• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New Hermes engraver

Swampers555

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2013
La
I have been trying to find one, but they make so many different kinds. Is one any better than the other or will they all work for engraving rifle caliber in a barrel.

Some are huge, some are about perfect. I use one but had to make a plate for the barrel to rest on. Mine is one of the larger ones that requires 3 separate adjustments for the letter size and location. I think its a little too big and it is heavy as hell. There is a smaller one that a friend uses that is about perfect. Sorry I don't have the model number of his. But there is a web site for New Hermes and they have a store location here in Ga.
Hope that helps,
Bill

Heres the one I use, works great for my needs.... This model is motorized but I also use a Diamond bit and can trace/scratch what I want on the barrel without using the motor.

Thats where I got mine with 6 diff font styles included and some misc parts, micrometer stop, etc $450 for all...... Just keep watching and shopping..... Mine is model
M-II if that helps further

Mine is just about like the one pictured but it will hold two rows of font. Sorry I don't have the model number handy.

Gary

here is a pic of mine, and the blocks i made to hold barrels and actions. i made them out of uhmw. i have TONS of new hermes stuff.

IMAG0389.jpg

Mine's the same size as cigarcop's, but is a bunch older. It came out of the local jewelry store, along with several fonts. No idea how old it is, since the old couple who owned that store were very elderly when I was a kid back in the '60s. When the last owner of this store sold out, our high school bought the New Hermes & fonts for a song, intending to use it to engrave their own trophies, or so I was told. When I went in to ask about purchasing it from them, they were so glad to get rid of it that they just gave it to me.

While I'd love to have one like hero's machine, this old one works far better than the results I had trying to stamp bbls.