• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy got a 5R.

littlettam

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2012
Arlington, Tx
Hey guys my names Matt, live in Texas. Im some what new to the forum. Ive been lurking around the site for awhile gathering information but haven't had anything really to post about, I'm more of a reader then poster being is that I'm new to precision shooting and lack experience. I picked up a Remington 700 5R .308 back in February and had it cerakoted by Ross Precision Gunworks, great guy and great service. Installed a Tinmey 510 trigger and topped it off with a Vortex Viper 5x15-44 Mil/Mil last week, couldn't be more happy with this scope. Went to the range this weekend to do some work. This 5R is a shooter, being brand new to precision shooting Im super pleased with some of the groups I've been getting. Here's some pics for you guys.

The Gun -
Remington 700 5R .308 (cerakote graphite black)
Badger Ordnance 20 moa base
Badger Ordnance low rings
Vortex Viper 5x15-44 Mil/Mil
Tinmey 510 Trigger.
120 Blackhills 175g SMK BTHP down the tube.
c98b7ab3.jpg

Alpine Shooting Range in Fort Worth, Texas.
b0016b2a.jpg

3 shot group, looked good on the wood.
15f74ace.jpg

5 shot group, Im working on it.
453157f9.jpg

10 shot group. This is harder than I thought..but happy.
7599816c.jpg

Wood looks better.
6f3bc36d.jpg

Over all super happy with this gun, I know it can shoot better than me I just need more practice. Can't want to shoot at longer distances. Thanks for looking.

Re: New guy got a 5R.

Looks like you have yourself a nice shooting rifle. It pays off tenfold to read a lot, then make a decision based on your research. You have done well.

The only thing i do not like about the 5R's are the stainless steel finish. That said, you fixed the problem, and that is one GOOD LOOKIN' RIFLE. nice stick you got there, sir. And, from the pics you posted she shoots good too.

Welcome to the forums. Read lots, learn lots, and happy shooting!

-Paulus

Nice rig. I am planning on breaking my 5R in this summer.

nice set-up. i went back and forth between the 5r and the 700p. i didn't care for the stainless finish and had plans to cerakote it right off as well. i went with the 700p to save the cost difference between the 2 and the cost of the cerakote. at any rate....great work!

Nice looking rifle.. I've got one sitting in the safe waiting on a seekins rail and rings to mount my B&L 10x40. I've been considering the black cerakote as well and it does look good like that.

How are you liking the 510 trigger? I have been thinking about getting that trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WV shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking rifle.. I've got one sitting in the safe waiting on a seekins rail and rings to mount my B&L 10x40. I've been considering the black cerakote as well and it does look good like that.

How are you liking the 510 trigger? I have been thinking about getting that trigger. </div></div>

- I love this trigger its crisp and clean, easy to install set at 3 pounds I defiantly can tell the difference in my groups. Highly recommend it.
Thanks guys for the positive comments.

Great looking rifle. I like the Cerakote finish.

Nice rifle.

Any reason you didn't go with the 20" threaded barrel???

If you ever want to shoot to 1000 yards the range in Liberty Hill TX, Best of the West shooting range, is really nice.

I'm in San Antonio and make the trip up there at least 3 times a year or more.

What are you doing at my range?!?

I shoot there quite often.

Nice gun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Furyataurus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle.

Any reason you didn't go with the 20" threaded barrel???

If you ever want to shoot to 1000 yards the range in Liberty Hill TX, Best of the West shooting range, is really nice.

I'm in San Antonio and make the trip up there at least 3 times a year or more. </div></div>

I really liked the 24inch barrel length and didn't have any intention to get a suppressor
or brake but I have been thinking about it recently.
I'll have to check on that place, maybe take a trip. Thanks for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cactus Kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you doing at my range?!?

Nice gun! </div></div>

Haha I'll send you my range fee it's in the mail. I have been there the last two weekends it's an ok place when it's not crowded. Maybe I'll see you up there.

If you see a OD green tikka varmint it's probably me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: littlettam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cactus Kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you doing at my range?!?

Nice gun! </div></div>

Haha I'll send you my range fee it's in the mail. I have been there the last two weekends it's an ok place when it's not crowded. Maybe I'll see you up there. </div></div>

nice setup, the vortex pst scope look super nice on the remington 5r

littlettam[img said:
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g331/littlettam/b0016b2a.jpg[/img]
3 shot group, looked good on the wood.

That's what she said.