• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new guy with a 300 win mag

getemduck

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2010
Well I just found this forum, lots of interesting reading here

But to the point I was wondering what powder some of you guys are running in your 300 win mags? I reload for my 30-06 and it like imr 4350 my 25-06 likes r19 but I'm picking up a new toy in the flavor of a 300 win mag and I'm searching for a starting point.

Thanks from the NEWBIE

Re: new guy with a 300 win mag

Depending on the bullets you use. I use RL22 for my 208 AMAX. My friend uses RL19 for 168 grains. Want to use slower burning powders for heavier bullets.

It all depends on the bullet weight you will be using. With the 180 to 190 gr. bullets IMR 4350 works well. I agree with DesertHK with 208 and 210 gr. bullets RL22 is a good choice.

Im using H4350 with 168 grain vld for hunting load with great accuracy. Case is not as full as I would like it but it is what I have on hand for now and it works so I will use it till I get some RL22 or some IMR4831

I use IMR4350, and RL22 for my .300 WSM. It will shoot great with either of those powders using 190 and 210 grain Berger VLD's. The RL22 is it's favorite.

My buddy uses H1000 in his .300 winmag Remington Sendero pushing the 180 Accubonds, and it's a tack driver as well.

As stated, it depends on the bullet weight. R22 is a top pick for any weight. But I prefer IMR4350 for the light bullets (150's), R22 for the middle weight and heavies. But for the heavies, I like H1000 and Retumbo. It will give you top velocities for the heavies, but not all rifles like the real slow powders.

Thanks guys, I think I'll pick up a pound of H1000 and a pound of r22 and see what happens. As for bullets I'm still on the fence, this will be my main elk gun so I'm looking at pushing either a 165Gr. or 180Gr. Scirocco.

h29zo99.jpg
This works for me.

I have used RL22 extensively, but recently began using H1000. Shooting 200g SMK's and 208 Amax's.

RL22 was temp. sensitive in my application.

H1000 is not quite as accurate (so far) but FAR cleaner burning, less abusive on the throat (borescoped) and seems to be less temp. sensitive than RL22. If I'm not mistaken the .mil spec'd H1000 for MK248 MOD1.

John

Well, just my .02$ worth. I had a bunch of National Match 173gr pulldowns laying around and a 300winmag I only shot when I could afford FGMM190. So I decided to try them out. I worked up a load with IMR4831(69grs),WW Super brass, Fed 215 and seated them just long enough to still work thru mag. Got 2868fps and 1/2-3/4" groups at 100yds. Tried it at 1000 with them and I couldn't be happier.Shoots great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crazy Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some good shooting! What brand name of the barrel are you running? Muzzle brake? I've got the Encore Pro Hunrwe rifle. </div></div>

It's the 28 inch T/C Pro Hunter barrel with no muzzle brake.

I am also new to the 300WM. Bought a 8lb of H1000,after doing some reading here. Thinking that by limiting reloading factors I can concentrate on skills first.
Sierrs 180HPBT,Win primers in a Nosler case stuffed with 77g of H100 is getting me 2 inch gruops at 300 yards.
Savage 110FP in a Bell and Carlson stock topped by a NightForce.
Just got a Hornady AOL gauge and a Chrono for Christmas and looking forward to a detailed shoot.
The Sierras #2220 where in stock and seemed to be as good a starting point as any. A couple of boxs of hornady 208 have been set back for later. My shooting range is limited to 400 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Provo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am also new to the 300WM. Bought a 8lb of H1000,after doing some reading here. Thinking that by limiting reloading factors I can concentrate on skills first.
Sierrs 180HPBT,Win primers in a Nosler case stuffed with 77g of H100 is getting me 2 inch gruops at 300 yards.
Savage 110FP in a Bell and Carlson stock topped by a NightForce.
Just got a Hornady AOL gauge and a Chrono for Christmas and looking forward to a detailed shoot.
The Sierras #2220 where in stock and seemed to be as good a starting point as any. A couple of boxs of hornady 208 have been set back for later. My shooting range is limited to 400 yards. </div></div>

New to Hand loads on my .300 win mag also.
How much powder is usually loaded with 180 gr bullets?
Does it vary widely between slow and fast burning powders?

Buy a Reloading Book for that paticular powder or bullet manfacter whose product you might be using. Also these companies have a phone number as to the brand name of powder you will be using. One brand name powder is not a fit all sizes of bullets. Play it safe and get a Reloading Book or call the powder manfacters. Be Safe.

C.Dog... Just bought the Hornandy book, came back and read your post

Thanks for the tip regardless.

Will do some serious reading tonight

I use H1000. Used to use RL22 but found it to be more temp sensitive than the Hodgdon Extreme line which H1000 is part of. I get the 208 AMAX to around 2950fps without a problem.

what are the main benefits for going with a 178gr projectile VS a 150? does the extra weight stabilize the bullet in cross winds ect.?
Wouldn't the extra velocity gained from going down to the 150 improve accuracy over distance?

sorry for the basic questions, but again fairly new to the science of ballistics

You will get more velocity with the lighter bullet but the BC of the heavier bullets will work better for you at longer distance past 1000.

Never shot the 178s out of the 300WM but a quick look on Hodgdon's reloading center would give you a good idea.

168 gr BTHP Hornady 168 gr moly 77 gr H4350, 3.34"

It chonos ~ 3020 fps with 24" barrels.

No pressure signs, long brass life.