• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Guy: Looking for Entry Level Tactical Sniper

Adam E.

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Hello, new guy here looking for some suggestions. I am new to the world of sniper rifles but have always had an interest in them. I'm looking for a suggestion on an entry level tactical sniper rifle. Ideally I'd like to find something in the $500-1000 range. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Adam

Re: New Guy: Looking for Entry Level Tactical Snip

first of all, its not a "sniper rifle" unless your a sniper. its a precision rifle.

Re: New Guy: Looking for Entry Level Tactical Sniper

Don't let the media fool you: they're just bolt action rifles; quite ordinary and boring really.

My advice would be to get a good bolt action rifle. That might mean spending closer to your upper limit for a decent version of the Remington 700. Remingtons are good because they keep their resale value and are easy to re-sell if you don't take to the sport.

yes, and maybe you might give a little background on your plans for said rifle, is 500-1000 the total budget or just the rifle?
If you state your plans a little better you may get better/more usefull response.

Whatever you do don't buy a $1000 rifle and not have money to put good glass on it...

I am pretty new to the whole thing myself, and what these guys have said is definitely correct.

1. What do you want to do with the rifle?
2. What is your total budget for the rifle and glass (and accessories)?
3. How much are you willing to spend on something you may hardly use if you don't like it?

I personally got a Remington 700 SPS Varmint. I stuck a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 on it, and I just got a Bell and Carlson A2 stock for it. Everything about my rifle screams budget, and so far there is about $1,150 into it, not including ammo, or cleaning supplies, or novelty stuff like a shooting bag, or even range fees.

Sit down and think about what your overall picture is, and then go from there.

I'd like to use the rifle at a range or on private land for target shooting. Lets say 50-200 yards. Rifle brand and scope doesn't matter. I just want something thats reliable and suitable for a beginner.

There's a Whole lot to say about a decent used Savage. They go for much less than the Remingtons, But resale isn't too great. Buy a decent used one, (I'm assuming in 308) Get some decent glass, and a whole boatload of ammo. Shoot the ammo, decide what you wanna do with it. Good luck in finding a good place to shoot

If your just going to be shooting paper, bet a Remington 700 SPS varment in 223 (cheaper ammo) or go with 308 and you won't be handicaped down the road when you want to go further. If you do go 308, get the SPS tactical 1/10 twist that just came out. Add a bushnell 10x Mil/Mil scope or super sniper 10x and maybe spend $200 on a better stock and you'll be more than set up to shoot out to 600 easy. Have fun with it and don't get to caught up in all the new fancy gadgets. You'll know in time what you next move should be.

ETA.. This whole package should come in under $1000 if you play your cards right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your just going to be shooting paper, bet a Remington 700 SPS varment in 223 (cheaper ammo) or go with 308 and you won't be handicaped down the road when you want to go further. If you do go 308, get the SPS tactical 1/10 twist that just came out. Add a bushnell 10x Mil/Mil scope or super sniper 10x and maybe spend $200 on a better stock and you'll be more than set up to shoot out to 600 easy. Have fun with it and don't get to caught up in all the new fancy gadgets. You'll know in time what you next move should be.

ETA.. This whole package should come in under $1000 if you play your cards right. </div></div>
This would be ideal for you I think, no need to spend more at 200yds...

savages resell for pretty close to what you paid, ive been looking at them here. plus they are really easy to swap barrels on. you can get a mcmillan a5 or a HS stock from the factory plus DBM- detachable bottom magazine, for 600-700 bucks i bet. slap a super sniper 10x on it and your done. to be fair, the rem 700 sps tac or varmint or the acc model are decent too from what people are saying

your gonna get the ford-chevy when you ask this question. also... this question that you have asked has been asked here almost everyday for the past week. search this forum back several pages and read all the answers to this same question. its still gonna be savage v remington, but its good info

What you need, my friend, is a used Savage 10FP, a Bushnell 3200 10X scope, a mountain of ammo, a plan for learning and improving, and a place to go for help.

You already found the last one.
smile.gif

If your only planning on shooting 200 Yards I would go with something in 223.

Or even a .22, no need to waste money on centerfire ammo if your shooting to 200yds.

I think a good Howa or Vanguard are good for a budget, and if ya get into it later they can make a good base for a precision gun, maybe not as good as others but are cheaper to start with. I like the Super Snipers for budget reticle holders. just my opinion.......write that down

i just had to laugh at the title of this post, not to be malicious, but when i read it, it hit me, if you want an entry level tactical sniper, i bet the recruiting office or boot camp would be the place to look. hell after FMJ, i wont ever call a rifle a g-u-n. and i have no military service, not by choice either.

man there are killer deals on savages in the used section. grab one, slap a super sniper on it and buy a case of 168g or175g ammo and go to town man. like the man says, it aint rocket surgery

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your just going to be shooting paper, bet a Remington 700 SPS varment in 223 (cheaper ammo) or go with 308 and you won't be handicaped down the road when you want to go further. If you do go 308, get the SPS tactical 1/10 twist that just came out. Add a bushnell 10x Mil/Mil scope or super sniper 10x and maybe spend $200 on a better stock and you'll be more than set up to shoot out to 600 easy. Have fun with it and don't get to caught up in all the new fancy gadgets. You'll know in time what you next move should be.

ETA.. This whole package should come in under $1000 if you play your cards right. </div></div>

I'll second the above! I might change up to a 16x SS optic and I would personally roll with .308 in case ya need the xtra ft.lbs for hunting, but this is just my preference and not a debate starter!!

Low end: Howa 1500 or Remington 770 Not amazing but they do the job.

Mid level: Savage 10FP or Stevens 200 Short

Solid Plat form: Remington 700.

Pretty much how they stand for a budget build.
Then find some decent glass base and rings are your set.

I shoot a Remington 700 SPS tactical
Bushnell 3200 5-15x elite tactical
Badger Ordnance Rings and Base
Harris Bi pod

On my budget center fire rifle. Solid reliable Sub MOA shooter.

Just picked up a Savage FLCP-K rifle. Being a lefty my choies were limited so here's what I found.
Note, i still havent SHOT the thing, but:

Savage appealed to me because of a few features. For a start, the new Accutrigger models come with an easily adjustable trigger, whilst remingtons (from what i've heard) almost always require aftermarket triggers. Granted, the accutrigger isnt the BEST, but it'll to until i decide to upgrade it.

Savage rifles now come with DBM (Detach Mag) as standard. Sharp Shooter Supply will set you up with spare 9rnd mags so you alleviate the need to buy an aftermarket detach box later down the line.

Barrel Change. I dont like the muzzle brakes (it's a .308, if you cant shoot it without a brake then you need to rethink why you're choosing this sport), and because of the savage having such an easy barrel change, i decided that if i want to put a shorter or different calibre barrel on it, i can save hundreds on gunsmith install costs and just do it myself.

Finally (and this was just me), Savage rifles arent too popular here in Oz, so i wanted something slightly more unique that'd be different to the current stock of Mausers, Remintons and Rugers you see down at the range.
In fact, the first savage i've seen was on the shelf at the local 'smith. So there you have it.

Horses for courses however, i was VERY close to choosing the SPS Varmint in LH, .308 as well. The Remington will do you justice, especially if you get a good one, however if you want a DBM and Adjustable Trigger, you need to buy aftermarket, which can be costly.
HOWEVER. There are 10 aftermarket box mags/triggers for a remington for every 1 or 2 that are for a Savage. So you are bewildered with choice if you decide to upgrade. Remingtons make a GREAT platform to build on, but also allow you to start out great.

If you're like me, and you want something out of the box, whack a decent base and scope on it and away you go, then the Savage is for you. If you want something to build on over time, then the Remmy is certainly a better option, but only a fractionally better option.

If you can stretch to it a Tikka T3 Varmint is excellent out of the box. The stock isn't to everyone's taste but it is practical and works well off bags or bipod. Plus it has the detachable mag. Trigger and action are usually superb.

Nothing wrong with a 700 either but on the budget end, for me the stock would have to get changed immediately. I'm much happier when they are in an AICS or equivalent.

After owning a Ruger M77, a remington 700 and two Winchester Model 70s, i dont find the Howa to be "low end".

The first target is my howa right out of the box with an inexpensive burris scope and reloads built for a different gun. The rest of the targets are after a lot of practice, some mods to the gun and load development. I would say practice more than anything improved the groups. The Howa is a fine choice for "entry level" and a solid platform for changes when funds allow.

In my experience the only thing the Howa is on the "low end" of is pricing.
DSCN0027.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg

pleas dont get a remington 770. i understand its to be a lower end version and an entry level firearm but unless its just the couple that i handled its got the worst action ever, stiff yet really sloppy, and the fit and feel is awful. had that been the only rifle i ever handled with the remington name on it i would have swore of remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a 10/22 </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Or even a .22, no need to waste money on centerfire ammo if your shooting to 200yds. </div></div>

This is probably the best piece of advise you can get if you are just starting out and your max range will be 200yds. Some of the best shooters in the world learned with rimfires. If you can consistently hit a golf ball on a string at 200 then you are doing something.

I would buy a .22 cal bolt action and a weaver tac click here a 30 or 40 moa base. You will be way under budget and can buy a brick of ammo for next to nothing. By the time you decide you like it and have it figured out you could have saved (and researched enough) to get what suits you.

If I were in your shoes this is what I would do.

Good luck and have fun with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What you need, my friend, is a used Savage 10FP, a Bushnell 3200 10X scope, a mountain of ammo, a plan for learning and improving, and a place to go for help.

You already found the last one.
smile.gif
</div></div>

What he said, a Savage has a lot of bang for the buck at the entry level price point. This will be plenty rifle for you for a long time. Later on once you learn what you like and dont like you can move on without any regrets or do overs

Spend the bulk of your money and the glass.

a mosin nagant91/30 sniper clone can be built for less than $500. you an get a lot of trigger time because surplus ammo is cheap. it would be alot of fun to shoot.

My first precision rifle was a 700P in .308. Spent less than $850 NIB. Scope cost twice that (IOR 6x24), and it will shoot less than 1MOA with FGM Match 168gr. all day long. I don't get spending big dollars on .308 rifles just like I don't get spending $40K on a motorcycle. But some people like to do it. I get fit and finish - I have plenty of nice tools and rifles. I've shot with lots of guys who can't drive a $5,000 GAP any better than a good guy with a 700. I spend extra $ on bigger rifles and glass that reach farther.

If you are only going to 200 yds, you should listen to people steering you toward .22 or maybe a volquartsen .22Mag. That thing will also shoot under 1MOA.

If you are going to go longer, buy a Savage 110 used. They are $500 all over the place. Buy a $300 scope mentioned above (Burris, Super Sniper, Nikon (great warranty, great glass). Rings and base will get you to $1,000, and you are GTG. You'll sell it for $700 (minimum) if you decide to ditch it.

Pretty good rifle, and will go to 800 if you do your part. Handloads and a new barrel might get you out further.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuntinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your only planning on shooting 200 Yards I would go with something in 223.</div></div>

I take offense to that, LOL. A nice Remington 700 Tactical or Savage varmint model with fast twist and heavy bullets will definitely shoot 600 yards+.

Start with some Black Hills or similar reloaded match ammo until you get used to the rifle then you can move up to hand loading them yourself.

Good luck man.

Not long ago I bought a remington 700 sps tactical for $606 new including tax, then a EGW base $39.99 Burris tac rings $49.99, and a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40mm side focus 359.99. The gun shoots great. And recently I bought a take off pss stock for $210 which made it shoot even better. I think it's a great starter package $1055.97 without my stock. Plus the 223 is light recoiling and ammo is cheaper than 308 even more so when you reload.

My only issue with the Remington 223 is the slow 1/9 twist. I do belive they are talking about offering a 1/7 twist in the near future and I would hold out for that if thats the caliber you feel is best for you.

I picked up a FN PBR XP barreled action for $350. It comes with a 20 MOA rail, adj trigger, DBM and bottom metal. If you slap a Houge or B&C stock on it you can get into a nice rifle for $600. Spend the rest on good rings and a solid optic.

I know their has to be more of them floating around some where. CDNN was selling them awhile back. When I'm done messing with it I will probably trade it for a AR15.

I had a SPS Tactical for a while in .308. It was a great gun and held less than a MOA with a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40. I pushed it to 600yds with no issues all for under a $1000.

My first set-up that I have going right now is based on a M700 SPS TACTICAL in .308, Nikon MonarchX 2.5-10x44 illuminated mil-dot, TPS rings and base (steel), a Karsten cheek piece that I just bought from another SH member, a tactical knob by AZprecision (can find him here on SH also) and a Harris pod. With what I got going I'm at about $1650 not including what I've dumped for ammo.
This isn't the top of the line set-up maybe middle of the road? (what do you other members think?)
I'm just a rec shooter but, I love shooting. It's addictive!!
My reasons for picking this rifle is it will also be used for whitetails. (20 inch barrel in the woods seems easier to lug around than 26 inches but, just my preference)
DSCN1101.jpg

I'm in your neck of the woods and shoot up at Bluewater in Marysville. (they have 100 & 200 yard ranges and sometimes they open up for 600 yards but, mostly for LE) You also need to be a member or be with one and pay 10 greenbacks.

It's hard to beat a Savage for the money. They provide a lot of bang for the buck.

Lots of good advice here...especially about the Savage, good bang for the buck. I bet if you look in the "for sale" section you can find a good, used, custom built savage for a good price that would be a great gun to get into precision shooting with. I might even be able to talk to the guy for ya' and help you out
wink.gif

B

The Savage 10FP is quite a deal and can be had with a McMillan or HS stock. I liked my 10FP and have touched up a couple for customers. Most shoot well, some shoot really well.

JamieD,

If you buy the Remington 700 "Tactical" I suggest that you buy a HS Precision stock to replace the Hogue stock that's on it. The HS seems to be more stable if you want to put a bi-pod on it. I have one in .308 that is as effective at 400 yrds as my expensive custom built rifle. My Remington 700 LTR in .223 that eats the 400 yrd targets for lunch. The Savage 308 suggestion is an excellent idea. Putting a better stock on that rifle is also a good idea. Stay with the heavier barreled rifles. Harmonics and resistance to heat is better. Lighter contoured barrels will heat up fast and the accuracy will go out the window in protracted shooting sessions.

I'm a long way from being an authority on the subject. These are just some of the things I've learned by listening to others and experience.

You really need to be careful though once you start hitting those targets out past 400 or 500 yrds because the next thing you know, you'll be wearing one of those fuzzy green suits and reading ballistic reports. :)

Indiansinger

(again, by no means an authority, just repeating general advice i got given myself).

Got home from fire training and am pretty bored. So i thought this up. It's a very acceptable rig that'll get you started.

<span style="font-style: italic">RIFLE: Savage Mod 10 FP .308/.223 (Cost: $750~)
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FP
OR
RIFLE: Remington 700 SPS Varmint
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-varmint.aspx

OPTIC: Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40mm (Cost: $400~)
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-5-15x40-Elite-3200-Rifle-Scope-P8748.aspx

BASE: Evolution Gun Works 20MOA Base (Cost: $50~)
http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82&products_id=473

RINGS: Burris Signature Zee Rings (Cost: $40~)
http://swfa.com/Burris-Signature-Zee-1-Rings-P1306.aspx

TOTAL PACKAGE COST: $1240~</span>

Bout as low end as it gets mate. Remmy version is a bit cheaper but their factory tolerances have dropped so i'd steer toward the Savage to be honest.

If the sport isnt for you, pack up and move along and we'll all be glad you at least tried.
If you do get the bug and start chasing tighter groups, you can chop off the scope for a Viper PST or Elite 4200. Switch out the stock for something a little stiffer and start tightening those groups up.

Good luck mate! From one beginner to another it looks like we'll need it :p

I don't think in terms of Sniper this and Tactical that.

I think of long range accuracy capability. That's a whole bigger territory.

I think about what I want the projectile to do when it gets to that long distance accurate destination.

Do I want it to speak with terminal authority, or do I want it to ping the steel and slay the wily paperbeast? These criteria can allow for significant differences in implementation.

Finally, when it comes to ready-for-the-application, good-to-go-right-out-of-the-box, most accurate new gun, and Gee, I can afford that, think Savage...

Greg

An accurate .22LR and Super Sniper scope might provide you with more challenge than you want. Great, cheap practice for long range shooting.

As several folks have suggested, a Savage FP or a Remington 700 are both great options. Do some reading here on the Hide to learn about what's out there, and keep an eye on the "for sale" section. Some great deals pop up there, but they tend to go quick. If you have cash in hand and are ready to buy, you can really make out well.
If you are looking for something in a .308 and would like to buy new, here's a couple good options someone suggested to me:

http://www.snipercentral.com/rementrypack.phtml
http://www.snipercentral.com/entrypackage.htm

Both these packages have everything you need to get you started, and if you decide to upgrade (the scope, for instance) down the road, you can always sell or trade this one.
Between the 2, I personally go with the Remington due to easier resale and better availability of aftermarket parts.
For only $150 above your target price, you get a scope rings,base,bipod, and case (all things you would end up buying anyway).
Once you have your new "precision" rifle, remember: Don't be tempted to cheap out on the ammo. Buy good stuff and look into reloading.
You are exactly where I was a few months ago, and with the help of Sniper's Hide, you can soon be where I am now: Broke with some really nice guns & gear!LOL
Good luck and welcome to the Hide!

If you havent owned a rifle before get a .22
A big stonking great centrefire might sound great but no point wasting thousands of dollars on something you wont be able to shoot properly. A CZ452 and 3-9x Tasco scope will do you fine, even second hand.
I learnt to shoot on one for 4 years before my dad bought me my first big rifle (straight onto a Ruger M77 30-06). That was 2 years ago and now finally i'm getting myself a Savage .308 for real precision work.

If this isnt your first rifle then i'd say for sure, but if it is your first it's like you're jumping into the deep end. The very deep end.

Lots of advice on the remington 700, there is a lot of aftermarket parts for them. I think the 700 LTR is a good entry level rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you havent owned a rifle before get a .22
A big stonking great centrefire might sound great but no point wasting thousands of dollars on something you wont be able to shoot properly. A CZ452 and 3-9x Tasco scope will do you fine, even second hand.
I learnt to shoot on one for 4 years before my dad bought me my first big rifle (straight onto a Ruger M77 30-06). That was 2 years ago and now finally i'm getting myself a Savage .308 for real precision work.

If this isnt your first rifle then i'd say for sure, but if it is your first it's like you're jumping into the deep end. The very deep end. </div></div>

I agree with this. In my previous post, I made the assumption that Adam had some previous shooting experience. If I was correct, I stand by my recommendations. If I was not, then a .22 is definitely the way to start.
It's much easier to learn the fundamentals of shooting, mainly trigger squeeze and follow through, without the recoil and noise of a .308 if you're not used to it. It also allows maximum practice for minimal expense.
Since my leap onto precision shooting, I've bought 2 .308 bolt actions and a .308 semi auto. My latest purchase? a .22.

A Savage MkII TR for $389 (very tactical!)
Rimfire technologies 25moa base for $44 shipped
Used Burris Extreme Tactical rings for $35
Used Falcon menace 4-14 scope for $250
Used Harris 6-9" bipod for $40
Eagle Shooters'Stock Pack $35 shipped
Cheap drag bag from Ebay for $40 shipped
Mildot Master $20

Total package price = $853. If your budget is $1000, that leaves you enough left over to buy about 1500 rounds of very good .22lr ammo to get you started.
If you go with a setup like this and decide it's not for you, I can almost guarantee you will be able to sell it easily here on the forum and not take much of a loss.

<span style="font-weight: bold"> Adam: feel free to jump in any time. The more info you can give us, the better we can help you.</span>

Mmm definitley true.

Would you really need a 20MOA base on a .22? or a base at all?
If you dont want to spend $800 on a .22 you wouldnt have to. Easily make yourself a starter rifle for under $400, especially if you buy second-hand.

There is actually a MkII TR for sale right now in the EE for $425 shipped. Comes with a scope, rings and 4 mags.

You may or may not need the 25moa canted base on a .22 depending on how far you plan to shoot and how much elevation adjustment your scope has. Personally, for $40, I would rather start off with it than possibly find myself "maxed out" and have to add it down the road and then have to re-mount and zero my scope.

I'm certainly not saying the OP <span style="font-style: italic">needs </span> to spend $800+ on a .22. But if he's looking for something "tactical", and would be best served starting off with a .22Lr, this certainly fits the bill.

Oh definitley. If he wants tac then your build is the way to go, all i was saying was that you can go cheap with a .22
Rediculously cheap, i picked up an Anschuntz single-shot (i think its a 1500? not sure) for $100 AUD, with a wooden, padded case, scope and cleaning kit not long ago.
Pristine metal, wood and the lot. Needle accurate though the scope was s*** so i might get it re-mounted.

That's a sweet deal! Years ago, when I used to shoot competitively, I had a Anshutz 1913. That rifle was <span style="font-style: italic"> phenomenally</span> accurate (with irons). Some day I'll pick up another one and put a good scope on it, but right now, I really don't have that kind of $ to drop on a .22.

The OP still hasn't answered back yet, so we really just guessing at what he wants/needs. Some more info would be nice.