• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns New High Capacity .45

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I just wanted to pick everyone's baron a little bit. Let me know your opinion on a good high capacity .45. I am looking at the FNX-45 tactical. Love it. My father has one and it runs great. It's hard to beat 15+1 too. The downside is its hard to find mags.

I have also considered the G21.

I currently own a Colt Rail gun and a G17. Just looking for that big bore in high capacity. Any suggestions?

I've got a g21sf and a Gen 4 g21 and they are my choice. Mags cheap and everywhere.

I've had an FNP 45 USG, not the tactical, that would not run 230 gr. ammo reliably because the inside diameter of the magazine was too small. It would run 185 gr. ammo pretty reliably, but it really bothered me that it wasn't totally reliable with the ammo that I prefer to shoot, and that is most common where I'm at, far and away.

I currently have a Gen 4 Glock 30, and love it to death. It has a nice trigger, is super reliable with all ammunition I've tried, cost quite a bit less than the FN, and I can find holsters, mags, etc. for it easily. I do have some experience with the G21 as well, and they are just as good as the G30's I've shot.

Just my two cents.

Justin

I had a new FNP-45 tactical that I had the hots for, what I got was a hot hand ( a kaboom ) and my new gun went back to FN for repair. The FNP had some minor issues with the unsupported chamber and a magazine design change that is now the FNX so they fit but are not interchangeable. I got my gun repaired and promptly sold it in favor of my HK.

FNP Kaboom-

Well I had a kaboom in my new FMP-45....

The FNX guns ( .45) seem to have more magazine issues.

FNX more mag problems-

FNX 45 Tactical mag problems and follower wear spots...anybody have these problems?

Although minor in comparison to the FNP its bad to hear of their new designed FNX having mag related issues. FN has a horrible track record for making magazines available to purchase. In my case the FNP was discontinued and I had a brand new gun that was discontinued and few mags available. If you do decide to buy a FNX get as many mags WITH the gun as possible and do not count on them appearing down the road.

My old FNP Tactical-

My current .45 tac gun- HK all the way

I would say ANY HK pistol you will be able to find mags today . tomorrow or next year because they actually make them and lots in the field. FN really is emerging in the handgun market but has no where near the civilian support level Glock, HK, S&W or several other manufactures do. Adding insult to injury I had to send the FNP back to FN on my dime.

Personally FN pistols are on my "avoid" list until they get their crap together.

This is my FNP Tactical, runs great I have had no problems with it and picked up a couple more mags at a local gun show a while back.

IMG_20130215_151123_598[1].jpg

I have an HK-45c and an M&P 45 with thumb safety. I like the HK-45c. It returns to point of aim after recoil consistently better than my 1911 and it pretty accurate. I got my dad an M&P and I loved it so much, I bought one for myself.

When I was first looking for a plastic pistol to shoot suppressed, I read an article by Hilton Yam in which he gave the edge to the M&P on consistently returning after recoil ("tracking," he called it). I bought the more accurate plastic pistol (the HK-45c). My dad didn't want to spend over a grand, so I got him an M&P. Apex makes a kit called the "Forward Set Sear" that makes the M&P have a 1911-like trigger. So you end up with a gun that shoots a lot like a 1911, but has a 10-shot capacity with normal mags (14 with the extended mags). Out the door, I bought the trigger kit and an improved extractor from Apex (not really necessary on the 45 model) for about $200. The gun itself cost me $540, so for $750, I have a gun that feels more familiar to me that the HK-45c and is all American.

Now here is the bad. The second M&P that I bought for myself has ejection issues (even after I dropped in the Apex extractor). It is not as accurate as the pistol I bought for my dad. Bottom line, the M&P is a great gun with wide variances in performance from gun to gun.

The HK-45c was all good and functioned well. I was happy with it, but I will say it is freaking massive and this in the compact model. I can't imagine how big the full size is.

Now here is a thought. If you want high capacity and a round that is stronger than a 9mm, how about an M&P in 357 sig. They are hard to find, but you can get a .40 and throw in a Storm Lake 357 sig barrel. With a standard mag, it will hold 15+1. It has the power of the 45 ACP in a smaller capacity in a cartridge that feeds well and is accurate. If you reload and don't want to buy another setup for 357sig, then the M&P45 is not a bad choice. I got to feel a Glock 21 this weekend. I thought the grip was incredibly comfortable, but the "Glock hump" was a bit annoying. I did not get to fire it, but I imagine reliability is what you might expect from Glock. I can't speak to accuracy.

I finally picked up my FNX 45 Tactical 2 weeks ago. I've put around 250 rounds through her so far and not one issue. Smoothest handgun I've ever shot I love it.

I've had no problems with my FNP 45 tactical and would highly recommend one.

^^ This ^^ +1. I don't think there's a better value in a high-cap .45. I've found my FNP45 USG to be very accurate, reliable and a real pleasure to shoot, from the very first range trip on. I'm a big fan of the FN pistols overall, I think they're kind of a hidden gem in the modern polymer pistol world. If I wasn't already so heavily invested my M&Ps I'd have seriously considered the FNX9 for EDC.

I'm really digging the Glock 21 with the GEN 4 texture. I won't go as far as to recommend one yet. The FNP/FNX are certainly nice pistols. They are very large, I am not a fan of the DA/SA setup. And there was some issue with the FNP magazines not being large enough to accept all types of 45 ammo. YMMV.

I was initially turned on by the cocked & locked option of the FNP/X, but I find it's not something I like on modern designs. Even the M&P 45 with the thumb-safety was a major disappointment.

I would be REALLY interested to see how an FNP/FNX would work with a Raven Vanguard II in Appendix position?

TTR

FNp or FNP. These guns have amazing DA/SA triggers. I have the HK45 but the trigger is not near as nice and only holds 10 plus one. G21 is nice, but its another Glock. FNX is solid. However, I just read a few too many post with people not happy with FN customer service. Got to throw a caution flag on that.

Last edited:
ColdBore,

I like my Glocks, but they work for me. I've had good luck with my G21SF, G30SF, G36. I agree with those about their FN pistols. I don't own one, but have shot them in .45 a number of times and they put out a good pistol for the money. I'm not an HK fan, but it IS a good pistol. It's just a pistol I don't like the feel of, so go behold and shoot one yourself to see.

One I'm somewhat surprised nobody has mentioned is the Springfield XDm. I think the XDm is far better pistol than the first XD series of pistols. I think the texture on the frame is better, ergonomics are better, lower center gravity/bore axis and trigger improved.

Someone above mentioned the Sig P227, and I'd be curious to hold one, but I LOVED the P220.

Ultimately you have to decide, what fits your hands, and better yet, which one do you enjoy shooting more? Any that have been suggested are fine quality firearms!

-G45

ColdBore,

I like my Glocks, but they work for me. I've had good luck with my G21SF, G30SF, G36. I agree with those about their FN pistols. I don't own one, but have shot them in .45 a number of times and they put out a good pistol for the money. I'm not an HK fan, but it IS a good pistol. It's just a pistol I don't like the feel of, so go behold and shoot one yourself to see.

One I'm somewhat surprised nobody has mentioned is the Springfield XDm. I think the XDm is far better pistol than the first XD series of pistols. I think the texture on the frame is better, ergonomics are better, lower center gravity/bore axis and trigger improved.

Someone above mentioned the Sig P227, and I'd be curious to hold one, but I LOVED the P220.

Ultimately you have to decide, what fits your hands, and better yet, which one do you enjoy shooting more? Any that have been suggested are fine quality firearms!

-G45

Thanks for all of the advice everybody. I am going to go hold them all. I just wanted everyone's opinion. I forgot about the XDM. Thanks for reminding me. I will check out the m&P as well.

I'm a whore. I like my H&K tactical. My mom out shot everyone in CCW class with it. My next hicap gun will either be an H&K or a STI 2011, or a Brazo's custom. Best advise is go handle them all and see what suits you. My mom still claims my H&K, she lets me shoot it once in a while, sniff,sniff....

FNp or FNP. These guns have amazing DA/SA triggers. I have the HK45 but the trigger is not near as nice and only holds 10 plus one. G21 is nice, but its another Glock. FNX is solid. However, I just read a few too many post with people not happy with FN customer service. Got to throw a caution flag on that.

FWIW: All the reports I've read and my personal experience were the exact opposite. I called them shortly after purchasing my FNP45 because I had a few questions and wondered if the ambi slide stop lever was performing properly. A tech called me right back and took the time to answer all my questions and talk me through the issue (it turned out to just be a question really...) with the slide stop lever. I didn't have to send mine back but the reports I've seen from anyone who did were all positive; as always YMMV.

Last edited:
H&K USP45 Tactical w/ UTL sits on my wife's nightstand every night when I leave for work...I absolutely adore that gun and have the utmost confidence in its ability to do what it needs to when it needs to in my absence. H&K has renowned reliability and it's a pleasure to shoot, I took it out to a local bowling pin match for shits and giggles; shot my best time ever with it and broke my own record (I usually shot a customized Dan Wesson 1911).

Admittedly the UTL is a bit outdated and bulky, but it REALLY helps with muzzle rise/flip. Additionally, Insight Tech. makes (I installed) an led conversion kit that puts it a short and curly away from being on par output wise with my tlr1.

Last edited:
For a doublestack fullsize 45, I don't think it gets any better than a G21, or perhaps G21c. However, I like Glocks and I like the manual of arms for them.

Aside from checking the ergonomics of the available pistols, you need to consider the action and operation you desire. Do you want a single action? Double action only? Single/double? Striker fire?

Personally, I like a trigger to be exactly the same from first shot to last, and the Glock delivers that with perfection.

The Glock 21 is a nice hi-cap pistol, runs well with or without a can as well. Mine has run as flawless as my HK pistols and the magazines are 1/2 the cost.

just a note that any of the HK pistols mentioned can be had in a variety of trigger configurations. one of which is the LEM version, which keeps the trigger pull the same for all shots, if you are interested in the consistent trigger pull argument.