• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy from Georgia!

Warcrow

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
Just figured i would poke my head in and say hello. Currently looking at getting a bolt action rifle for hunting and a bit of semi long range shooting. Have always wanted to be able to shoot long distance but have no idea what that entails lol.

I creeped the forums for a little while, basically just reading feed back from other users etc and have decided on a Tikka T3 lite, found a couple of them local so now I am decided between a 308 or 30-06. Both priced very well so should be exciting getting one.

Welcome from Idaho. Browse the forums and you’ll find an endless amount of info on long range shooting, and tips here. If you’ll be shooting more long range than hunting I’d go 308. That’s just me.

Welcome from Idaho. Browse the forums and you’ll find an endless amount of info on long range shooting, and tips here. If you’ll be shooting more long range than hunting I’d go 308. That’s just me.

Honestly the biggest thing i would be hunting is deer, knowing 308 will get the job done there makes the choice a little easier.

Welcome aboard.

I agree if you want to spend more time shooting, get the .308. .308 is enough for any game in North America up through moose and grizzly if you know your effective range and use good bullets. Easier on the shoulder for range shooting too.

Welcome neighbor from upstate SC.

The difference between both 30 calibers is just a little bit of case capacity and velocity. I have both. The one I hunt with is the .30-06, primarily because I worked up a load for a moose tag and know where it will impact out to 600 yards. I could have done the same with a .308. For moose, the .308 was considered marginal and the .30-06 the minimum ticket (per F&G recommendation) but the differences are really marginal. In reality, with proper shot placement the moose won't know the difference. In PRS, the target doesn't know the difference either. Availability of match grade brass favors the .308.

What part of Georgia are you in and where do you shoot?

Welcome from North Carolina. You’ll find a wealth of information here!