• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Guy with a few questions

rikkitikkitavi

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2006
ohio
First I'd like to say howdy to everyone. I have lurked here on and off for a couple of years. I recently aquired a Rem 700SPS-AAC, on which to build a general purpose "sniper" rifle. I plan to send the bolt out for an oversized handle, and as this will be a 6-8 month project to complete the rifle due to $$ constraints, I would like advise on a stock.

I really like the look and features of the AICS chassis, but I have read that weight becomes an issue, how does it compare in weight to say an HS precision with bottom metal for DBM? THese are the two coices I am considering, I do not care for the Hogue.

THe other area I am not well versed in is glass, I had an elite 4200 10x on a savage and did not really care for its brightness. I am considering Leupold Mk/LR scopes and also Nikon but would like FFP, I am thinking 4.5-14 should be good as I will normally have ranges of 250-700m with the ocassional chance to try 1k.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Rikkitikkitavi

Re: New Guy with a few questions

New guy here and not trying to sound like a smartass but what is the purpose of an oversized boly handle.

And how do you like the AAC model? I have been eyeing that one

If your going to switch out the stock I would have purchased a regular SPS but that is water under the bridge.

At least get a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14 should serve you well.

Im not a AICS fan but some are. My suggestions would be to get your hands on one and shoot it before you make the purchase. Im a MCM A5 guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REM700MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your going to switch out the stock I would have purchased a regular SPS but that is water under the bridge.

At least get a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14 should serve you well.

Im not a AICS fan but some are. My suggestions would be to get your hands on one and shoot it before you make the purchase. Im a MCM A5 guy. </div></div>

Rem700, why do you say go with a reg SPS if you plan on changing out stocks? I am eyeing the AAc rifle and plan to do a stock swap, but if it is a bad idea can you explain why?

Regular SPS would be cheaper but if you are planning on suppressing it then the cost of having the regular SPS threaded and the fact that you can sell the Hogue for more than the flimsy SPS stock you are probable close to the same money wise.

+1 on the AICS - if you are comfortable with it.

You will not regret getting the AICS, the bottom metal and drop-in ability makes it well worth the price. I have the AICS 1.5 + 700 SPS Tactical and I couldnt be happier.

I love the AI but it fits me well. We are all built differently. Try as many different stocks as you can and see what fits you before spending a lot of money and finding out later that you like something else better. That's easier said than done though. Not everyone knows enough people with different types who are willing to let you try them but it is the best route if you can get it done.

Thanks for the replys, anyone who has an AICS ever compare all up weight to say an HS or Bell/Carlson tac stock? I would like to end up with a rifle I can still carry up and down the hills!

Not to mention shoot offhand if the situation dictates.

Thanks!

Well to be honest I always wanted an AICS because they looked cool. I then asked around and found out some love'm some hate'm. So my search went on and have always loved the look of a Mcmillan A4. I recently purchased one for 350 bedded and pillared and couldn't be happier. Added a Rad Tac DBM for 250 and my total was 600. I would have never imagined that I could pull something off like that.

The AICS is a hard deal to pass up when you can find them for 700 on here with a free floated barrel and a DBM. Many people don't like the weight of them, but then again they are mostly for prone/supported position shooting. Getting behind one would be your first thing. I've heard many people wanting one so bad and then eventually selling it because they didn't like it. Look around and get behind as many as you can it will be your best hope to find a high end stock you like.

I have a McMillan A5 and an HS Thumb-hole stock. I've shot an AI rifle and it was very uncomfortable for me. Keep in mind the trigger in an AI rifle is completely different than that of a Remington so that may play into it. The AI grip felt too skinny and too close to the trigger so my trigger finger went into the trigger guard to the second knuckle. It was somewhat of a struggle to pull my finger back and use just my finger-tip to pull the trigger. The rifle was a Tac-Driver!... Even with the uncomfortable grip, but I definitely didn't like the stock.

You need to get behind as many stocks as you can to find one that fits.