new guy with a few questions

champ198

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
love the form lots of info here i want to say that first. want to say first that i am not new to firearms or rifles have been hunting and shooting since i was a kid. but as i have gotten older(32 now) im wanting to go longer and get better. have been reading a few posts on here about shooting skills but the question i have for you all is on rifles and also calibers.
i know everyone has their own flavors they like as far as rifles and calibers go. i will say i do like the Remington 700s. but i got rid of the last one i had last year in a trade for a family toy in a camper. now that im wanting to get back into some more shooting im in the search for a new rifle. being a family man i am on a budget. would like to spend around $700 at most for a rifle i know the optics are something that is another discussion. i know that Remington makes the SPS guns and are more of a price point gun but the bolt isnt as good as some in say a BDL and so on. and i know the stocks arent the best out there. something else i have found that really peaked my interest is i found a Tohmpson Center Encore. i really like the Encore platform with being able to swap barrels around for diffrent calibers very easily. but i dont know a lot about the Encores at all and thought i would get some opinions on that from you all.
also i am getting ready to buy my kids a 243 in a Remington 700 SPS jsut mainly because its a cheap gun they can use but will also be something i can shoot and have fun with as well tinkering with stocks and so on. any of you all shoot a 243 for distance.
again thanks for all the help and info in advance and this is a very good site and i hope ill be able to stick around and learn some from you all

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2008
whidbey island
Re: new guy with a few questions

wow brother keep reading here, you will find more 6mm's and 6.5mm winning tact matches than any other sizes i would venture to say. the 243 is a fantastic long range round especially with 115dtac bullets or 107smk's

desertHK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2008
AZ

Shooting my Remy SPS in 243 out to 800 yards. Have not gone further yet. Using the 105 AMAX and 105 scenars bullet. Very decent BC.

BobinNC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2009
Goldsboro, NC

Champ,

If your question is would a Remington SPS Varmint in .243 Winchester make an acceptable beginner LR shooting platform? I would say no.

That because the factory twist of 1-9 1/8" makes shooting match bullets of greater than 95 grains exceedingly difficult.

Really the 243 win shines in barrel with a 1-8" twist (for bullet up to 107 grains) 1-7" Twist for 115 gr DTAC's or Bergers. But factory 243's don't come built that way.

Rather, if you on a budget, the Remington SPS Tactical in 308 Win. makes vastly more sense. It an acceptable platform right out of the box. Yes, a new stock and trigger will make it a bit better, but improvements can come in time.

In short, for a beginner non-reloader contemplating LR practice on the cheap, a 308 Winchester is not only the best choice, it's really your only choice cost wise.

Good Luck,

Bob

USN_Sam1385

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Champ,

If your question is would a Remington SPS Varmint in .243 Winchester make an acceptable beginner LR shooting platform? I would say no.

That because the factory twist of 1-9 1/8" makes shooting match bullets of greater than 95 grains exceedingly difficult.

Really the 243 win shines in barrel with a 1-8" twist (for bullet up to 107 grains) 1-7" Twist for 115 gr DTAC's or Bergers. But factory 243's don't come built that way.

Rather, if you on a budget, the Remington SPS Tactical in 308 Win. makes vastly more sense. It an acceptable platform right out of the box. Yes, a new stock and trigger will make it a bit better, but improvements can come in time.

In short, for a beginner non-reloader contemplating LR practice on the cheap, a 308 Winchester is not only the best choice, it's really your only choice cost wise.

Good Luck,

Bob
</div></div>

+1> I would recommend .308 without a question. For $700 bones I would go with either the SPS Tactical, or one of the Savages.