• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New gun to test

Bigbrotheretter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Washington,
Well, i bucked up and bought a Marlin xl7 in .270 Win.
So far im pretty impressed with the gun!
The bolt is just as smooth as my old Howa 1500.
The stock is pretty stiff!
The trigger on the Marlin XL7 is 20x better than my Howa's was! It came stock and its about 3-4 pounds and very smooth. (Has a accu-trigger type trigger.)(I bought snap caps for it)
The safety on the Marlin xl7 is ok, it doesnt have the 3 stage safety. Where it locks the bolt. Like the howa.
The XL7 comes with a nice base.
Although the xl7 doesnt have a free-floated barrel...
So far i like it more than my Howa 1500.
I will have pictures of it tomorrow after i get done cutting wood with my dad. I will be taking it too the range sometime soon and will post pictures of the targets when i get it sighted in.

Re: New gun to test/ Budget centerfire rifle!

Update today!
Here is the rifle!
I have not shot it yet, but the scope was too high for me! So i designed a homeade cheekpeice!
4392529883_38c077aa81_b.jpg

4392530417_c6a4d5dd78_b.jpg

Here is the one peice base that it came wtih!
4393299880_f892bedf9e_b.jpg

The pro fire trigger!
-And here is the homeade cheek piece! Its 3/4 inch pipe insulation! I just havee to think of a way to attach it effictively!
4393299398_98eef81af6_b.jpg

4392528379_3f42cf4d6f_b.jpg

It may not look pretty but I have seen lots of guys over here in Afghanistan use 100MPH tape to attach cheak pieces to their M14s.

I used the same thing for a cheek piece with my old stock. I got one of those $7 ammo sleeves and used that to hold it in place. Worked ok for me. Also I'd suggest pulling your action and using a dremel or sandpaper to float your barrel a bit more down the forearm if I was you.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

4557863916_984469514c_b.jpg

Here is my groups shot with the Marlin .270 win at 100 yards! i was pretty impressed. I used some super cheap fusion 130grain factory ammo.
I just got my reloading stuff for it, so im going to click in some loads and see how well it will shoot then!
It shoots good for a $259 budget stick.