• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new guy here

newyork

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
howdy guys. 1st post. i want to start saving for my 1st precision rig. I've been putting it off for years. i see all these $5000 setups and wonder if it's necessary. i generally can only shoot to 300yds but mostly 200.
i hear about rem 700 being good but i'd have to change the stock out because it throws poi off if using a bipod. i'd like to buy something that didn't require a stock change. i like the looks of ga precision, nighthawk, AI etc but damn theyre expensive. same goes for nightforce optics. i always want the nicer things if i settle for less so i'm wondering-should i save longer and spend the $3k-$5k and have it done right the 1st time around? ga precision rock catches my eye. the base model too but i'd end up buying the rings and base and trigger job anyway and the rock comes with those things already.
by the way if i go with nighthawk or desert tactical, i can pay it off for 12 months. are they as good as AI, GA Precision etc?

Re: new guy here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: newyork</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i always want the nicer things if i settle for less so i'm wondering-should i save longer and spend the $3k-$5k and have it done right the 1st time around? </div></div>

Well looks like you already made up your mind.... I would save up and get exactly what you want... trust me, it will be cheaper that way...
smile.gif

+1 for GAP rifles... also, welcome to the Hide....

Go out and buy a Savage model 10 and place a Sightron SIII or Falcon Menace, Super Sniper on top and call it good. Spend the rest on ammo until you can out shoot the gun.

I like the sound of the lower prices of Sightron and Savage but I know down the road I'll want better and might as well get the upgrades now. I wanted to know if Nighthawk Customs bolt guns are in the same league as GAP.

I have seen Savage shoot half MOA out of the box. As for sightron they are great for the money, I own alot of scopes and I would put sightron glass in the same with nightforce. I like my nightforce knobs better and the zero stop option but for half the price you can have a great scope!

Welcome to the Hide.

I wouldn't recommend to a person in your position spending $3-5K on a rifle set-up. You can get a Remington 700 SPS, not have to change the stock, get a bipod, get a decent scope for $600, some rings and base, and start figuring out the sport. Total price about $1500-1600.

Once your skills and knowledge have developed then start throwing around the big money to get what you have learned will improve your shooting.

Well said McCrazy thats the best advice he has got yet.

Welcome

I agree with McCrazy. As others have said a Savage model 10 would work well. As for bi-pod go for a Harris, they're cheap but work very well. If you're looking to shoot competition LR matches, you'll need a 20MOA rail. (Near) makes those for about $100. As for rings, the size scope you buy will determine what you need. 30mm, 1 inch you get the idea. For scopes Super Sniper makes a very solid scope for a very reasonable price. Of course Leupold can be thrown in the mix. IOR and GGG make very well made rings and cost much less than Badger or Nightforce. Keep in mind if you decide to ever compete you may want to invest in good optics first since they don't wear out so to speak. I shoot a Sako TRG-21 for competition stacked with a Nightforce NXS 42x. I spent a bunch of money for the bi-pod ($300) only to shelve it for a Harris ($65). Your choice will depend a great deal on what you plan to do in the future with it...hunting, comp..

Rooster

I always hear people say the stock MUST be changed on the 700 or savage 10. Is this true ? I will use a bipod and I've heard time and again that it throws the POI off. If I go with Savage, should I get the Mcmillan model ? Will I still have to change or bed the stock? Is it easy to do? If I go with Rem, same question. I would get Badger rings and base. Is 10x fine for shooting 100-300yds? Is the SS10x the best bet up to $600 or are their better for that price. I'll eventually get something nicer but, its a start.

The SS scope will do fine. 10x magnification is sufficient for 100-300 yard work. I have a 10x fixed scope on one of my rifles and have shot man-sized targets past 1,000 yards with it several times. That being said, a little more power (15-20) is often better.

The Remington 700 comes in many configurations, some with really cheesy stocks. The HS Precision stock that comes on the SPS and 5R is probably the best stock to come from the Remington factory; and while not ideal it is better than what is needed for your purposes.

Run out and immediately purchase a fair amount of tar heroin and commence repeated intravenous usage. It will likely be far less expensive that what you are about to embark upon

albeit much less entertaining