• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New guy w/ a few questions!

randeeak47

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2013
I am new to this site and I am wanting to get into shooting LR. I have a Romy PSL. Wich my wife loves more than I do! I am wanting to buy a bolt action in .308Win. What would be a good started bolt action w/ a heavy barrel at a decent price under 500$ if plauseable to get me started? Any help would be great!
smile.gif

Re: New guy w/ a few questions!

Under $500? I hear good things about the savage stevens on this site. Might want to look into it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: randeeak47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a certain model that I should look into? </div></div>

Im more of a Remington 700 guy, but I hear good things about the whole savage line. Theres a savage 11 on buds for under 500.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ...XP+308+BUSHNELL

Nice however I have my heart set my hear set on a havey barrel for some reason....

Sps tactical. I swear on everything I scored a guy at 600 yard fpr match Saturday. He had a 4.5x14 Nikon shooting 168 amax manufactured bullets. Dude shot a 546!!!

Remington SPS Tactical is just slightly over your 500$ budget, and will more than likely out shoot other rifles in that price range. Plus, it has a Rem 700 action for which the build possibilities are literally endless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duffy1298</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington SPS Tactical is just slightly over your 500$ budget, and will more than likely out shoot other rifles in that price range. Plus, it has a Rem 700 action for which the build possibilities are literally endless. </div></div>

As others have said...SPS Tactical is a great bet. Many options later on when you want to upgrade a stock, barrel, bolt, etc.

You may find a used one at a great price as well if you keep an eye out.

The SPS's stock almost needs to be changed immediatly.

If you plan to work on the remingtons action and barrel later down the road, good luck.

Also, the Savage 10 FP is about 500 and has a heavy barrel and accutrigger.

See you already made the decision on the Remington but will add another vote for a Savage such as the Model 10FP.

Topstrap

Another push for the Savage. Almost any model, as even the sporter barrel of my wife's Trophy Hunter shoots excellent!!

DK

I just can't see how a Remington is more superior over a Savage.

Especially with today's quality on things.

They aren't, Savage is in my opinion the better of the two straight out of the box. Both Savage and Remington are easy to upgrade, however, the Savage is a DIY project where as you may need the help of a gunsmith for the Remington.

i got my remington 700 sps tactical for 600 with shipping and ffl cost from grabagun.com its alittle more then 500 but its worth it

yeah, i'm a Savage guy myself. good shooting rifles with endless possibilties for changing calibers. lots of fun to work on.