and put on a removable Badger Thruster break. We'd contour the break down to look like it was a part of the barrel. If we had time, we'd make sure everything fit properly into the Manners T2 stock.
2lwp4dw.jpg

2rop15k.jpg

Once we got the barrel take care of, I sandblasted all the parts to Duracoat them in a dark gray matte finish. I wanted the rifle to have a unique look and blend well with both the stock and US Optics scope that would be sitting on it. For me, the painting part was the toughest because I didn't have much experience with it and I kept getting too much paint on parts which led to runs. Robert was enormously patient with me and showed me how to get an even layer without piling on the paint.

With all the necessary parts together, all that was left was to install the Jewell trigger, mount the scope, and work up a solid hunting load for some Virginia deer hunting next month.

On day 3 I woke up to a picture perfect Georgia morning at the cabin.
207p361.jpg

nygoys.jpg

I didn't enjoy the view for too long because we still had a rifle to finish. The Jewell trigger dropped into the Surgeon action very well. Only minor cutting was required to keep the trigger from rubbing inside the action. The Atlas rail attached after a bit of work on the stock. We used Robert's Nightforce for the initial load workup before we put mounted my USO.

Here is the finished product:
148hqpe.jpg

Robert's got the best reloading room I've ever seen, with the shooting bench facing out the window on his 100 yard range. After seeing the 168 hunting VLDs drilling excellent holes, we moved up to the 180 hunting VLDs that I want to use for my whitetail hunt next month. We started at 66 grains of Retumbo and worked all the way up to 69.8 grains. That gave us these results, and I was pleased as could be.
1zclbeo.jpg

Had we more time, I'm sure we could have dialed that group in even more, but the sun was setting and I was happy as hell to have a rifle that was light enough to hunt with, accurate enough to compete with, and without toting around a 28" barrel.

As if building that rifle and spending the week with Robert weren't enough (they were!), I treated myself to a nice relaxing Georgia evening.
2115lqq.jpg

The gunsmithing class was a resounding success for me. I learned more in 4 days with Robert than in all previous experiences working on my own guns. He helped me build a great rifle that even without extensive load development is already shooting better than any magnum rifle I own. I'm certain that I've only begun to see how well that rifle will shoot. The best part though was working with a true expert in rifle building. Robert's passion for the art of rifle building never ceased to amaze me, and his dedication to his customers was incredible. I'll certainly be going back to him.

Re: New Gradous gunsmith class build, pic heavy

Nice write up and nice rifle, This is one of the classes on my To do list as well.

Sounds like you realy enjoyed it. I have been thinking about going to Gordy Gritter's classes that he offers and getting into building my own guns. I am hesitant to do so since I've never used a lathe or mill.

I can understand your concerns. For me, it's all about the teacher. It was the first time I'd ever laid eyes on a lathe, let alone worked with one, but Robert guided me through the whole process, had me practice until I was comfortable, and watched over my shoulder constantly at first, and later whenever we were doing something a little more hairy. By the end of the machining process, I was comfortable doing nearly all of the cutting.

There's no way you can do one class and become an expert. You can build a solid foundation of knowledge of what makes rifles accurate, and why precision measurements and careful, fastidious craftsmanship turn out the best rifles. You truly come to appreciate the art of rifle building.

I just checked out his website and that is very reasonable compared to other classes I have looked into. I'm going to have to quit reading on this site, it's costing me a fortune lol.

I just met Robert yesterday at a competition down here. What a cool guy and one hell of a nice guy as well. I'd love to do one of these classes if I ever had the time and/or money. Congrats on the build and the experience!

Great write up. Truly sounds like an amazing experience. Beautiful rifle, I'm sure it will fill the roles you built it for.

Also, thanks for your service.

Damn, now there's Bud, Cigars and a relaxing evening by the Bayou at the end. I'm enrolling in that class now
wink.gif

Nice rifle.

I've drooled over many of your builds, Roscoe. "Nice rifle" coming from you is high praise indeed. Much appreciated.

Great looking rifle and write up.

I have been telling everyone since I got back from Roberts "If you love guns and shooting it just does not get any better than this!" Take the time and money and just do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've drooled over many of your builds, Roscoe. "Nice rifle" coming from you is high praise indeed. Much appreciated. </div></div>

Thanks for the kind words. I'd like to say there's black magic and voodoo involved in all my builds but now you know the truth, there really isnt.

Welcome to the club.

Excellent job and nice build. That was a great write up with very nice photos. Thank you very much for sharing. Now let's see that buck.

Another Gradous lodge pic... pond is loaded with 5-6lb bass! Nice rifle & write up ZL, congrats.

002.jpg

That's a great pic of the cabin. I saw deer there damn near every day. Seriously, if I lived close to Robert, I'd head over to that cabin every time Panty6 got pissed at me!

Thank you for sharing! Sounds like an amazing time. I'm currently shooting and competing with a rifle I re-barreled myself and it is satisfying when you do well in a match.

That's just about the coolest thing ever!! I would so love to do that!! Shop, rifle, cabin, range and Robert, does it get any better??

Gradous build w/ parts review

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Review of build parts:</span>
</span>

1. Surgeon 591R WSM action* - This is my first Surgeon action. I've got a blueprinted Rem700, a Badger, and now this Surgeon. It's by far the smoothest action I have, and I love the integral rail and recoil lug. That certainly made the task of building the rifle a bit more straightforward. I wish I had gotten the tactical bolt handle, but I hadn't even thought about it. Outside of that, I'm incredibly pleased with the quality of the action.

2. Krieger SS 1:9" standard palma 22" barrel* (31" blank) - I really can't say enough about this barrel. We worked up loads for both the 168 VLDs and the 180s, and the Krieger barrel did a hell of a job keeping ALL of the groups reasonably tight. You could see the various harmonic nodes as we increased the powder charges, but the Krieger didn't shoot any of the loads poorly. It's my first Krieger, but won't be my last.

3. Manners T2 FDE stock with Mini-chassis - This stock is excellent. Once again, it's the first Manners I've owned. It was worth every penny. The stock required only minor adjustments to fit the Atlas rail and ensure the barrel was completely free floating. The mini-chassis is an excellent design. Not having to bed the rifle is great, and the ease of switching out barrels is an advantage I'm happy to have. My single gripe is that the two front studs were not centered in the stock, which meant that the Atlas rail we put on is a bit canted. This won't have any practical impact on performance because the bipod itself is highly adjustable. Still, we'd all rather have sling studs in line with the center of the stock, right?

4. Jewell trigger* - I own tuned Remington triggers, Huber 2 stage, and now this Jewell. It's like and crisp, but I really have to be mindful of my trigger pull mechanics or else I pull the shots. Very good trigger, very different from my Huber, but something I need to dryfire much more to really take full advantage of.

5. Alpha Industries WSM mags - These are leaps and bounds better than the factory mag that came with the T2 stock. They give me much more room to seat the long pills out farther in the magazine. My only grips is that the one I have has a slight burr on the lip of the mag that dinged up brass a bit. We deburred the mag manually and I haven't seen the problem since.

6. Atlas bipod w/ rail - Great bipod. I don't think I can go back to Harris bipods after this.

7. US Optics 3.2-17x mil/mil with H25 illum reticle, very low rings - I wanted to mount this scope low so that I'd get a proper cheek weld on the T2. The stock, scope, and rings ended up the perfect combo to allow for proper cheek weld without needing an adjustable stock (or the added weight that came with it). It was a gamble because this combo may not have worked out.
The scope itself is fantastic. The glass is as good as the PH 3-15 I have, and the Horus 25 reticle is easy to use. I'm anxious to get it on an UKD course and see how fast I can get follow-ups with it.

8. Badger Ordnance thruster brake* - I've never been a big muzzle brake guy, but I figured that this rifle will get enough use to necessitate one. I honestly can't believe how little the 7wsm recoils with this break. It's less than my 15lb 308. Granted, the blast is substantial, but it's nice to put a good number of rounds through the rifle without worrying about recoil.

Overall, I learned a valuable lesson. The better parts you use, the more likely you are to get a good shooting rifle. Better parts don't guarantee something like that (there are no guarantees in life except death, right?), but for all the time, attention, and love we put into these rigs, we should get as much enjoyment and return as possible. I hope this review is helpful for any of you considering the specs on a new build.

Outstanding write-up. Thanks for the review, and congrats on your new build.

I've a Gradous rifle that he had in inventory at the time (not a normal situation, I think he put it together from spare parts). Robert was a pleasure to deal with for sure. He will get my next build. I've never been to his shop but its not that far from me. I see a road trip this winter! (better save some money)

I'm taking the 7WSM deer hunting in the Shenandoahs next week. I'll post pics when I get back. Hopefully I'll fill my freezer!

Just got back from hunting deer in the Shenandoah Mountains. The rifle performed admirably in taking the two deer I got this year, though the stands I hunted in had very limited shooting lanes to stretch out the 7WSM's legs. I'll do that next year.

Here's a link to the write-up in the hunting section if you're wanting to see pics: Shenandoah hunting pics.

Curious what your setup weighs with everything? How about just the rifle? Thanks

The whole package weighs between 12-13lbs. It's not a featherweight rifle, that's for sure. It carries just fine, though I'm going to put in a flush cup on the left side for more comfortable sling carrying. Other than that, I couldn't be happier. I just got in the new Berger 7mm 180gr hybrid pills. Can't wait to work up a load on those beasts.

Check your inbox, Komifornian. I forwarded you some info to get you started.

12-13 ibs is not unreasonable for a dual purpose rifle. I have a 7mm WSM heavy rifle for prone shooting, but the barrel is too long and the setup is too heavy to pack for hunting. I'm planning a lighter build with similar components.

I'm struggling with what barrel contour, going back on forth on bull sporter vs. standard palma. What was the lighter contour that your gunsmith recommended for you?

Check out the Krieger website and compare the contours. I was going between a #5 and the standard palma. I actually went with a heavier contour but found a standard palma on a website (Bruno's maybe, or Bugholes). The Krieger site has some excellent information for planning your build, and their product is top notch. If you're going to do more hunting, I'd definitely go with a #5 or less, then flute it. I think Krieger's got a 3-month wait, but that's not too bad in this business.