• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New high power Nightforce NX8?

"Same glass" means absolutely nothing. That's what marketing people say when they need to give a vague answer.

I suspect ATACR is a better optimized system design.

Ilya

That’s why I keep pointing out that it will not be the same as the atacr in performance despite what people say. Beyond the physics/design aspect, the business side says don’t undercut the atacr

That’s why I keep pointing out that it will not be the same as the atacr in performance despite what people say. Beyond the physics/design aspect, the business side says don’t undercut the atacr

Having compared the NX8s to ATACRs at the NRA show, even inside the building I could see that the ATACR is still better. I would find it unbelievable to think that they intentionally held the NX8 back so it wouldn't undercut the ATACR. What I can see is how you just won't get the same performance from an 8x erector in a smaller package as you would from a 4 or 5x erector in a larger package.

Reactions: RS14
Having compared the NX8s to ATACRs at the NRA show, even inside the building I could see that the ATACR is still better. I would find it unbelievable to think that they intentionally held the NX8 back so it wouldn't undercut the ATACR. What I can see is how you just won't get the same performance from an 8x erector in a smaller package as you would from a 4 or 5x erector in a larger package.

I am not meaning to imply they would intentionally reduce performance. But I believe they were trying to hit a price point and one of the ways to control price it is to change expectations of performance.

Reactions: JMS904 and phlegm
This thread is not helping. I’m still trying to make my mind up between a few scopes and now this happens.

Was keen on a Cronus but found a well priced Stryker HD 4.5-30 and was all “whoop whoop!!” ....

Night force has a lights out reliability history. Not saying vortex is not good but don’t think it has same level respect.

I wish they had a 3-18 version of that

I think the 3.8-18 mark 5 is an interesting comparison with the nx8.... closer price point than atacr

With all due respect Razors and AMGs in particular aren't failing at some alarming rate, to imply otherwise is disingenuous. I do agree NF's track record is very good but vortex receives the same level of respect from me, if not for just venturing out to make an optic 99% in the US. Even if the failure rate is higher than NF (i'd guess it is) the sheer amount of Gen IIs out there i'd argue outnumber the ATACR. NF isn't perfect they're very good but google search or look here. 7-35s have gone down among others. I'm not trying to use the "shit happens" mentality but the AMG is likely to be a better buy than the NX8 given the deal posted above and preorder prices for the NX8. Don't get me wrong i hear ya but i'm in no way concerned buying a 2000+ optic from vortex. Maybe that's a more valid concern in the PST lineup.

That's also my entire point the AMG is an ATACR competitor and is that quality of optic and right now can be had for less than what the NX8 is retailing at. Guys have already stated the NX8 isn't an ATACR those that have put hands on at first glance, not to mention the limitations of the short form factor paired with an 8x erector. Speaking of the bigger MK5 i think it compares extremely well to the ATACR.

All that aside i should've PM'd him the link rather than get off topic. I'm still intrigued to see how the NX8 turns out right now less Leupold can develop a quality reticle in the next year or so the NX8 2.5-20x50 still looks to be the top competitor for an SPR oriented optic or even going on some hunting rifles just to bring them up to date. I did jump on the AMG though that deal was impossible to turn down considering the optic it is.

Last edited:
Can anyone give me a logical answer as to why NF puts yardages on the parallax adjustment of the SHV and ATACR but not the NXS/NX8? I understand the argument against them, but I prefer to have it as a hunter. I want to be able to quickly remove most (I know, I know - not all, just most) of the parallax at a given range in a hunting situation. I don't want to sit there and turn a knob back and forth and move my head to find the sweet spot.

Reactions: lennyo3034
I need I need it's so hard to wait, wait and wait guess I better go to work to save save to buy buy buy.

Personally I thought the 2.5-20 had too picky of an eyebox at the upper end. Found myself not like anything above 14 power. I just think compact scopes with 8x erectors are not there yet. Give me a NF "NX6" in the same size and I'd be perfectly happy with less mag range and more forgiveness. That's just me.

Personally I thought the 2.5-20 had too picky of an eyebox at the upper end. Found myself not like anything above 14 power. I just think compact scopes with 8x erectors are not there yet. Give me a NF "NX6" in the same size and I'd be perfectly happy with less mag range and more forgiveness. That's just me.

Was this mounted on a rifle or just holding by hand?

4-32 exhibit this?

Was this mounted on a rifle or just holding by hand?

4-32 exhibit this?
Mounted on demo stock. And yes, both. I wouldn't necessarily take my word for it because there are people out there that truly enjoy the 1-8 NX8. I just have a preference toward forgiving eyeboxes and I ultimately couldn't live with mine. If you don't mind them being tight, it may be the scope for you as the size, weight and illumination are killer.

Last edited:

I can't understand the appeal of all these new compact scopes, I'd much rather have a physically bigger scope to get optimal performance.
I understand why there are compact scopes out there and why they are appealing for some uses, but I don't understand why everything is going down that path.

As a further rant, why do they make a compact scope and still use a 56mm or even 50mm objective lense?
If you are sacrificing glass performance for size, why not go the whole hog and go for a 44mm objective lens?
Have a proper compact scope.

Reactions: bourbonbent
I can't understand the appeal of all these new compact scopes, I'd much rather have a physically bigger scope to get optimal performance.
I understand why there are compact scopes out there and why they are appealing for some uses, but I don't understand why everything is going down that path.

As a further rant, why do they make a compact scope and still use a 56mm or even 50mm objective lense?
If you are sacrificing glass performance for size, why not go the whole hog and go for a 44mm objective lens?
Have a proper compact scope.

There is a place for them, especially when running clip on NV on bolt guns, AR platforms, or with a gun where extra rail space is needed. I am not opposed to super shorts as I have a couple Vudu 5-25's, but they are not too picky likely because the erector is only 5x instead of 8x. I would love to see more options in the 3-18x44 range as you stated in a super short. You can do some really dumb stuff with a super short:D.
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190225111709665_COVER.jpg

Because there’s just something about a big old kahles/Steiner/vortex/nightforce 5-25 that doesn’t feel or look right on a small frame AR.

So manufacturers are making all their new scopes to look good on a AR?
When in reality most of them will be used on bolt guns?

Mounted on demo stock. And yes, both. I wouldn't necessarily take my word for it because there are people out there that truly enjoy the 1-8 NX8. I just have a preference toward forgiving eyeboxes and I couldn't live with mine for longer than 2 weeks. If you don't mind them being tight, it may be the scope for you.

What do you feel the useable upper range of the 32x was?

Interesting to note the quoted exit pupil. The 32x is the same as with the ATACR 7x-35x, the 2.5x-20x the same as the 4x-16x ATACR (w/ 42mm Objective).

Last edited:
So manufacturers are making all their new scopes to look good on a AR?
When in reality most of them will be used on bolt guns?
Yes, every one of them. You will no longer be able to buy any of the myriad of larger, higher powered scopes for your bolt rifles. All new scopes will be made for AR use only.

Reactions: deersniper
Yes, every one of them. You will no longer be able to buy any of the myriad of larger, higher powered scopes for your bolt rifles. All new scopes will be made for AR use only.

Thanks for clearing that up.

What I meant was why would they choose to make a scope thats suits AR use, but at the expense of a nearly unusable eyebox on maximum magnification?

There must be a better reason than it looks cool?

What do you feel the useable upper range of the 32x was?

Interesting to note the quoted exit pupil. The 32x is the same as with the ATACR 7x-35x, the 2.5x-20x the same as the 4x-16x ATACR (w/ 42mm Objective).
I don't remember that one as specifically as I remembered the 14x on the 2.5-20 so I'd rather not say. The 2.5-20 was what I was considering so I poured over it quite a bit more. I keep looking to upgrade my 4.5-18 LRHS on my precision hunting rig, but that damn thing just doesn't want to go. 4x erector FTW I guess. The only thing I wish is that it wasn't so dang long and I'd also take a 50mm objective. But the G2H just continues to keep me loyal for it's use case.

What I meant was why would they choose to make a scope thats suits AR use, but at the expense of a nearly unusable eyebox on maximum magnification?

Lol!

I really cannot answer that. I have neither seen the NX8 nor do I know about their strategy.

Everybody keeps asking for smaller and lighter, so they made smaller and lighter.

As for usable eyebox, I didn't see any problem with the ones I played with. I'm looking forward to trying a 2.5-20x for real, though.

Played with one at the NRA Show and was very impressed. I think the 2.5-20x was lighter than 28 ounces...going to be an excellent hunting option

I think we shouldn’t have “high” hope for the new NX8. Spec wise it look fantastic, it’s pretty much everything we wanted. But being an x8 in such small package, you gonna have limitation just like the NX8 1-8. At maximum mag, may be its barely useable, and i really don’t like the zero stop being offered on the NF, the low profit turret offered on the Atacr is much better.

I think we shouldn’t have “high” hope for the new NX8. Spec wise it look fantastic, it’s pretty much everything we wanted. But being an x8 in such small package, you gonna have limitation just like the NX8 1-8. At maximum mag, may be its barely useable, and i really don’t like the zero stop being offered on the NF, the low profit turret offered on the Atacr is much better.
No doubt, but it is nice to have a nightforce option with a 2.5 bottom magnification that can get up past 10x even if the 20x may be tough for practical purposes.

No doubt, but it is nice to have a nightforce option with a 2.5 bottom magnification that can get up past 10x even if the 20x may be tough for practical purposes.
Thats actually a great point. Even with my LRHS I don't go much above the 14x I found usable on the NX8 to begin with, but I would gain on the low end and also have a 50 objective and some extra mag for load testing....hmmm. Maybe I need to check it out one more time.

I preordered the NX8 4-32x50mm F1 with Mil-C. Will likely be July or August before I see it but I'll post my thoughts once it comes in.

Reactions: Muley Buck
I’ve got a 4-32 on pre-order as well for a strictly hunting setup. With there being no weight difference between the two, the 4-32 was a no brainer.

I’ve got a 4-32 on pre-order as well for a strictly hunting setup. With there being no weight difference between the two, the 4-32 was a no brainer.
I had the same line of thinking as you. Also I like it being a little bit longer because it will allow a little more play in the rings for better positioning. If I pick one up it will be a 4-32 as well.

Wow, am I behind. I’ve been so wrapped up in suppressors that I didn’t even know these existed.

Maybe this has been covered.

I see USO decided to use a 34 mm main tube on their ts 20x but NF elected to go with a 30 mm. I wonder why that was.

Maybe this has been covered.

I see USO decided to use a 34 mm main tube on their ts 20x but NF elected to go with a 30 mm. I wonder why that was.
I just don't know about USOs new stuff and used to be a huge supporter of them still have an SN-3 that is one of my favorite optics. Do wish i could change the reticle in it and it needs cleaning but they've fallen off to me, mainly cause of the lack of reticles until recent, but also the sheer size and admittedly the aesthetics of their optics (B25 mainly) I honestly don't know many using them either. In this case i'd lean pretty heavily towards NF.

As I want the 2.5-20 for my coyote rig, am I the only one that noticed the exit pupil on low power being 7.1mm? That isn’t ideal for low light, is it?

Life’s tough decisions... buy a Leupold Mk5 now or wait til these hit the stores!

As I want the 2.5-20 for my coyote rig, am I the only one that noticed the exit pupil on low power being 7.1mm? That isn’t ideal for low light, is it?

Life’s tough decisions... buy a Leupold Mk5 now or wait til these hit the stores!
There are many higher end scopes with way less exit at low power. I think that would do alright for low light conditions

Any thought to a SFP with a Max of 12 power for this?

I think (hope) that these will be FFP like the existing NX8. Otherwise it would make more sense to release them under the NXS line with the other SFP scopes wouldn't it?

I think (hope) that these will be FFP like the existing NX8. Otherwise it would make more sense to release them under the NXS line with the other SFP scopes wouldn't it?

They're confirmed FFP.

They're confirmed FFP.
I see that now, thanks! Here's to the new hope that they compare somewhat decently to the Razor HD2 4.5-27 in glass quality. I'd gladly lose a bit of resolution or brightness to get almost half the weight and more zoom range. My only regret with the 4.5-27 is how ridiculously heavy it is compared to anything else I own.

Reactions: 5RWill
I see that now, thanks! Here's to the new hope that they compare somewhat decently to the Razor HD2 4.5-27 in glass quality. I'd gladly lose a bit of resolution or brightness to get almost half the weight and more zoom range. My only regret with the 4.5-27 is how ridiculously heavy it is compared to anything else I own.
I agree with you on the Razor Gen2,the only problem was the weight.

that's what makes it great for a PRS rig, isn't it?
PRS Rifles are heavy enough....., there is somE debate among the PRS community about heavy your optic should be. I’ve seen more razors in the past and yes I’ve now seen mostly Nightforce 7-35 but I’ve also seen razors and I’ve also seen plenty of Atacr in 5-25 and this last two years a growing number of lighter weight optics (not certain if it’s anecdotal. I look at what the pros are using mostly....just one persons observation YMMV....

**UPDATE**Full specs and part numbers finally released. I should have a 2.5-20 headed my way soon to take a look at - very interested to see how it stacks up - ETA target is early JULY

CURRENT NX8 OPTIONS

Attachments

• NX8-32x-SpecSheet-28May19.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 170
  • NX8-20x-SpecSheet-28May19.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Reactions: 5RWill