• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New Grizzly G0670 Lathe

cordovan

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2009
New Mexico
Wanted to post some photos of the new Grizzly G0670 Lathe. This is a Taiwanese 16x40 manufactured by the Shun Chuan Manufacturing company. Good quality stuff!

Also wanted to say thanks to Shiraz for giving me good pricing on the lathe (as he has often done for other forum members). That was a really cool thing to do by a great guy. With the money I saved on the lathe, I was able to tool up with a nice Aloris toolpost and tool holders, a South Bend drill chuck and a PT&G reamer holder.

Here's a pick of the lathe after unloading and taking off the crate shell.

It came with a 3 jaw chuck installed, a 4 jaw chuck and a faceplate (packaged on the lathe pallet) and also a start-up toolbox with a few tools which can be seen in the photo above.

One of the big selling points for me on this lathe was being able to pick it up from the bottom by sliding the forklift forks underneath. I don't have high ceilings in my garage and being able to do this aided tremendously in being able to get it in place as opposed to having to rig it from the lathe bed. Here's a picture prior to leveling and taking the packing grease off.

One question I wasn't clear on is whether the outboard of the spindle was tapped for a spyder. I got different answers on this but was happily surprised to see that the one I received was. It could be a difference between new and old stock in the Grizzly warehouse as to whether this feature is being offered. I'm not sure.........

And finally here's the verdict of the starrett level.

Level in the X.....

Level in the Y.......

Slowly working my way through start-up of this nice quality machine. Letting it sit for a week to re-level then will run a test piece. After that, tackle the 15 or so projects I've had in mind over the last couple of years.

Great purchase! That was a front runner for me when I was shopping for a new lathe, but I ended up going a different route. Have fun and be safe!

Looks great! I'd be interested to hear what you think of it, once you've had some time on it. Did you go with DRO's?

I had wanted to go with the DRO, but when it came down to a choice between tooling and that I went with the tooling. Just wanted to be up and running as quick as possible.

That is really NICE! Im sure you will not be disappointed, I love my GRIZZLY and have done quite alot of stuff with it.

Best of luck with your new purchase. How do you like it since you have powered it up? I am thinking of purchasing the same machine. What type of Phase Converter did you go with?

I keep reading threads like this one and looking at the big empty space in the back of my garage, thinking thats about a perfect area for a lathe and a mill.

Congrats on your purchase. Thanks for helping me think of ways to spend more money.

Maybe. Place is crazy. Not so much in the waiting area, but at least 2 other dogs have come in for surgery.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Do you have three-phase power coming into your home? If not, how did you convert your single-phase for the three-phase that this lathe requires? (Did you buy the $3000 rotary phase converter recommend in the catalog?)
Did you buy directly from Grizzly at the retail catalog price, or were you able to find a lower price or qualify for a discount?
Did the seller arrange for the fork lift that was required to set the lathe in place?
Did the lathe come filled with all the oils and fluids required in the gearbox and other mechanisms, or did you have to buy that separately?
Finally, have there been any disappointments in the short time you've owned the lathe?
Thanks.

A roto phase is a simple task and it shouldn't cost you much more than 500 bucks. I found a 15HP 3 phase motor from the local power company, for free. I them bought an already wired conversion cabinet with start capacitors. The cabinet cost me 200$ there all over the internet. Then there is the wire. I think I had at least 100$ in heavy gauge wire. really simple to hook everything up.
Do yourself a favor and buy that DRO. I wont ever run another lathe without one. So much faster!!! I love your machine. I wish I had gone with that machine. Lee

Instead of looking at a phase converter, you may want to look at a variable frequency drive. I have one on my south bend lathe and it has been a blessing to use.

As far as I know most of the variable frequency drive lathes, except for a couple of Kent models, still require a phase converter because they operate on three-phase power but residential service is of the single phase variety. Can you provide the model number of your lathe? Anybody else have a single-phase variable frequency drive lathe?
Thanks.

Your two speed motor will complicate the VFD. I was told it would be very expensive to hook a VFD up to my g0509. I was told it would have to be completely rewired. a roto phase isn't a big deal. Only down side is the noise from the idler motor. Buy extra wire and put the idler motor as far away as you can. the start capacitors in the already made phase cabinets make starting the idler a synch. push a button and it goes!! Lee

The hydraulic pump on my lathe is louder than my 40hp rotary phase converter idler. One small enough to run this machine should be really quiet I would think.

I have a 15 horse American Rotary 15HP Digital Rotary Phase Converter that powers both my lathe and mill. It runs them at the same time pulling heavy cuts at the same time with no problem. I mounted the idler motor in the attic to keep it out of the dust but it does have a hum to it. I need to make a better isolated base than the hard rubber feet it's sitting on in the rafters. The control panel is right between the lathe and mill so just the touch of a button and it's running only when we need it.

My lathe has a single speed motor so it is equipped with a VFD to give me infinite speed adjustment but it is running on 3 phase rather than converting single phase to 3 phase. It's supposed to maintain the horsepower rating this way. The crew at Precision Mathews wired that part up for me. My lathe is the SHUN CHUAN MACHIHERY lND CO., LTD. ERL-1340.

My buddy just wired up an unknown brand 10hp RPC. He was there when I did the "smoke test" on my 40hp American Rotary digital. He said the one he wired was scary during startup and thought mine was going to be worse. Nope. Pretty quiet and uneventful.

40 horse!!!! Holy F**k!!! That's a lot of capacity. I'm assuming you're running a shop where many machines run at once. I have a 7.5 HP American Rotarty which I used when I still kept my tools at home. Now it just sits there, but I could run my Bridge Port and 5 HP lathe without overloading at all. I will say that if you plan to run a 3 phase oven like I have, then a 15 to 20 HP would be necessary. I tried to hook up my oven to my 7.5 HP and it would not hold because It was drawing 40 amps at start up, and the converter is rated at 22 max amp output. So I disconnected one heating element and the converter just carried it because it would only draw 20 amps this way. If you're going to purchase a new converter, I would certainly consider an American Rotary if I were you.

40 horse!!!! Holy F**k!!! That's a lot of capacity. I'm assuming you're running a shop where many machines run at once. I have a 7.5 HP American Rotarty which I used when I still kept my tools at home. Now it just sits there, but I could run my Bridge Port and 5 HP lathe without overloading at all. I will say that if you plan to run a 3 phase oven like I have, then a 15 to 20 HP would be necessary. I tried to hook up my oven to my 7.5 HP and it would not hold because It was drawing 40 amps at start up, and the converter is rated at 22 max amp output. So I disconnected one heating element and the converter just carried it because it would only draw 20 amps this way. If you're going to purchase a new converter, I would certainly consider an American Rotary if I were you.

I needed the 40hp RPC for just one machine, but I have to admit, it really opens the doors for some other things in a one man garage shop. Like maybe another machine with similar HP.

300sniper, I had a feeling that's why you got the 40 HP unit, but I wasn't sure. I know it's a big investment, but you're correct in that now you can run anything you want out of your garage. I love your work.