• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Gun

Alex Gogola

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
What is the best factory rifle for about $1500. That is rifle only, not including scope.

Re: New Gun

Thats a very open question.

What do you want to do with it for starters?

I want to be able to be accurate at 600 yards. Also intend on doing a little hunting with it.

308 is easy to shoot. Ammo are readily available. Longer barrel life than 300wm. Should be able to reach 1000 with a 308. Other options include 260 rem, 243 with or without AI. You cant go wrong with a 308. Just saying...

My vote goes to Remington 700 5R Milspec for about $1100. Both of the ones I've had the pleasure of shooting shot around 5/8" at 100 yards and weren't fussy at all about ammo. They both were super easy to make accurate hand loads for and they leave you some money for accessories and ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308 is easy to shoot. Ammo are readily available. Longer barrel life than 300wm. Should be able to reach 1000 with a 308. Other options include 260 rem, 243 with or without AI. You cant go wrong with a 308. Just saying... </div></div> What type of knockdown power does the 260 have?

You REALLY need to do some independent research before posting the questions your asking. Rifles, as well as glass, are very subjective and your not going to get a solid answer to "What is the best rifle under $1500?" or "What is the best scope under $1000?" Use the google search function on the side bar and search through all the sections in the forums and you'll get more information than you need.