• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy from Crestwood, KY

cghorr01

Tire Slayer
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2020
Kentucky
Hello Everyone
New guy from KY here. 33 years old and married with 2 kids, a 12 year old daughter and nearly 6 year old son. I have been shooting since I was 5 and recently developed the desire to learn long range shooting and immediately discovered that in stark contrast to my understanding of shorter range weapons and shooting I know absolutely nothing about long range weapons, scopes, technique or even basic theory. Hope to absorb as much as I can from the folks around here, develop in depth knowledge and my abilities. When I'm not shooting I'm into riding motorcycles, fine Kentucky Bourbon, building and racing high performance cars and also working hard so I can pay for the toys!

Reactions: DustBun
MAN does it feel good to see my fellow Kentuckians stand up!! Thank you for the welcome Sir, glad to be here. Any advice for a total newb?
Mainly if you don't already, try to learn to reload. Tuning a load to a rifle makes a world of difference when shooting at distance.

You don't have to go crazy to get started, I started on savages, spent more money on reloading and components than my first several "long range" rifles. I have sold off a lot if my savages to fund higher end builds but still have a bunch that shoot just as well as my 2k plus setups, just not as nice of a trigger or stocks, and not as smooth, but they are functionally sound and work well. When you do shoot keep a notebook of conditions and how specific loads/ammo reacts, will help you know what adjustments to make during future shooting.

Although not the greatest at long range my $219 (when on sale and with $100 mir) Savage 12 fv 22-250 bedded in a $200 laminate stock would shoot .1s with consistent sub .25s until I got past 1200ish rounds, probably my most precise rifle ever. There are several options for rifles to get started on that don't cost much, save your money for ammo to practice in the beginning.

Main thing is just get out and shoot, learn your rifle and load/ammo.

I've already settled on my first acquisition, bought a Tikka T3X CTR Stainless 6.5 Creedmoor. I do plan on a few other bolt guns in the immediate future however and the 22-250 is a cartridge I've been looking at pretty hard. Also, been loading/reloading since about 10 years old. Single stage for rifle and a multi for handgun range ammo. Something that I am VERY proficient at!

Mainly if you don't already, try to learn to reload. Tuning a load to a rifle makes a world of difference when shooting at distance.

You don't have to go crazy to get started, I started on savages, spent more money on reloading and components than my first several "long range" rifles. I have sold off a lot if my savages to fund higher end builds but still have a bunch that shoot just as well as my 2k plus setups, just not as nice of a trigger or stocks, and not as smooth, but they are functionally sound and work well. When you do shoot keep a notebook of conditions and how specific loads/ammo reacts, will help you know what adjustments to make during future shooting.

Although not the greatest at long range my $219 (when on sale and with $100 mir) Savage 12 fv 22-250 bedded in a $200 laminate stock would shoot .1s with consistent sub .25s until I got past 1200ish rounds, probably my most precise rifle ever. There are several options for rifles to get started on that don't cost much, save your money for ammo to practice in the beginning.

Main thing is just get out and shoot, learn your rifle and load/ammo.

I've already settled on my first acquisition, bought a Tikka T3X CTR Stainless 6.5 Creedmoor. I do plan on a few other bolt guns in the immediate future however and the 22-250 is a cartridge I've been looking at pretty hard. Also, been loading/reloading since about 10 years old. Single stage for rifle and a multi for handgun range ammo. Something that I am VERY proficient at!
Sounds like you are on the right path and setup to hit the ground running. Just find a good load and practice, get familiar with ballistic calculators, and starting learning to read wind. Good luck and have fun.

Reactions: cghorr01
Welcome to the Hide from Middle Georgia. Glad to see you're already diving in and getting after it. And reloading is not just a hobby, as was mentioned it can really help you reach out. And the way things are going you may need to know how to keep yourself in ammo. Just root around in the different forums and don't hesitate to ask questions when you have 'em. Great to have ya Brother.

Reactions: cghorr01
Welcome to the Hide from Middle Georgia. Glad to see you're already diving in and getting after it. And reloading is not just a hobby, as was mentioned it can really help you reach out. And the way things are going you may need to know how to keep yourself in ammo. Just root around in the different forums and don't hesitate to ask questions when you have 'em. Great to have ya Brother.
That's a good point and one I didn't really think of since when I do a build I get 150% of estimated barrel life in brass, then once I find a good load do the same with the powder and projectiles, so am very well stocked and never worried about ammo taxes or shortages. But never know what will happen with the political and social unrest we are seeing currently, so make sure to get enough consumables to at least burn the barrel out once you find the right load.

Reactions: Dragonscout25
Reloading is something I've always done, for 23 years now! I haven't done it for accuracy up until this point but rather just to build ammo on the cheap.

Good advice!

That's a good point and one I didn't really think of since when I do a build I get 150% of estimated barrel life in brass, then once I find a good load do the same with the powder and projectiles, so am very well stocked and never worried about ammo taxes or shortages. But never know what will happen with the political and social unrest we are seeing currently, so make sure to get enough consumables to at least burn the barrel out once you find the right load.

Glad to have you looking into the community, the biggest thing when it comes to long range equipment in my opinion is, buy once cry once. Save your money and buy quality products, whether its a shooting bag, or an optic, do your research watch some videos ask some guys that have been around a while. There is a lot of valuable info on here, but there are also a lot of opinions, so just make sure to do your homework. Good luck!