• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy looking for info and eager to learn about long range shooting.

Sailor

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2020
Hi everyone,
decided I need a new hobby so I like to get into long range shooting. Last time I fired a gun was about 30 years ago when I was in the military.
long time ago so I need to start from scratch. Just bought a Tikka T3 x TAC A1 .308 with a 20” barrel. (great package including a scope) Now I need to get some ammo and training. I live in Mechanicsville VA and have a hard time finding a range over 100 yards. I would also like to purchase say a 1000 rounds of .308 ammo to get going for a reasonable price. Any recommendations? Don’t need the fanciest round out there since I will be working on fundamentals at closer ranges (mostly 100 yards since I live very close to a range where I can get going at that distance)
I am also thinking of buying a Rimfire rifle for training so I don’t go broke on ammo. How do I get as close to the .308 as possible with a rimfire without breaking the bank? I appreciate any good advice.
Since I am new to this I am somewhat overwhelmed by all the info on this site and how to navigate through it all. I am slow if it comes to computers and this is the first time ever I am on a forum so forgive me if I don’t respond very quick.

Stay healthy everyone!

Reactions: The D and DustBun
Welcome from CO

Welcome aboard! Picking up my first Tikka soon too...

I like the idea of a Tikka T1X as well. Might want to consider whether you want to find what shoots well in your gun first too before going out and buying 1000 rounds of ammo for it.

Hi everyone,

... I would also like to purchase say a 1000 rounds of .308 ammo to get going for a reasonable price. Any recommendations? Don’t need the fanciest round out there since I will be working on fundamentals at closer ranges (mostly 100 yards since I live very close to a range where I can get going at that distance) ...

For 308 ammo I would suggest https://globalordnance.com/buy-one-...an-outback-308-win-165gr-sierra-sbt-gameking/

Although I’ve never used that specific caliber, all the 223 ammo Outback ammo have always shot sub MOA as long as I did my part.

Welcome aboard! Picking up my first Tikka soon too...

I like the idea of a Tikka T1X as well. Might want to consider whether you want to find what shoots well in your gun first too before going out and buying 1000 rounds of ammo for it.
I will certainly try several options before purchasing 1000 rounds. Any suggestions?

I will certainly try several options before purchasing 1000 rounds. Any suggestions?

Hard to say - buy a couple different 20 round boxes that come at a reasonable price and make sure it'll group though before buying 1K of them. It'd suck to be sitting on something your gun doesn't like and have a whole ton of them.