• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy with SPS Tactical question

C-grunt

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2010
Peoria, Az
Hey guys Im new to this forum but not to distance shooting. Im definitely no pro so I am here to learn. This might get a little long to warn you.

Anyways I recently decided to get back into the precision rifle thing after a long break. I bought a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 as the base.

Now Im on a bit of a budget so upgrades will be spaced apart quite a bit. Right now its topped with a Mueller Tactical 8-25x44 scope that I got with another used rifle purchase.

I would definitely like to replace this with something nice. Shop by the house has a like new Leupold VX-3 3-10 power with mildots and target turrets for a little over 400 bucks.

Another thing to be upgraded is the stock. I actually kinda like the feel of the Hogue but it doesnt free float when using the bipod. Would trimming some material out of the barrel channel free float the barrel?

I am also gonna upgrade this as well. Either a used HS or a McMillan. I ran into Kelly McMillan at a restaraunt a couple months ago and he invited me to the shop. Maybe I can make friends there and get a good deal on a scratch/dent item. LOL

Anyways, what do you guys think I should upgrade first? Get the Leupold and trim the Hogue or get a stock and stick with the Mueller glass?

Thanks, Chase

Re: New guy with SPS Tactical question

The biggest problem with the SPS T is the stock.

It has a lot more problems then just touching the barrel. Houge does make a stock with a full length aluminum bedding block that would be 1,000 times better.

I just upgraded the stock on mine with a McMillan HTG and really like the way the grip is on the McMillan compared to the Houge. And I thought I liked the Houge.

Stocks are a personal thing and if you have a chance to go see the McMillan store I'd jump at it. It will really give you a chance to handle all they different styles and see WHAT FITS YOU! Not just what looks good....

As for the glass it kinda depends what you want. I just picked up a bushnell elite 4200 tactical 6-24x50 for 500 and it is a good deal at that price.

You can't shoot what you can't see, regardless of what stock is on it. Good glass is an absolute must for any long range precision weapon. It will produce better, more immediate results and give you a good foundation to build on.

Also, before you change the stock, I would consider a new trigger. It's not the "glam" pick but if you lurk around here long enough you'll learn just how crucial it is to have a quality trigger. Jewell makes fantastic triggers but they're pricey. Timney makes some very nice products in the $150-$180 range.

Then I think you can go for the stock. I just feel that those other two options will net better results than an expensive stock with a poor trigger and cheap glass.

A good cheap alternative to the hogue is the B&C light tactical stock, I have had an SPS Tact in it, an AICS, and McM a5. It shot about the same in all platforms.

not the best pic but here is what it looks like
DSC01667.JPG

I am in agreement with those above..

I have (2) Tacticals... one the SPS... the other the AAC Threaded..

I put the SPS in a HS Precision Fully Adjustable M24 and ran with a Super Sniper scope...

I can say the stock made a HUGE difference... It was more than just the feel of the stock as well.

My rifle LOVE Black Hills 175 match.... soo much that there is NO reason to change ammo.

The AAC went into a HS Precision PST -035 and also has a Super Sniper... it is just the same... a STUPID ACCURATE gun...

I really believe at the price point these rifles are set at that Remington hit a home run for those looking to build into a true rifle.

Matt. (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Having owned a Super Sniper before, I would definitely get one again, if I were looking for an economy optic for a budget rifle. They have a good reputation for being rugged and tracking correctly. Those two things have been hit or miss on Leupold scopes, going on the accounts of others here.

The basic HS Precision stock works very well for around $300.- and is a solid platform for a Harris Bi-pod. Blackhawk makes a good cheekrest to fill in until you get some more funds. What ever scope you get, I think it's real important to get an adjustable objective or side focus scope to help eliminate paralax at longer ranges. For the money, it's hard to beat the Rem 700 Tactical for accuracy. All the other changes mentioned by others are the fine touches to an excellent long range weapon.

Have fun.

Indiansinger

Welcome to the Hide!

I just "put together" an SPS. Every part of the build I got from members here on the Hide (rifle included). The only exception is the Eagle Stock Pack (I kept missing them, so I broke down and bought one new).
j6r8xt.jpg

I went with a B&C Medalist A2 stock, a EGW 20moa base, IOR 30mm low rings, a Wotac 4-14 scope, and Harris bipod. I kept the factory trigger and adjusted it to a very comfortable pull (making sure that the safety still works and that the rifle passes the "drop test")

If you are trying to stay on a budget, my suggestion would be to make a list of of all the things you want to do to the rifle, and then be on the lookout for deals. If the first thing to "pop up" is a scope, jump on it! If you find a stock you like for sale or trade, and the price is right, get it!
This is assuming that your current stock and glass are functional and will "get you by" for now.
Believe me, if you spend some time in the "for sale" section, you will eventually find what you want, and will save quite a bit of $, meaning you can end up getting better gear faster!

Also, if you end up considering a B&C stock, Midway has them on sale this month.

You can upgrade and still come in within reasonable cost. If you want to pop steel at long range, a good stock and optics are key IMHO. I also just finished my SPS T upgrade:

WoTac 4X14X50 SFP optic
EGW 0 MOA rail
Warne Rings
AZ Precision bolt handle
Pre - J Lock Rem trigger
B&C A2 stock
Harris Bi-pod
Wyatt detachable bottom metal

004-3.jpg

Guys...

How are the WOTAC scopes working out on your setups...?

I have been thinking of putting one on my SPS..

Thanks,
Matt.

I really like the Wotac. I have a Gen 5 on my Lr-308 and love it. The one on my SPS is a Gen. 4 that I bought used. I took the rifle to the range the other day and noticed that the recoil would sometimes knock the parallax out of focus. When I got home, I called and spoke to Matt Wonders. He told me that they did have a problem with a few of the early Gen.4s and offered to send me a brand new Gen 5 as a replacement at no cost, even though I was not the original owner! With service like that, I wouln't hesitate to recommend these scopes.
The overall quality seems very good for a scope in this price range. The glass is clear, the reticle is nice, they track well and hold zero, and Matt Wonders definitely stands behind his product!

Sorry to go off topic, maybe this should be in the optics section.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crockett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can upgrade and still come in within reasonable cost. If you want to pop steel at long range, a good stock and optics are key IMHO. I also just finished my SPS T upgrade:

WoTac 4X14X50 SFP optic
EGW 0 MOA rail
Warne Rings
AZ Precision bolt handle
Pre - J Lock Rem trigger
B&C A2 stock
Harris Bi-pod
Wyatt detachable bottom metal

004-3.jpg
</div></div>

Very nice setup. A DBM and bolt knob are next on my list as well.

The scope would be the first thing I would upgrade. I dont typcially recomend Leupolds, they have been around for a long time but they seem to be hit and miss. I like sightrons for the money they are a great scope.

C-grunt,

First welcome to the hide! I have not owned a Mueller but the first thing I would do is test you scope. As long as it tracks and the adjustments are repeatable I would run with that until funds are more available. If you do find you need a scope, the super sniper fixed 10x or 16x would be on my short list if this rifle set up is to be used for targets/steel. If you are going to be hunting, a variable may be in order and the Leupold would look attractive for that.

You will most likely need a base with some added MOA built into it, if you are to be shooting 600 and beyond. EGW is a good cheep option. They have 15, 20 and 30 moa bases available and there new heavy duty line are nice and worth the extra cash in my opinion.

My experience with two rem tactical’s (223 & 308) has shown they will shoot much better at distance with a proper stock. I have used Manners, McMillan, hs and b&c in the past and at one time or another they have found their way on the tacticals. Once bedded, you cannot see any difference on target between them. Bedding is not difficult and there are many threads on the topic here on the hide that will assist you if you are so inclined to do the work yourself to save some cash. I just skim bedded a HS pss stock on my 308 tactical and included the first ¾” to 1” of barrel, before the contour change, as well. The results were terrific and quite noticeable on paper compared to before bedding.

Midwayusa is running a sale right now on the B&C light tactical for just over 200 and they can also be found on ebay new or stockys at about the same money to a little less. HS is good too but runs a little more money on average. I do find the recoil impulse a little more enjoyable with the B&C’s larger rectangular recoil pad/butt configuration.

Don’t miss read me, McMillan and Manners are great stocks offering better options such as fit, strength, quality, feel and looks, but that is why they cost more.

For the money, I would recommend:
- Bushnell 3200 10x, SWFA Super Sniper, or Falcon Menace FFP scope(make sure you have good rings)
- B&C stock
- Timney or Rifle Basix trigger

I liked the stock too, but it is flexy. Until you replace it take a dowel or socket, wrap it in ~100 grit sandpaper and open the channel up a bit.

You can work on the stock trigger to make it lighter, but going aftermarket is a big improvement.

I would swap the stock and the trigger and then glass, unless you are unhappy with the scope.

The stock on mine felt nice being all squishy and whatever... however that is not really good for the rifle lol. I opened up the barrel channel quite a bit to where it would float, even under bipod pressure, and it did seem to help with consistency. The biggest difference I saw was changing the stock out though. I got a blemished HS precision with a bedding block for a steal and couldn't be happier with it.

I still have my old mil dot buckmaster on it and it shoots as well as I need it to. This is kinda my go to varmint rifle, so since it works, I probably wont even change the glass.

I absolutely hated the xmark (never tried the new model one) trigger that came on my sps. I don't think I could get that to break clean under 6 lbs. I have shot off the shelf handguns with much better triggers. BUT i did shoot it like that for a while and did ok. You can probably get hold of an old style 700 trigger and tweak it down to be very nice feeling if you are short on cash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys...

How are the WOTAC scopes working out on your setups...?

I have been thinking of putting one on my SPS..

Thanks,
Matt. </div></div>

Hey Matt,

Here is my range report over on SC:
http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33779

So far, the WoTac is meeting/exceeding all my humble expectations. I'm comfortable out to 500 with the 0 MOA rail.

regards
Steve

Hey guys thanks for the response.

As far as the Mueller scope goes, its actually a decent optic IMO. I definitely wouldnt compare it to the Leupold Mk4 I had on my last rifle, but it works. Plus I got it for basically free. So now that I know the Hogue is a no-go that will probably be the first upgrade.

For triggers I was looking at Timney as they are local and I have heard they will instal them for really cheap.

If you have a scope that works well for now (and it sounds like you do), I would make that your last upgrade, since that will most likely be your most expensive one. If your optic of choice is a Nightforce or higher priced optic, it may take you a long time to save up the money for it, leaving the rest of the rifle as-is in the mean time. You could change the stock and trigger a lot sooner for a lot less $ and then start saving for the glass.

i put my sps tactical in a mcree stock. it's a bit heavier, but no biggy. next upgrade for me, will be the trigger

Here is my SPS Tactical AAC-SD

just put it in the 2.0 AICS yesterday, trying to decide on optics Nightforce or Leupold

picture040.jpg

The mueller scope you have will work fine for now.

They have suprisingly good glass for the price point and th eCS from Mueller is top notch.

Get the stock first.
I put my SPS tact in the new Choate tactical stock, it is a very good stock and at an excellent price.
The B&C light tactical would be my first choice. About 225 bucks.
Put the rest of the money away and keep adding to it till you have about 800 available. By that time the PST's will be out, the wrinkles worked out and you will be much happier.

Believe me, I have gone the budget route and if done carefully you can get what you need at the price you need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a scope that works well for now (and it sounds like you do), I would make that your last upgrade, since that will most likely be your most expensive one. If your optic of choice is a Nightforce or higher priced optic, it may take you a long time to save up the money for it, leaving the rest of the rifle as-is in the mean time. You could change the stock and trigger a lot sooner for a lot less $ and then start saving for the glass. </div></div>

Yeah, I definitely dont see a Night Force in the future. I just dont get out to the range enough to justify that expense. If I was going to drop some serious coin on the rifle it would be for an Accuracy International chasis.

Ill be looking at glass in the 600 dollar range. But that wont be for a long while, unless I win some money. With the wife and I on a big lick to eliminate debt so I can move outts the ghetto, spending money on the gun is gonna be few and far between. Hell, the only way I got the rifle was because I got injured on the job and got a check. Told the wife next time I should really hurt myself so I can get a TAC-50. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coyotesniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Here is my SPS Tactical AAC-SD

just put it in the 2.0 AICS yesterday, trying to decide on optics Nightforce or Leupold

picture040.jpg

</div></div>

That rig is just crying out for a Nightforce!
Very nice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C-grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a scope that works well for now (and it sounds like you do), I would make that your last upgrade, since that will most likely be your most expensive one. If your optic of choice is a Nightforce or higher priced optic, it may take you a long time to save up the money for it, leaving the rest of the rifle as-is in the mean time. You could change the stock and trigger a lot sooner for a lot less $ and then start saving for the glass. </div></div>

Yeah, I definitely dont see a Night Force in the future. I just dont get out to the range enough to justify that expense. If I was going to drop some serious coin on the rifle it would be for an Accuracy International chasis.

Ill be looking at glass in the 600 dollar range. But that wont be for a long while, unless I win some money. With the wife and I on a big lick to eliminate debt so I can move outts the ghetto, spending money on the gun is gonna be few and far between. Hell, the only way I got the rifle was because I got injured on the job and got a check. Told the wife next time I should really hurt myself so I can get a TAC-50. LOL </div></div>

If money is really tight, You may just want to have the factory trigger adjusted to a more comfortable pull weight and save the $150-200 to put towards the stock. That's what I did and found it to be a big improvement.
Both the B&C and HS Precision stocks are very nice and both come with an aluminum bedding block and are very sturdy.
PSS and 5r take-offs pop up all the time in the "for sale" section, and you can get a pretty good deal on a basically "new" stock.
At the point that you start thinking about putting some money into glass, check out the Bushnell 4200 Elite Tactical. I just picked up a like new 6-24x50mm here on the Hide for $500 shipped, and everything about it is very nice. Add to that a good set of rings (TPS are really nice for the money) a swivel bipod and an anti-cant level, and it will go a long way towards
helping you get the most out of your rifle.
Lastly, you could always send the rifle to Short Action Customs for a little TLC. Mark seems to know how to squeeze every last bit of performance out of an SPS.
Look here: http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1978102#Post1978102

Just don't forget to save some money for ammo!
There's no point having a Ferrarri if you can't afford to put gas in it!

I have been slowly upgrading my first r700 over the last year. I started with a sps-v and bought the best glass I could afford. I ended up with a leupold mk4. I found a 5r take off ha stock and added a timney trigger and just today put on a wyatts dbm. Here it is.
ccfe7afa.jpg

Just for fun...

heres a little right up I did on the Hogue Stock...as well as some guys who did strengthen theres up.

I actually ended up filling the front of mine with a 12 inch piece of threaded rod and then a whole bunch of fiberglass bondo to help stiffen it but it would still flex.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post1953855

For what it is worth, my 5R (this year's production) came with an X-Mark Pro trigger set at a crisp 64 ounces (4 lbs.) by my RCBS Trigger Pull Gauge (spring scale). I was able to bring it down to about 58 ounces with the "user settable" screw all the way out (removed from the rifle).

I took the rifle out of the stock and adjusted the trigger pull weight to about 2.5 pounds. As far as I could tell, there was no sealant on the screw. I did not mess with anything but the weight of pull. I put the action back in the stock, reinserted the user settable screw, and adjusted the weight to about 2 pounds 14 ounces, and then checked it to see that the rifle would be safe. For my $0.00 investement, I'm happy with it.

If you don't know which of the three screws on the trigger assembly control the weight of pull, over travel, and sear engagement, the information is around, or a knowledgeable gunsmith should be able to do it for you. If you don't have a trigger pull gauge, I recommend buying one. You can use it on more than one firearm. Of the ones at the following link, I'd probably go with the Timney, just because it goes high enough to measure my competition legal trigger on my NRA service rifle. My old RCBS gauge only goes to 72 ounces.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#trigger%20pull%20gauge____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

For what it is worth and your mileage may be different.