• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New gun, 17 HMR. some input?

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
I haven't had a new gun come my way for a little while and was thinking of picking one up. I decided on a 17 HMR. I have multiple calibers from 243. win and up but very few smaller. I have 1 old 22 that isn't very accurate and decided i should get another rimfire for plinking and small game. I am very fascinated in the 17 HMR and im curious whats everyones thoughts on this caliber. It will be used for targets, practice, and small game like coons, skunks, and prarie dogs. I was looking into a savage 93R17 BVSS grey laminate heavy bull barrel or the BVTS i believe, the thumbhole laminate stainless.

Re: New gun, 17 HMR. some input?

I almost got that exact rifle. In fact, my wife had ordered it for me for Christmas 3 years ago. Then I found the Ruger 17/77 and we had to work things out with the gun shop. It has a "heavy" barrel, grey laminate stock. I have not used it on game yet, but it is accurate enough out to 200 yards. It does not like the wind. Good luck!

I have a 93R17-TR. Tack driving little gun and have been able to hit prairie dogs with it out to 300 yards (when I can pry it out of my daughter's hands!). It's a great caliber, in my opinion. I like the extra range and flat trajectory it has over the .22LR and it still seems to have plenty of killing power out there, as well. The only thing I would watch out for in the 93, is that they sometimes suffer from misfires. Not all of them do it, but mine did. I had to add a little material on the back of the firing pin so that it would get a solid lockup and fire every round. Since I did that, it's been trouble free.

I to have the ruger and love that thing!! Here in western kansas it gets a work out in the spring and summer. we talking bricks of ammo shooting at pdogs, and jack rabbits. Its a great gun and very accurate! 4 of my buddies all run differant models of savage 17's and they shoot good enough but the one thing that they all have trouble with is the Clips. They dont feed right or hard to load ect.. No problems with the Ruger. The 17 is a great little round, can see all ur hits and accurate enough to put head shots on pdogs up to 150 yds. I really didn't see the need for the 17 cause for a few more pennies a round i can shoot my reloaded 223 or 204. But after i got one i was sold! its a blast to shoot and makes ya take the dirt roads home after work so find something to shoot! get one! or two...

ps. I just run a leupold vx II 3x9 on my rig and love it. its all the glass needed, clear, clean looking just nice. Also have a 3x9 Zeiss conquest on another gun and its glass would work beautifully on a 17.

I went to the gun shop today to take a look at both guns and both were very very nice firearms. I loved the accutrigger, and preferred the safety. I loved the CZ too and preferred the clip on it. In the end i got a deal on the Savage and took it. It shot great and im very pleased with it. Only got to shoot a couple and tomorrow will be testing it all day!!

the 17 is a fun round!! you will be happy with the savage, i have two and they both shoot very well. somewhere i saw someone is making a ten round clip for the savage.

I too have to pry it away from daughter! I have (she has) the Savage and it is a great little shooter. It is a laser! So much fun! You will not be disappointed.
Worth mentioning? My mag fits weird too? Other then that it perfect!

I have the 93R BTVS. Hits squirrels so hard up close their head goes away. Here is a target I shot 3 times at 300 yards, and my gun. The three shots are two on the right middle and one on the bullseye. The bullets bounce off steel at 400 yards and barely scratch the paint. I recently switched to 20g ammo and its even more accurate for me. Had a slight issue with 17g not grouping as well as I would have liked and the 20g tightened the groups up nicely at 100 yards.

100_0750.jpg

IMG_7246-1.jpg

I have a savage 17 hmr and its almost my favorite rifle. Its small enough you don't have to be stingy with your ammo but its very accurate!! I am extremely pleased with my rifle and the damage it can do on varmints for such a small round. Love the 17hmr

get it! You will not be sorry! Kind of crazy, but I knocked the entire face off a squirrel standing broadside to me last May. The best thing about the .17 is being able to see the carnage play out in the scope...

Another topic of note (not to get you off topic), would be this new(er) .17 Hornet by Hornady, though, it is centerfire. I'm sure it'd be a hoot too.

On that note, the .17 fireball by Remington. It is in the 4,000 fps range with a 20g bullet.

I love the 17 HMR for shooting rabbits and other small game but it is too expensive to practice with. As far as rifles go I have an older Marlin 917V and it is scary accurate. I think you will like the round in which ever rifle you get. Lastly if you plan on eating what you shoot take head shots or shoot one of the less explosive bullets because the 17 gr v-max tears stuff up.

Agreed on the fmj option for hunting. I made a squirrels head disappear with one of the CCI firecracker rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: allghilliedup04</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a savage 17 hmr and its almost my favorite rifle. Its small enough you don't have to be stingy with your ammo but its very accurate!! I am extremely pleased with my rifle and the damage it can do on varmints for such a small round. Love the 17hmr </div></div>

^^^This! I shopped extensively before I bought my 93R17 and I couldn't believe the value. I started out wanting to buy either the Ruger or the CZ. I was definitely prepared to spend more but after looking at all 3 and reading every review I could find I bought the Savage and couldn't be happier. One review I read included an accuracy test of all the then available .17HMR rifles. In that review the Savage came in second right below the $1,200+ Anschutz. Ruger, Marlin, Remington (no longer available?), and CZ all scored below the Savage and it was the least expensive by far. I don't think there is a better value than the Savage rimfires.

FWIW I was really disappointed with the fit and finish on the Ruger. I really <span style="font-style: italic">wanted</span> to like it as I was a Ruger fan at the time but the fit and finish on that rifle was a real turn-off for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed on the fmj option for hunting. I made a squirrels head disappear with one of the CCI firecracker rounds. </div></div>
The CCI FMJs have been the most accurate out of mine (beating out the V-Max by only a hair). They still tear up prairie dogs, no problem. I have trouble finding them locally, however.

I love my savage 93btvs. I put a nitrex scope on it and couldn't be happier. If you get the savage be sure to get a better bottom metal like the one from DIP, it's only about $20. The factory one is flimsy and makes torquing the action inconsistent.

I did a quick ammo test out of mine. I only had time to do a 5 shot group of 5 different types of ammo. I wanted to do 10 shot groups or more but

The hornady 17gr vmax was the best.
The cci 17gr TNT and the cci 20gr were tie for second
Then the federal 17gr vmax was ok
Last was the hornady 20 gr
I didn't even bother including Winchester in the test because I was getting delayed ignition from half the rounds. Don't even buy that crap

Awhile back Amber bought me a Browning T-bolt in .17HMR. It is a fun rifle and very accurate. Last time out with it I was busting a bunch of ground squirrels on a brush pile at 150-175 yards. Lots of fun.
I do not think they make this model any longer, but they do sell the standard stock model T-bolt.

Take care,Stan

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WaMNk-18arg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WaMNk-18arg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I got my father in law a ruger 17hmr. Probably the most over priced of all 17's but Ruger is what he likes, don't think owns a non ruger rifle. So that is what i was going to get him. It shoots great and looks great, love the rotary mag but that is probably its only feature over other makes. Trigger is terrible on it.

If the rifle was for me i would have went with a different make and a much cheaper route. Just get a cheap 17 you can always get a nice micro fit stock to personalize it and make it look a lot nicer for 100 bucks or so. Lots of fun

I have a Marlin 917v. The thing is accurate as heck and a blast to shoot. The HMR is <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> a plinking round, IMO. Too expensive to walk around shooting every little "target" you see like you can do (cheaply) with a 22. But, for small critters, the nice "thump" followed by a gaping hole and jello innards, the 17 excels.

I have the Ruger 77/17 and love it. It is very accurate and lots of fun to shoot. I regularly take it to the 200 yard range and blast away. At the 100 yard range it makes nice tight groups...good luck on your search

JaxOps

What scopes does everyone use on there 17HMR's. I want a scope that will get me out too 200 yards no problem and hopefully 300 yards. I dont want the sweet 17 due to terrible ratings. anysuggestions

Thinking of going with a Burris FullField II 3-9 or 4.5-14 ballistic plex reticle

I cheaped it at the time and got the Centerpoint from Wal-Mart. Its a 4-16x50mm with green/red illumination and it has mil-dots. I have used it all the way out to 400 yards without having to touch the knobs. The 17g ammo tracks pretty well with the mil-dots.

What ruger u looking at? the plastic stock one or the nice grey lam? cause the Lam is the best thing out there bar none! well unless u like the shark like savage stock and jacked up lines????

Leopold vxII 3x9 or zeiss conquest 3x9. badass for the 17's

I'm using a Pentax Gameseeker. I think it's a 3-9x40 and has their version of a BDC reticle (forget what they call it). For a bargain bin scope, I was shocked at how nice the glass is on it. I'm not usually a fan of BDC style reticles, but in a .17HMR used for moving P-dogs, it works great out to 300 yards.

2-7X32 Vortex viper. It is great out to 250 or so on jacks and other small game. If the rifle spent more time on the range I would want more magnification maybe something in the 4.5-14 range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt_3479</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thinking of going with a Burris FullField II 3-9 or 4.5-14 ballistic plex reticle </div></div>

I have the Fullfield II, Ballistic Plex reticle on mine; I think they make a great combination. The Burris glass is actually pretty decent for the price (I paid around 159.00 on sale IIRC)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt_3479</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-weight: bold">What scopes does everyone use on there 17HMR's</span>. I want a scope that will get me out too 200 yards no problem and hopefully 300 yards. I dont want the sweet 17 due to terrible ratings. anysuggestions </div></div>

I run a Vortex Crossfire 4-12 with the fine crosshair. The fine crosshair is great for shooting small critters at distance.

I put a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on that Ruger 77/17

Nice clear scope for the money and good enough to get you out to 200yrds no problem

love it.

My wife bought me a 93R17-BTVS for my birthday a few years back. I can easily shoot water bottles at 260 with it. Super fun little rifle. I have a Nikon Buckmaster 6.5-18x44 on it.
a17abca3.jpg

Thats a beautiful rifle you got there!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shedhorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">found it. www.17hmrmag.com</div></div>

Well reading that just cost me $50

To the OP, I run a savage, great guns. I found the accuracy and terminal performance of the original Hornady 17 Vmax the best

The only bad thing about the Savage .17 rifles are the magazines. Those ten rounders may work great but I don't have one in my hands to try, though I would like to order one eventually. My stock 5 rounders don't pick up a cartridge every time but a quick bump forward with a finger and all is right again in the world. I can feel the difference when chambering a round or not so its pretty easy to tell when one doesn't get picked up.

i have a henry and a anschutz and love it had ruger 22 before but the ruger 17 did not feel the same. i put a bsa sweet 17 that allows you to adjust the scope to the yardage it is really neat and works very well. wish i could get a bigger clip for the anschutz that is why i like the henry u get 12 shots i think.

I have the nitrex scope 5-20 on mine made by weaver The scope is amazing for the price $189 at Natchez.

Can't go wrong with the CZ 452 17HMR, own 2, Varmint Heavy barrel and the American, both are super accurate using Hornady Vmax. Another good scope on them is the Weaver V-16, awesome scopes for the $$$