• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy, green as hell from Austin, TX

Kirk111

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2013
Austin, TX
Hello everyone.

I'm brand new to shooting and am looking forward to getting into it. Let me start by saying I don't know a damn thing about shooting. I'll do my best to listen to advice given. That being said, I've been researching like crazy about marksmanship fundamentals and the right equipment to start with. I'll need help with my initial equipment purchase.

I'm going to start hunting with a friend of mine, but long range shooting has always facinated me. Whenever I take up something, I seem to pick the most ridiculously difficult aspect of it. Ex: I'm a professional photographer here in Austin. You'd think just digital right? Nah, I have to take up doing tintypes in the wet plate collodion process ( all handmade photos on glass or tin, pre-film, really dangerous, but oh so amazing ) and developing a business around it. Here's an example of my madness...

WP Arnold Pompey 0313 001.jpg

I like a serious challenge. So it seems I'm in the right place with long range shooting! I look forward to "talking" with all of you guys!

welcome to the hide! best advice i can give is; don't jump into this full speed. go to a range w/ a friend,with shooting experience .watch,learn,fire a few rounds,all the while using safe handling of the equipment.bad habits are easy to pick up-----
but hard to drop.good luck and happy shooting..............dave

Welcome to the Hide! Green is good as you don't have any bad habits yet! Lots to learn here and watch your wallet!

Thanks. I'm trying not to jump in head first, but it's tough for me.

I've started by going to the range with a friend just as you suggested. I've been about 3 times so far. Unfortunately my friend has a 300 win mag. Holy crap! Not the gun to start with that's for sure. He does have a .22 with open sites. Sounds like I should start with that for the time being.