• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing new here and new to the world of gunsmithing

jnglroost

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2013
hey guys im wanting to get into gunsmithing. there arent many in my area as a matter of fact there is only one. hes a nice guy but far too busy too ask questions (6 months behind and 50 miles away). so here i am looking for a point in the right direction. actually looking for a place to start such as education,tools? Id really like to build my own precision shooting rifle but dont have any idea where to start looking for parts or what parts to use?

help please

Assuming you're talking about precision bolt action rifles, the parts, and where to get them will be the easy part. Don't know what experience you have with machining, so what I say is based on you not having any experience. AGI has a two series of videos instructed by Darrel Holland. The first is for lathe set up and operation, and the second is for the mill. They don't teach gun work, just very good basic introduction to machining. They are very expensive, but can be rented. I would do something like this first before investing in any machinery. There are also many informative posts on here by guys that do it very well for a living. Some do it to share their knowledge, and others do it to boost their business. Either way, it helps those wanting to learn how to. It can be fun, but expensive for sure. Welcome to Snipers Hide, and Best of luck.

Last edited:
If there aren't any good gun shops try to find a machine shop to learn in so you can apply your skills to firearms as you go.

Your local tech school should have a class on this. You will know after a 10 week class if it's for you or not.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step"...boy, are you in for a trip. There is a good source of info with the "Video truing a Remington 700" sticky in this forum. Finding parts and sources will come as you learn more about what you're doing, but time and dedication is what you'll need to develop the machining skills, understanding and appreciation of what precision really is.

+1 for going thru a tech course, machine tool technology.

Good luck.

Ask STR if you can live in his garage and help him finish his house in trade for lessons from the master :)

Haha, we want the guy to learn properly, don't we. I'll just mess him all up, and he will learn all kinds of bad habits. Some will have nothing to do with gunsmithing either.

There are a lot of people that get into gunsmithing only to find out it's not the glory they expect. It takes a long time to develop a name, clientele, experience before you start making money and if you've got a family to support, it's only that much more stress.

Also, people think they can go to school and magically become a gunsmith....not so easy. If you're not very well mechanically inclined, this isn't the job for you. To even consider this career, you should already have some background as a machinist, be the guy that has a shop at home to work on cars or any home project, have some welding skills etc.

Simply put, if you want to do this because you think it would be cool, rethink the career move. On the other hand if you're the go to guy for your friends and neighbors home, hobby or vehicle projects and are OK with taking several years learning the trade before venturing out on your own, it's not a bad choice.

I was a gunsmith for a while and had more opportunity than most for machinery, tools, instruction etc. and still struggled to make ends meet. When the opportunity came along to switch careers and not worry about money, I took it. I still smithed for friends and referrals but never got back into the trade publicly. When business is good, its very good but when it's bad, it's almost zero.

There are a lot of people that get into gunsmithing only to find out it's not the glory they expect. It takes a long time to develop a name, clientele, experience before you start making money and if you've got a family to support, it's only that much more stress.

Also, people think they can go to school and magically become a gunsmith....not so easy. If you're not very well mechanically inclined, this isn't the job for you. To even consider this career, you should already have some background as a machinist, be the guy that has a shop at home to work on cars or any home project, have some welding skills etc.

Simply put, if you want to do this because you think it would be cool, rethink the career move. On the other hand if you're the go to guy for your friends and neighbors home, hobby or vehicle projects and are OK with taking several years learning the trade before venturing out on your own, it's not a bad choice.

I was a gunsmith for a while and had more opportunity than most for machinery, tools, instruction etc. and still struggled to make ends meet. When the opportunity came along to switch careers and not worry about money, I took it. I still smithed for friends and referrals but never got back into the trade publicly. When business is good, its very good but when it's bad, it's almost zero.

This is good advice/info for anyone seeking a career in any type of gunsmithing. seanh didn't even give you all the details because I'm sure he doesn't want to sound like the black angel of death. I too went down this road, and like him chose to abort mission in time to save my self. Yes there are many (not really that many) that make a living at this, but sit down with them and talk. You'll find out how hard it really is. Things to consider are, how much money is important to you, and how fast? How much of your life's time are you willing to sacrifice to find out if you have what it takes to make the name? How much money do you have to get started, as it require a bit initially.

Consider that you would be competing with guys like Chad Dixon who owns and operates 10 million dollars in CNC machinery, and has a life time of machining experience under his belt. Like him there are a few others too. However, if it's your lifes dream, we do live in the country that offers the best oppourtunity to be anything you want if you are willing to work your ass off for it like all the guys who have made it big in this business. My hats off to all of them, and best of luck to you, or anyone wanting to try.

Go for it. Cash in that useless 401, get a big loan against your house, buy every gunsmith tool in the Grizzly, PTG, GreTan and Brownells catalogs, a big Snap-On tool chest, get a cool website, sponser Snipers Hide and kick back and enjoy your millions. Easy Smeezy. :D

Go for it. Cash in that useless 401, get a big loan against your house, buy every gunsmith tool in the Grizzly, PTG, GreTan and Brownells catalogs, a big Snap-On tool chest, get a cool website, sponser Snipers Hide and kick back and enjoy your millions. Easy Smeezy. :D
LMAO
The best way to make a million is to start off with 2 million and cut your losses when you hit 1 million. Kidding aside, like the others have said, it's a tough road but you can make it if you have the drive to hang in there til you get known.