• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes new guy looking for scope advice.

Nwsako300

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
Matlock Washington
Hello everyone! I'm the new guy on the block to long range shooting. Or any shooting 400+ yards.

I have a weatherby 308 with 20" barrel. and I'm looking to extend my hunting range passed 400 yards. I've had to many missed opportunities in the past and now is the time to step up my game.

I'm looking at a few scopes but not sure which to purchase. Or if any are overkill for what I'm looking to accomplish.

The Leupold vxr and vx3 line of scopes with CDs, 3-9 or 3.5-10x40.
Vortex his lr 4-16 or hs-t in same power. I feel this is overkill for my particular rifle/caliber and average hunting style. Lots of reprod hunting and glassing clear cuts.
And the vortex PST 2.5-10, without side focus. I don't know how much I would need parallax adjustment under 700 yards farthest I would ever want to shoot at animals of any kind.

The scope will be used 80% on its lowest setting. But I want to be able to make that longer shot if/when it shows itself. 10 power is really all I'll ever truly need. And that is why I'm leaning towards the Leupold.

Go with good glass.
Most of your shots, I'm assuming deer or a relative, are still going to be <250 yards and at near dawn or dusk conditions. Light gathering is probably gonna be more important than magnification here. Have a look at the Swarovski Z5 line. A few more bucks but it will mean a few more bucks.
Seriously, I used to have Leupold scopes on my hunting rifles. My shooting buddy, who has a Swarovski would be counting hair when I could barely make out an outline in low light conditions proved it to me.

Go with good glass.
Most of your shots, I'm assuming deer or a relative, are still going to be <250 yards and at near dawn or dusk conditions. Light gathering is probably gonna be more important than magnification here. Have a look at the Swarovski Z5 line. A few more bucks but it will mean a few more bucks.
Seriously, I used to have Leupold scopes on my hunting rifles. My shooting buddy, who has a Swarovski would be counting hair when I could barely make out an outline in low light conditions proved it to me.

I never even considered low light hunting option when reading reviews on scopes. Thanks for bringing that into light. no pun intended haha