• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy with new gun questions

Cdog1157

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2014
New guy here with some rookie questions. I've always been an AR guy with a few AR-15's & an AR-10 but I'm about to get a Savage Model 12 LRP in 6.5cm. To start with I'm gonna take the Nightforce 4-14x56 scope off my AR-10 and use it on the Savage until I can get another scope (without the wife noticing) with more magnification. My question is what base and rings are you guys using? I've looked at the Ken Ferrell site (from reading on this forum) and noticed they have 2 different bases for the model 12 but doesn't really explain the difference between them. They also run from 0 moa to 30 moa in size. Also with the rings they have different heights from low to extra high. I'll mostly shoot at 200 yards and no farther than 600 yards (farthest the range has). Which base and rings would you guys recommend for that rifle at those distances that'll clear a 56mm objective. After the first of the year (tax time) I'll probably get something in the 5-25x50 range. Thanks for any help you can give.

I would suggest getting a 20 MOA base simply just because you never know when that opportunity may arise that you get to go shoot out to 1300-1400 yards and you want to dial for it. Any of the top manufacters are good to go for bases. Badger, Nightforce, Ken Ferrell, USO, etc etc etc etc.
As for rings, typically for bolt rifles you want the bore to center of optic ratio as low as possible. There is a 'sticky' over in the 'Rifle Scopes' Section on the main part of this forum that is called 'Ring Height Info - How to Measure Correctly.' After reading through there you should know exactly how to calculate your ring height, its basic math, nothing tricky about it.

+1 on getting a 20 MOA base, nothing to lose with getting one, and like mentioned if the opportunity comes to shoot at longer distance you will have that extra little bit of elevation if you need it.

I have a Savage 10FCP-k in 308 Win, and I went with an EGW 20 MOA HD base and Vortex rings. I got medium height rings, but I probably could have got their low rings. I have about 1/2" gap between scope and barrel, scope I'm using is a Vortex Viper with a 50mm objective.

New guy here with some rookie questions. I've always been an AR guy with a few AR-15's & an AR-10 but I'm about to get a Savage Model 12 LRP in 6.5cm. To start with I'm gonna take the Nightforce 4-14x56 scope off my AR-10 and use it on the Savage until I can get another scope (without the wife noticing) with more magnification. My question is what base and rings are you guys using? I've looked at the Ken Ferrell site (from reading on this forum) and noticed they have 2 different bases for the model 12 but doesn't really explain the difference between them. They also run from 0 moa to 30 moa in size. Also with the rings they havers than enough different heights from low to extra high. I'll mostly shoot at 200 yards and no farther than 600 yards (farthest the range has). Which base and rings would you guys recommend for that rifle at those distances that'll clear a 56mm objective. After the first of the year (tax time) I'll probably get something in the 5-25x50 range. Thanks for any help you can give.

I have a NightForce NXS 3.5-15x56. It's is more than enough for 200-600 yards. I have it mounted on a NF 20MOA rail with NF medium rings. I have an AICS chassis so adjustment of cheek rest is no issue. My rifle is a Rem 700 5R. MHSA did the assembly and mounting???fine job and excellent service.

FH

This isn't mentioned often but I'll mention it: it is my understanding that you want the scope to be reasonably close to center at the elevation / range you will be shooting at most. Do not buy too much +MOA in a base, if doing so will make you crank the scope all the way down for most of your shooting. Scopes are designed to be clearest and most parallax-free in their optical center. If you are shooting with the scope cranked to one extreme or the other, you will not get the best optical results. So if true, the question becomes, what is the furthest distance you likely be shooting? At what range will you most frequent shooting be? How much elevation range does your scope have? And how much elevation do you need to get to your max distance? Once you have decided on the best compromise, THEN buy a scope base with appropriate elevation boost for your shooting.

You can save yourself a few $$$ and not suffering any quality loss by getting seekins rings and base. They are not cheap, but they are not top top dollar like nightforce and badger, just as good in my opinion. The 56mm objective will likely require medium rings, but measuring for your rifle is the best way. There are plenty if informative sites and threads for that.
Get ready because after this you will likely be hooked on bolt guns and accuracy.

I will shoot mostly at 100-200 yards and I'm virtually certain I will never shoot past 600 yards so I'm gonna go with a 0 moa base & i think i'm gonna go with a Vortex HST with moa reticle. Waiting on the gun & scope to get here so i can measure for the lowest rings & start shooting. Bought the dies, 2 boxes of brass, H4350 & a few boxes of stock Hornady 140 A-max to play with starting out. I can usually find everything to reload locally without a problem except for primers, only damn primers anyone has is for large magnum pistol. Thanks for the replies.