• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new guy question about mounts and bases

GStar122

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2010
OK, i've been searching but am still lost. The wife is buying me a Remington 700 sps v for my b day this weekend (first real bolt gun)and I'm lost on the scope mounts and base. I'll be stealing a Super Sniper 10x42 off my LAR-8 to get me buy at first. Its currently mounted on a Burris AR P.E.P.R mount. I was thinking about an EGW 1 pc base. Will this combo work out? If not any reccomendations to get me started would be apppreaciated.

Thanks
GStar122

Re: new guy question about mounts and bases

Badger does a make a great product, but they are on the high end. You can buy a EGW 20 MOA Base with some Warne rings and still have a good setup.

To note, I currently have Badger rings and base... Cry once right?

The PEPR mount may put the scope in a less than Ideal place on your 700, you'd be better off replacing it with a quality base and rings. As already mentioned, an inexpensive but good way to go would be an EGW base(20moa or not) and Warne rings or Burris XTR's. If you can afford it, get some of the upper scale components,Badger,NF,Seekins,ect. you'll never regret it.

Most of my shooting will be 100-300 yards at first. Will a 20 MOA mount give me any grief here?

Also, I guess if I'm going to need new rings what size should I be looking at?

Edited: 30mm I know.. but height wise?

You really won't need a 20 MOA base at those distances. If you ever decide to extend your range, the extra elevation might come in handy, especially if your scope doesn't have the elevation range in the turrets. It's better to have some play room at the closer ranges then be tapped out at the further ranges.

even for 500 yds a flat base is fine, the weaver is 18 at midway, warne low rings (40$)should work on a 42mm, save the $ for a stock, that is the first thing that will cause grief on the sps, by the time you buy badger base and rings you could have a decent B+C stock

Total drop for a 168 gr. 308 at 1000 yds will be close to 48 MOA. Does your scope have that much adjustment? If not, get the 20 MOA base. If you don't plan on shooting that far, then don't worry about it. Then again, the price difference between the two is not that much. Better to have and not need...

The 20 moa base won't hurt you at 100 to 300, but I'd say get it if you ever plan on playing out further.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">even for 500 yds a flat base is fine, the weaver is 18 at midway, warne low rings (40$)should work on a 42mm, save the $ for a stock, that is the first thing that will cause grief on the sps, by the time you buy badger base and rings you could have a decent B+C stock </div></div>

I agree with George in the fact that the sps varmint stocks are not great. B+C, Mcmillan, as well as H&S all make great stocks. by the end of this thread you might find your pockets a couple thousand dollars lighter...

might as well get the 20 moa base and be done with it. don't think there is any difference in price

There are many good options for bases and rings and you'll get just as many opinions when asking on here what to use. Set a budget and it'll really narrow the playing field.

I have had very good luck using Leupold Mk4 bases and rings on several different rifles. Shop around and they can be purchased at a very fair price. Never pay retail / list. Find them on-sale and it's tough to beat.

Classic example: Leupold Mk4 20moa base & 30mm medium steel rings.
700Pg.jpg

on a 700 I would stay away from 1 piece mounts. There is nothing wrong with egw bases (I use one on my savage and have had zero problems).
The general rule of thumb though is that you want to mount the scope as low as possible. On that 10x42 I would mount it in some low rings.