• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy from PA

scar17h

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2020
New guy here from a Philly suburb. I would like to get into mid-long range shooting. I have some pistol and carbine skills, but I am not an experienced shooter. Recently, I got a SCAR 17 and put a 4-16 ATACR on it. While I couldn't do it consistently, I was able to get some occasional 1" groups at 100 which was very exciting to a beginner and inspired me keep going. I found SCAR to be a bit heavy with a 4-16 so I decided to put a LPVO on it and get a bolt gun for the ATACR (probably a Ruger Precision Rifle 20" in 308). Sadly, it's hard to find a range > 100 yards around here, but my ultimate goal is to be able to reach out to 600-800 yards some day. Looking forward to learning from all of you.

I'm a recent joiner as well. Live about 2 hours north of you. Good to know about those ranges, thanks ehess60. If you're interesting in learning, I can recommend Shooter's Gauntlet near Towanda PA, they have an excellent "intro to long range" one day class. Normally they take you to 300 yards, but if the class is small or everyone moves along quickly, you may get out further than that. The range goes to 1075 (they have a shooting position further back for 1400+)

Reactions: ehess60
Welcome to the Hide from Middle Georgia. Looks like you've already gotten some valuable intel to help you go "further" in the sport/skill. Sounds like you've got some good equipment already. I would concentrate on getting tight, BORINGLY consistent groups out of your rifles at 100. Then slowly move out, increasing the complexity of wind drift, weather and other variables that Pennsylvannia is so well known for. In no time you can be very good with the equipment you have. Get in touch with some of your Hide fellows here and get maybe to some of the fall shoots, even if only to watch and get a feel for how it's done. Take copious notes and remember, you only really compete against yourself...Glad to have you here...

Thanks gents. At this point, I would be happy with a 300-600 yard range, but even though these 1000 yard ranges are 2.5-3 hours away I wouldn't rule anything out for a rare opportunity to shoot that far at least once a year.

Reactions: Zorrosdens
Welcome. Theres a 1000 yd ra ge in Allenwood as well. Still a bit of a drive for you.

welcome from delaware not positive all the shooting spots in the area or which would be the closes to philly but
https://www.nhrpc.org/ is pretty close in pa .
https://www.mifflincosportsmens.com/ also in pa they were pretty easy to join and besides bridgeville in southern de only other 1k range I know of in the area that doesn't require a day trip to get to it .
http://www.alexanderssportingfarmllc.com/ in md out to 600 yards but a nice friendly atmosphere

Welcome from CO