• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new here and looking for some advice

shiftin10

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2011
virginia beach va
Hello everyone.
Im new to the forum and looking for some advice. I want to start looking into my first long range setup. The catch is I want it to double as a rifle I can use hunting deer. I was thinking of a Remington 700 in 308 but have also been looking at alot of custom builders. I know there is no comparison from a 700Remington heavy barrel to a custom gun but am trying to figure out which is more suited for a first or rifle. Also how out of the question is it for a guy to put together his own rifle I have done alot of basic gunsmithing but never anything having to do with precision setup. Any advice will be greatly appreciated tuxedo.

Re: new here and looking for some advice

If your thinking about going with a box riflr I would not leave a salvage out of th equation.

A&P Lynnhaven had a .308 5R Milspec in stock less than 2 weeks ago. Remington's factory varmint barrel profile is a bit less in diameter than most customs. A nice, accurate long range gun that you can hunt with as well (but still heavier than a "hunting" rifle).

Depends on what type of hunting you are doing. If you are doing a lot of hiking, climbing, you want to keep her light for sure. I just finished my Savage .308 project and I want to use the gun for both Hunting and long-range tactical shooting. I have to be honest though, now that she's all put together, I'm not sure I would want to carry this thing around for extended periods of time on rough terrain. After you add the scope and a good after market stock, the pounds and ounces really add up!

Look through the posts from the last week or so. There are allot of posts about combo hunting/tactical rifles, dual-purpose rifles, do you hunt with your tactical rifle, I am new - what rifle should I look for type posts. Many of these may have discussion and comments you find useful......

I think that if I were starting over and wanted a hunting/LR target rifle I would look for a 7mm-08 varmint/bull barrel. Better ballistics than 308, should be easy to find decent hunting ammo, easy to load for, brass is easy to find, lots and lots of hunting and target bullets, low recoil, and plenty effective on deer or smaller critters...

YMMV

PS - welcome...

Just get one build from the way go and be done with .
You will not look back.
Bay ones and cry ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldfront</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get one build from the way go and be done with .
You will not look back.
Bay ones and cry ones. </div></div>

Is this typing with an Austrailian accent or are you just Really bad with grammar?

Thanks for the responses. Weight isn't really an issue I just walk into the couple places I need the range for. How out of the question is it for me to buy my action, barrel, trigger, and stock separate and put together my own gun?

Ha. What's grammer?<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K41</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldfront</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get one build from the way go and be done with .
You will not look back.

Is this typing with an Austrailian accent or are you just Really bad with grammer?

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kacy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the responses. Weight isn't really an issue I just walk into the couple places I need the range for. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">How out of the question is it for me to buy my action, barrel, trigger, and stock separate and put together my own gun?</span></span> </div></div>

No need for that, especially since you're a noobie and don't have the knowledge or tools to put one together yourself. Buy a new Rem 700 mil-spec 5R, mount some decent optics, and shoot a few hundred rounds thru it. By that time, you'll know what <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #990000">YOU</span></span></span> want/need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha. What's grammer?<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K41</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldfront</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get one build from the way go and be done with .
You will not look back.

Is this typing with an Austrailian accent or are you just Really bad with grammer?

</div></div> </div></div>

Ummmm, I meant to do that!

Nice catch!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kacy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the responses. Weight isn't really an issue I just walk into the couple places I need the range for. How out of the question is it for me to buy my action, barrel, trigger, and stock separate and put together my own gun? </div></div>

Not out of the question, but you'll need a lot of knowledge and machining experience.

If you're dead set on a custom build like that, you should get one of 3 Remingtons:

1. 700P - 26'' normal barrel
2. 5R - 24'' normal barrel
3. VLS - 26'' heavy barrel

And modify the hell out of it. You better get to know your gunsmith well though.

Ok so the basic consensus is buy a box rifle and shoot it to find what im comfortable with then buy a better rifle. So the question now is can I get 1000 yd accuracy from a box rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: limitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kacy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the responses. Weight isn't really an issue I just walk into the couple places I need the range for. How out of the question is it for me to buy my action, barrel, trigger, and stock separate and put together my own gun? </div></div>

Not out of the question, but you'll need a lot of knowledge and machining experience.

If you're dead set on a custom build like that, you should get one of 3 Remingtons:

And modify the hell out of it. You better get to know your gunsmith well though. </div></div>

Dont listen to this guy. Buy a factory rifle and shoot the shit out of it. You will then figure out what you want in a rifle. Good luck. And by the way, read more than you post here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kacy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so the basic consensus is buy a box rifle and shoot it to find what im comfortable with then buy a better rifle. So the question now is can I get 1000 yd accuracy from a box rifle? </div></div>

It will most likely outshoot your ability. Once you can outshoot the rifle, step up.

Yes, you can get 1000 yd accuracy from a factory rifle. But, you'll need good optics, good ammo, and a lot of trigger time to do it. Then, when you feel that you've gained the skills to surpass the accuracy potential of your rifle, have your rifle rebuilt with a premium barrel and stock/feeding system of your choice.

If you are just starting out I would stay away from piecing together your own rifle. Too many details that the factory or a smith would take care of for you.

If you are really looking to go to 1K then I would recommend to go Rem 700 5R. Accurate out of the box, decent, rigid HS stock, will be good to 1K using match ammo (FGGM 175 SMK). You can find FGGM for +/- $20/box if you do not reload yet. At +/-$1000 it is a bit more expensive that a varmint but they are consistently good (and sometimes great) shooters.

This is the way I started and it worked for me.

kacy,

Can't add much to the excellent advice regarding a box-stock 5R as a base rifle, "shootin' the fool out of it", then rebuilding. For an OTS rifle, a 5R is tough to beat.

I will add something:
If you have an idea what you're after, there is another consideration. Depending on your budget, there are some great deals to be had on some proven customs in the "For Sale" section. I have also seen 5Rs listed. But regarding customs, if you don't know if you want an HTG, A3-5, A-5, AICS, or other "alphabet" stock, start with the Rem 5R - you won't go wrong.

Next step: Optics
Read the "sticky" notes - another great source of info for base/rings/optics.

To reiterate: Read, read, read. If you have a question, try a search - it's probably been asked before. There is a wealth of info from some very knowledgeable folks on this site.

BTW, I hunt with my .308 GAP tac rifle, as do a host of others on this site.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: limitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kacy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the responses. Weight isn't really an issue I just walk into the couple places I need the range for. How out of the question is it for me to buy my action, barrel, trigger, and stock separate and put together my own gun? </div></div>

And modify the hell out of it. You better get to know your gunsmith well though. </div></div>

Dont listen to this guy. Buy a factory rifle and shoot the shit out of it. You will then figure out what you want in a rifle. Good luck. And by the way, read more than you post here. </div></div>

That's fine and dandy, but OP specifically stated he did not want a factory rifle. He wanted something he could modify, and those 3 Remingtons provide the best base to build on.

Especially the 5R, or are you going to disagree with me there as well?