• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy, AR shopping, looking for advice and wisdom

LDB

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2014
I plan to buy an AR soon. I'm researching now and learned of your site through a thread on m4carbine.net forum. I hope you can stand some of the probably typical dumb new guy questions. I'm in the south suburbs of Houston. Nearby shooting is limited to indoor 25 yard limit ranges. With the heat I'm not too keen on shooting outdoors right now anyway.

I like shooting. I don't like gun cleaning but I do know it's a necessary evil at times. I don't like recoil. I don't have a Ferrari budget but I'm not looking for Yugo either. I'd like to get a good quality rifle for up to $1500 OTD with good quality flip up sights on it. I think I want to go with a 16" barrel not counting the muzzle brake just in case the loonies get active again and put in any kind of length limitations that affect anything shorter than that.

I'm 57 and hope to have up to 20 years or so to enjoy the rifle and then will pass it along to my grandson, hoping he can enjoy it for 50 years or more. Originally I was leaning to a gas piston rifle because I've read reports they shoot softer and run cooler and cleaner. More recent reading suggests that might not be so. So I'm considering both GP and DI rifles.

My LGS has this rifle or the LW version of this rifle for $1289. https://danieldefense.com/firearms/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v5.html

I've also thought about the PWS MK116 and MK118 rifles. So, I'm looking for advice and opinions on which operating system is best for a new guy and which rifles would be good for my "suspect" list. Thanks for any and all help on this.

I vote LMT Standard Patrol. It's a high quality gun, accurate, and eats everything I feed it. It's a basic model so you can get upgrades per your needs. I own a lot of ARs and the LMT was my very first. Been 8 years. Service with LMT is also excellent.

If you don't like cleaning, the PWS's piston driven system would mitigate the amount of cleaning you have to do. I own and have owned a number of different AR's and PWS rifles are just outstanding. They balance well and shoot better. You can score one for 15-1600 on gunbroker.

Colt, LMT, Daniel Defense, BCM are all tops within your budget.

With a budget of $1500 I would go buy a Colt 6920 and an Aimpoint PRO red dot. That will give you a very solid base to start with. If you want to add a different rail or any of a thousand other possible additions later you can.

Colt 6920
Colt LE6920MP-B Law Enforcement 30+1 223REM/5.56NATO 16.1" $1,040.00 SHIPS FREE

Aimpoint PRO:
http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...sights/patrol-rifle-optic-pro--prod54099.aspx

That's an OK deal ... But CDNN has Colt M4s for like $899 and their shipping is cheap. As far as aimpoint Pro I would recommend picking up one used with a larue QD mount for ~$400 as they pop up in the classifieds quite often.

I'd rather not have a short action gun and I think the Colt is a short action. I'm sure it's a good quality gun but just not the one for me.

Lots off good options out there. If you happened to want to build one yourself I did this:

Stag Arms lower: 130
Parts kit: 70
Magpul Stock:100
PSA Midwest Industry Rail upper: 400
Witt Machine AR Muzzle Brake: 89
Leupold AR scope: 350 with mounts

1,139 Out the door. Not a bad option to look at

That's an OK deal ... But CDNN has Colt M4s for like $899 and their shipping is cheap. As far as aimpoint Pro I would recommend picking up one used with a larue QD mount for ~$400 as they pop up in the classifieds quite often.

The links were just an example of what I what I was talking about. I would expect the OP to shop around before deciding on a vendor. I'm not going to price check the internet for a "What AR should I buy" thread.

Why would an Aimpoint PRO need a Larue QD mount?

For $415-ish it comes with a perfectly good mount new in the box. Personally when I want to buy something I want to buy it. Not wait for something to maybe pop up in a for sale section somewhere. If its there when I am ready to buy no problem but the whole waiting for something that may or may not show up this month is for the birds. Least it is for me.

Sorry, a short gas system, carbine length I guess they call it. I'd like a rifle length but obviously that is only in a rifle length gun.

BCM has a good deal on 16inch uppers. Free bolt carrier group and compensator with purchase of upper. Plenty of options to choose from in the $600-800 range. Pair it with the lower of your choice and you've got a rock solid option for $1000-1200.

Sorry, a short gas system, carbine length I guess they call it. I'd like a rifle length but obviously that is only in a rifle length gun.

I think you should get a mid-length. They're in the middle of carbine and rifle.

If you are shooting inside of 200-300 yards, you might find that any AR will fit your needs...

Don't overthink the process.... buy from one of the top tier manufacturers and move on with your next choices...

I know that the factory gas system works extremely well... the Piston guns... have no "mil spec" standard so each company makes a variation on a gas piston design... some are more robust / less prone to problems....

If you are thinking that you want a piston gun to avoid cleaning it... consider buying an AK74- soft shooting and will work when FILTHY

The more you play with a Mil Spec design to soften recoil... gas system tweaks, adjustable gas systems. reduced mass bolt and buffers... the more finicky a gun you will own...
less reliability when you switch ammo brands, bullet weights and more sensitive to dirt...

Daniel Defense makes a great rifle
the Colt 6920/6940's are great

for a reliable AR, stay with a top tier manufacturer in a mil spec configuration... easy right???

As you are in Texas, CDNNINVESTMENTS out of maybe Abiline, tend to have a wide assortment of AR's... They can ship to your FFL... just ask your FFL what they charge to receive and DROS a rifle... first

CDNN SPORTS - Search results for: 6920

FREE 5-MAG PACK
COLT 6920 16" FLAT TOP M4 RET STOCK 1-30RD MPUL Special Sale: $899.89

FREE 5-MAG PACK
COLT 6940 223 16" LE MONOLITH QUAD RAIL 2-20RD $1,299.99

and seriously- you have GREAT timing.... the AR's market is so flooded... prices are the lowest they have been in several years...

CDNN SPORTS - FIREARMS SEMI-AUTO RIFLES 223 REM/5.56 NATO

At this point I'm fairly set on either a DD rifle or a BCM upper with the freebies and a BCM lower. I'm going to purchase them a few days apart so I only get dinged the 11% on the lower if I go with BCM. If I go DD I'll go with my LGS.

Last edited: