• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Guy from CT

Nuke8401

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2012
CT
Just saying hello. Been a member for a while.
Trying to get ready for my first match, Reade Summer sniper match.
This is my gear with the first 25 rounds out of my new barrel, criterion 308 1-10, light varmint.
Savage 110 action
B&C Duramax stock
Rifle Basics trigger SAV-1
Bushnell 10x mil/mil, 20 MOA base
Maxpedition Pigmy Falcon bag, if it doesn’t fit in or on the bag, I don’t need it.
Cheap Blackhawk bi-pod.

These are my first real shots with any rifle prone other than a few here and there shooting 3-gun. From left to right groups labeled 1-5.
I have about 10 years competition experience with handguns IDPA/USPSA so I have some trigger control discipline.

Going through the on-line training vids now, learning a lot.

Currently struggling with recoil management, rifle weighs just under 13lbs. My goal is to see my hits, can’t do that yet, rifle jumping too much.

I do have some great guys local who are helping me out.

Next on the list to fix; cheek weld, currently = none!

David E.

Attachments

• 2014-05-31 09.38.34.jpg
    2014-05-31 09.38.34.jpg
    983 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hey
Another CT guy! Where do you shoot in CT? Anything over 100yds? My club has 100 but planing on pushing it back to 300-500, hoping for 500. Just bought a scope off a guy here last night, so I'll be back out shooting finally. I'm up in north central CT.

I'm in southeastern CT. I'm lucky to have my club/400yd range 15min away.
I've shot a couple of short range "scout rifle" matches up your way. "Northwestern Sportsman's club" was the name I think.

A scope upgrade is high on my list but I have bigger fish to fry first.

David

I wish I had 400 yds that close. Hopefully soon at my club. For now my buddies and I go up to VT. We shot out to 650 last fall. My buddy went up last weekend, found a spot out to about 1000 yds. Can't wait!

Where in Southeast Ct is there a 400 yard range? I have been in Bethel for almost a year now and was under the impression that 100 yards was about as good as it gets.

They certainly do not make it easy here. With licensing costs & range costs/availability I would certainly call it infringement...

I regrettably left NV a year ago. This is the public FREE range in Carson City. It seems that your tax dollars out there actually get you something.

Attachments

• 20140512_120526.jpg
    20140512_120526.jpg
    808.4 KB · Views: 16
You are not new Dave. LOL

Ledyard Sportsman's Club has a 400 yard rifle range where Dave and I are members.

Thanks David. I have a nephew going to school at Groton right now, he's enjoying it and looking forward to his first duty assignment.

Well then I keep him protected with fire/ems services. Will keep an eye on him for you ;)

Thanks David. I have a nephew going to school at Groton right now, he's enjoying it and looking forward to his first duty assignment.
mrbro, I went down a similar road as your nephew back in 82. It's all what you make of it and I wish him well, Fast Attack all the way!

David E.

Greetings from another CT guy or should I offer condolences. I know Hartford GC has a 200yd range. In addition i was talking to the guys down at Delta in Wallingford and he mentioned they are planning/researching setting up a 1000yd rang in Windsor.

Ah the illusive Connecticut 1000 yard range. Mike don't get your hopes up. Have been hearing the same story for years about "some guy/guys" who are looking into doing it. Kind of like gun store lore now. I will only believe it when I am putting rounds down range on it.

There would be a significant pull of people the the area for a 1k yard range. I would certainly take part. I keep thinking about joining one of the clubs to shoot past 100 but there isn't anything reasonably close to Oxford.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Agreed...just wanted to put it out as I know Delta is a relatively new shop and from what I seen down there, good people

My son went to BESS at Rotten Grotten 2 years ago. He's at The Pearl now assigned to a fast attack. Wait till your nephew spends 7 months at sea in one of those little tubes and then see what he thinks. LOL I wish him luck earning his fish. I have all the respect in the world for those guys (or anyone in the military for that matter). Sub service is a tough row to hoe.

Ah the illusive Connecticut 1000 yard range. Mike don't get your hopes up. Have been hearing the same story for years about "some guy/guys" who are looking into doing it. Kind of like gun store lore now. I will only believe it when I am putting rounds down range on it.

I would love to see a 1000 range also but after Newtown even opening a new indoor range within 100 miles of anything is a non-starter. Academi (Blackwater) out of Salem also talked about buying land for a significant distance range but so far hasn’t done so (built an outdoor range) and I really don’t think it fits their mission/customer in SE CT.

David E.

My son went to BESS at Rotten Grotten 2 years ago. He's at The Pearl now assigned to a fast attack. Wait till your nephew spends 7 months at sea in one of those little tubes and then see what he thinks. LOL I wish him luck earning his fish. I have all the respect in the world for those guys (or anyone in the military for that matter). Sub service is a tough row to hoe.

7 months in a "fur lined sewer pipe" is any easy run!
Really though three things stand out for me/my underway time:
- With no "cold war" the mission seemed less defined and it could/can be hard to understand why you are out there.
- While you’re out there (underway) you are basically “wishing your life would go by as fast as possible” which generally isn’t a normal thing.
- I left Norfolk one time in maybe March and returned Septemberish, missing an entire summer was like being in a coma/dead for those months.

My guess is that the guys in other services perceive their "time" in the same kind of way.

There are positives........really there are!

David E.

Last edited:
I would love to see it also but with the political climate is now and also the way towns are with zoning I don't see it happening. Actually less chance now than in the past unfortunately.

Hey guys, funny that the first posts I read as a registered member are from people around my area. I'm from southwestern RI but work in CT. I'm currently applying to the Bradford club which has a 400 yard range I believe.

Hey guys, funny that the first posts I read as a registered member are from people around my area. I'm from southwestern RI but work in CT. I'm currently applying to the Bradford club which has a 400 yard range I believe.

Bradford is a nice club and the rifle range set-up is nice but I'm thinking it was 300yds when I was there for a shotgun match a few years ago.

David E.

You're right it is 300 yards, apparently there are only (2) 300 yard ranges in RI. I guess I'll need to do a little research and try to find some more land nearby. I see you have a submarine in your avatar, do you work on them been any chance?

You're right it is 300 yards, apparently there are only (2) 300 yard ranges in RI. I guess I'll need to do a little research and try to find some more land nearby. I see you have a submarine in your avatar, do you work on them been any chance?
I was in the Navy and was stationed/worked on a few back in the day. I work for the Navy now at Electric Boat.
Did you say you work in CT?
David E.

Yea I actually work for EB too, small world. I work in New London facilities, how about you?